Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2021 - The month-long mapping challenge (see you next year!)

WEEK ONE PROGRESS

• 2/11 maps complete + started next map
  • Resources (textures and graphics) compiled
  • Music and sounds selected + names chosen

I think this is going well but I'm not too confident on completing the project before Halloween. :)

Last year I said that I wanted to make a 5 level wad that I never ended up finishing. However, I never really gave up on it. A couple months ago I even managed to finish the toxic themed level I started on last year:

Spoiler

toxproc1.png.7048b76d5b2d20acd62175a14ce3821d.pngtoxproc2.png.838d81011dcd24d09b68d619eae4db91.pngtoxproc3.png.a9e87ae635b4b504fbf6b655b39bc0bc.png

I've made a few edits to the entryway level I made last year and have renamed it to Inertia, it will of course take map slot 01. Toxic Processing will take map 03 and I am currently working on map 02: Power Plant

Spoiler

WIP.png.4512ad7f311d85825300f0eb987a8878.pngWIP2.png.52e81e395edad53c9c27fd0b72a1a9ae.png

I only have the center piece and the very beginning done so far, but I don't plan for this to be a big level so I will hopefully have it done within the next couple weeks. I will post all 3 levels together when I am done with level 2.

A couple of screenies of the progress made the past few days.

* Reshaping the central area (which is blue) and built a computerwall
* Importing a toxic waste area with fancy 3D floors that I didn't use for the RAMP edition of Fish In A Barrel and applying it to this map.
* Making a certain transformation work correctly (and textures well aligned, ugh)
* A bunch of retexturing and recoloring. Currently happy with what is shown on the screenshots on that regard.

Screenshot_19.jpg

Screenshot_20.jpg

Screenshot_21.jpg

This part of the map is actually already fully finished and functional as a standalone mini-map (monsters not shown on the second screenshot). I transferred it to this current project and renumbered all the tags and sectors, I have an idea of when and where it will appear. If everything else fails I'll have at least this room to show by the end of the month *\o/*

Spoiler

Screenshot_22.jpg

Screenshot_23.jpg

Edited by A Handsome Fridge

I set myself the challenge to finally finish this map that's been in development hell for what feels like forever, to just get it done and accept whatever form it ends up taking so I can move on from it, and hopefully restore some of my momentum and confidence as a mapper which have had the wind taken out of their sails for a while now. Some recent progress:

Screenshot-Doom-20211010-180721.png
Screenshot-Doom-20211010-180731.png
Screenshot-Doom-20211010-180743.png
Screenshot-Doom-20211010-180820.png

Long story short, this started as "I'm going to make a vanilla map w/ vanilla textures", which ended up feeling too restrictive so I went back to UDMF. Then I realised I just wasn't happy limiting myself to vanilla textures, so CC4tex has been wheeled out among a few other staples and I've been retexturing mostly everything and reworking some bits that I wasn't happy with. Its gonna be a short, linear techbase level with a horror/suspense feel - hopefully what comes out of it will be near enough to that mark.

On 03.10.2021 at 07:49, DavidN said:

Хорошо, я остановился на своей цели - не обязательно полноценную игру в этом году, но создать хотя бы прототип движка для гусеничного подземелья Doom!

Пока что у меня есть движение сетки, работающее на тестовом уровне, тонна закулисного кодирования, сделанного для извлечения данных из таблицы Google и записи файлов данных игры вместо того, чтобы делать это самому, и система для определения того, как ведут себя встречи. - как часто игрок попадает в них и какие группы монстров могут появляться.

Затем я хотел бы разработать способ управления инвентарем игрока, позволяющий им брать с собой собственный выбор оружия, боеприпасов и лечебных предметов, чтобы помочь им выжить в научно-фантастическом подземелье :)

I very like your this work! :)

Alright, I did it. I made a playable partial preview of this project for anyone interested to check out (spoiler alert by the way, if you do)! Please note that this is about 1/3 of the intended end product, maybe even less. But it is fully polished, playable and populated and ready for playtesting. I'll be away for a few days so I thought it would be nice to leave a little teaser behind.

Let me know what you think of it so far and if you encounter anything weird that isn't supposed to be weird. Thank you very much in advance.

Port: GZdoom
Main WAD: Doom2.WAD
Additional texture packs: cc4tex
Crouching\Jumping: Disabled
Difficulty Settings: Not (yet) implemented

To be continued..

[edit: this preview is deprecated and therefore I removed the wad]

My thing is progressing steadily. Here's a couple tweets with screenshots:

13 out of 21 maps are currently done, looking to make the rest by the 28th so I can do some playtesting runs, fix any bugs I come across and release the thing on the last weekend of the month.

*sigh* I knew this would happen. Two weeks later and I've made zero progress. Still on 2 completed maps out of 11, it's gonna be a very short initial project :/

progress1.jpg
progress2.jpg

Had an unexpected burst of clarity recently and totally redesigned an entire area (which I've been blankly staring at for weeks, not knowing where to go with it) to a level I'm a lot more satisfied with, incorporating my original idea for the end of the map. Got two larger bits to figure out plus the exit and a couple bits of interconnectivity, so it looks like this will be ready to go by the end of the month with any luck.

