Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2021 - The month-long mapping challenge (see you next year!)

On 9/18/2021 at 6:57 PM, Ryath (aka scwiba) said:

NaNoWADMo is only from October 1-31, but you set your own goals. So if you feel inspired now and want to get some mapping done, your goal in October could always just be to finish whatever you started in September.

Thanks!

Is dehacked stuff allowed?

I've changed my mind about participating, the ideas I have right now aren't motivating me enough at all.

Good luck to everyone else on their projects!

11 hours ago, Paf said:

Is dehacked stuff allowed?

It can be - if you decide it is.

On 9/6/2021 at 1:06 AM, DMPhobos said:

Im still working on the one i started on 2019.... where i was supposed to complete only 5 maps in total

heh 

still working on my "after dawn" and "gzfreepunk" projects, both originally started back in 2019... I haven't set any deadlines for myself just yet though and both are very demanding projects

"gzfreepunk" requires me to reach a level of animation that will be useable for a 3d doom monsters as well as updating 32 maps from classic doom 2 to udmf with gzdoom features

while "after dawn" requires me to add in loads and loads of 3d models and to do 32 udmf maps... I am having steady progress on adding 3d models to "after dawn" though... sadly I lost all the work I did on the first iteration of "after dawn", so some stuff I will need to redo from scratch

If I manage to do 2 maps or fill 2 map slots for my CP (booked), then I might join this as well

Just created my first map for this! It's vanilla, other maps might be limit removing.

It's a 1 hour speedmap.

Darn.

My resource wad isn't done and I still have at least three maps to finish for various community projects. Oh and I've been out of state for a week lmao. Don't worry, I'm getting something done, I've got a cool Ultimate Doom megawad concept rattling round my brain. 

I'm throwing my hat into the ring. The two rules I'm setting for myself:

1) RELEASE THE MAPS AT THE END OF THE MONTH. ON DOOMWORLD.

2) Make progress and share progress.

Hello there !

If there's still room for one more participant to NaNoWADMo 2021, I'll gladly join in 🤗

Thanks in advance ! :O

I think I will indeed have the time to do this and I've got at least some sense of what I want to do floating around, so go ahead and put my name down for this, please.

I assume, for those of you far East enough who haven't gone to bed yet, the event is already underway! Good luck everybody :)

My plans have been altered slightly - I've also got to try and get an extra map done for another project that I'm late for. So 33 maps to make in a month, and then I'll have to do the TITLEPIC, INTERPIC, BOSSBACK (maybe?) and CREDIT art in November - maybe M_DOOM, too, based on one of the others. This'll go well. 

Yep, we've already got a couple time zones with the green light. So if you're mapping in New Zealand or the easternmost parts of Russia, get crackin'! Good luck to everybody and I'm psyched to see what you all come up with!

I think I've signed everyone up in the second post, but let me know if I missed you. Just a reminder about the Discord if you haven't joined already. Things are heating up over on there!

6 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Great! I'm still working on my first. Oh well.

dang

Got my thing started! After some rudimentary planning, what I'm looking to make is a 20-level speedmap megawad in limit-removing format, spanning 4 "episodes" of 5 maps each with distinct themes.

ive really wanted to finish a project ive started way back in august, so this seems like a great opportunity to do just that! my plan for that is a set of   maybe around 15 small slaughtermaps (something like mscp) and ive got 2 done (back in august) and the third i actually already started right now !

All right, I've settled on my goal - not necessarily a full game this year, but to produce at least an engine prototype for a Doom dungeon crawler!

So far I have the grid movement working in a test level, a ton of behind-the-scenes coding done to fetch data from a Google sheet and write the game data files instead of doing it myself, and a system for defining how encounters behave - how often the player gets into them and what parties of monsters can appear.

Next, I'd like to work out a way of managing the player's inventory, allowing them to take along their own choice of weapons, ammunition and healing items to help them survive the sci-fi dungeon :)

@DavidN

cool and very inspiring...

and thanks for showing some examples of advanced zscript.

as a developer and doom fan I would love to be as good with zscript as you are one day.

but what if the fight arena was not the same one each time? could even be their actual location on the map but with limited movement area centered on where the encounter begins?

would it be possible to do a third party 3d pack for this with objects, pickups, monsters and maybe even weapons and more?

Edited by CBM

I've decided to actually make a, idk 12-map or smth wad. I wanna try to make colorful and unique-looking maps, that don't align with stereotypical themes (firery / bloody hell, tech bases, earthy tech bases, cities and so forth) that much.
Don't think I'll get it done in one month cause I map pretty slow and have school breathing down my neck, but hopefully I'll have something to share at the end of the month anyways. Already worked a little bit ahead of time, confident I'm gonna finish the first map tomorrow, but until then here are some screenies.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211003_103945.png.3432ede7b0f827b9846b02d4b907fb6c.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211003_104342.png.726eef271eee7eb124a24544d7c08168.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211003_104448.png.3202cc76883c35dde4ce499fcf404b6c.png

Hi! I will also join this project so I can use the deadline to make myself finish that abstract techbase-ish map that I'm working on right now instead of starting over again and again :) Just one map tying all those loose ends together.

Features I'll try to implement:
- Transforming area's
- Multi-music (homemade)
- Custom textures (homemade and cc4tex)
- Pretty coloring, dynamic lighting
- Heavy scripting (or light scripting, but a lot of it)

Good luck everybody!

Spoiler

image.png.c07a64a74e2b51f1041d3af8a2f3625e.png

Hello. I would like to participate this year if its not too late even though I certainly won't be able to complete it by the end of the month - at the very least I would have something to start and finish later in the winter!

Well, trying to get my first maps released, but I didn't have much time these days...

I'll try to make at least an episode for Doom 2(the name I don't know yet. I'm bad with names), in vanilla format. As this can be my first wad released, it will be something more simple, I guess.

One question: is necessary to post the wad while we progress or we need to post the screenshots only?

Just a couple of WIP shots from my first two maps (that are now finished with UV single-player + co-op starts):

PISS01_shot01.PNG

PISS02_shot01.PNG

The PISS isn't quite flowing as it needs to yet, but 2/32 ain't bad. The other map I'm working on is around 40-45% done as well. I sort-of need to get ahead of the month this week to stand a chance of finishing, but that's alright.

I am about 4 days late to even discover this and it's past October 1. Am I not allowed to participate anymore? Can I still do it?

4 minutes ago, mxbobbie49 said:

I am about 4 days late to even discover this and it's past October 1. Am I not allowed to participate anymore? Can I still do it?

Probably.

Remember to join the projects' discord server!

First map done!

- Boom-compatible, tested on complevel 9
- Difficulty settings are implemented
- slotted at MAP02
- Custom textures: cc4-tex
- Music: Jimmy, stewboy, SwordBolt

Nevermind.zip

Screenshots!

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211006_114643.png.240b72c1f751b49b5b42ba92cc938cc3.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211006_114727.png.246d30e2a613eb1caf771f3a41bd06dd.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211006_114757.png.d3015e1f120ca0382b28de9d937d30e2.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211006_115040.png.1546b0cc753296af4b978bb68757455f.png

Edited by C3ntralPr0cessing : Forgot to add the wad lol