Should be done soon...haven't shown screenshots as I want it to be a surprise for my first real map.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:58 PM, Scorpius said:

*sigh* I knew this would happen. Two weeks later and I've made zero progress. Still on 2 completed maps out of 11, it's gonna be a very short initial project :/

Same boat here; October 1st I had the best of intentions, October 2nd marked the start of a week to ten days of just being slammed mentally and emotionally and my momentum just never got going, with a single map that I've been dropping five minutes into here, ten minutes there, but nothing really substantial.  Guess I'll see if I can finish that one map and use that as the basis for a project that develops at a steadier pace, but who even knows?

Hey there, fellow people who actually take time to check out everyone's contributions to NaNoWADMo 2021 !

I can't wait to release the Demo version of Black N' Blanco II to Doomworld. More action, more pixels, more memes and sick tunes. Stuff condensed in a neat single-map WAD, for the best gaming experience !

Some sneak peek images of the (hopefully) finished product :

Spoiler

78581927_2021-10-2619_40_17-Window.png.dd05b61998dc745afaf1d1bdacc79906.png

700851159_2021-10-2619_51_12-Window.png.4b5f92b7e2643d47cb6ba60fac630b5a.png

1807451619_2021-10-2619_52_55-Window.png.4e0bd4260e4fbcc332d205b1117ddd19.png

Edited by Origamyde

Yeah I won't be able to submit anything. Too much work, not enough free time. I did manage to finish 2 maps from before though.

My NaNoWADMo speedmap megawad came out yesterday. Say hello to Charcoal!

I did some playtesting of Doom Hockey today, and it's working pretty well! I was pretty scared that multiplayer scripting in GZDoom would break apart, but so far it's been pretty stable. Eventually I want to get some 4v4 matches going, but for now I consider this a resounding success! If anyone is interested, I have a playtesting Discord set up for some scheduled playtests before the end of the month is here: https://discord.gg/rQh92bFd

Here's uncut footage of a few matches, feel free to skip around and check out how it's working with a few weapons in use.

Well, I finished 2 out of 7 maps of One Way to Hell this month, I don't know if I still can add any map, but I want to make it a 32-level wad in the future.

Screenshots for Map 01:

doom06.png.00185f533c105248c08d6f90f54e15c9.png

map01-03.png.e7c90b57be670f15e932135e25ea8504.png

Map 02:

map02-01.png.d424fb1c91df7cbbbc3692fd7e30d848.png

map02-02.png.08ec62602b09b9c9c598493bbddbfc83.png

What did I get done during NaNoWadMo? 1½ maps. Impressive, ik, but there's only so much you can do when you're simultaniously being smothered with class tests, homework and presentations. But hey, here are some screenshots from the WIP-map, I might just get it done over the christmas holidays '. w.

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211031_135952.jpg.1caf61c4b07c93bc290a522a9466f94d.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20211031_135932.jpg.3deb97ee1067a15bb6623bdbb5a91adf.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20211031_140050.png.064b86a637aabf217127a9a859d6cfe7.png

Well, I will not be able to post everything I wanted to share before the end of the deadline. But I *can* give you this preview version of the fully playable parts of what I've accomplished this month. I expect the middle part (which is something new and different from what I had orignally planned) to be done later this week, so a real update will be placed by then. But for now I present:

Down In It (2021 NaNoWADMo PREVIEW version)

In this wad:
- Transforming areas
- Homemade music (MP3 format, sorry for file size)
- A bunch of scripting
- Dynamic lights
- Easy difficulty (there's only one difficulty setting, first part is just not that hard.)
- Hard difficulty (sorry about the difficulty spike ;) )

Not in this WAD:
About 1/3 of the map?
A bunch of other rooms that I decided not to include in this map (for now)

Plenty of unrevealed stuff left for later, so to speak.
1210762872_promopicturecopy.jpg.10f1eddd87feaca2094a3615296a7a61.jpg

Technical information:

Name: HFR - Down In It - Preview.WAD
Map Format: UDMF.
Ports Tested: GZDoom g4.6.0. (OpenGL, lights, brightmaps and widescreen enabled)
IWAD: DOOM2
Resources used: CC4-tex.WAD (required!), a few custom textures.
Map: E1M1.
Music: Hard Assets (loop 1), Stumbler. Both by me, in .MP3 format
Gameplay: Single play.
Difficulty Settings: Only UV.
Multiplayer Placement: No.
Build Time: A few weeks, including the music
Requirements: Jumping and crouching are disabled, freelook is optional.

Screenshots: Well, I already put those earlier in this thread, I guess.

HFR - Down In It - Preview.rar

NOSTRADAMUS

One last map to end the adrenaline rush to meet the deadline! 3 maps are now compiled but 8 more still remain... Project thread and demo linked below, thank you all for this wonderful opportunity. Hope to see everyone next NaNoWADMo! ツ

Unfortunately, I was busy with IRL stuff this month, so I was unable to make a project for this event. However, I did make some maps for a separate project I started a month ago, so at least I got some stuff done.