Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
scwiba

NaNoWADMo 2021 - The month-long mapping challenge (see you next year!)

For those scrolling down this thread, you can now play the demo version of BNBII over here :

This nanowadmo has been a much better than the last year's. I finished a dm map for Gothic21 & started a map for Community Trunk project which I'm also happy about.

See ya next year for more!

17 hours ago, A Handsome Fridge said:

Well, I will not be able to post everything I wanted to share before the end of the deadline. But I *can* give you this preview version of the fully playable parts of what I've accomplished this month. I expect the middle part (which is something new and different from what I had orignally planned) to be done later this week, so a real update will be placed by then. But for now I present:

Down In It (2021 NaNoWADMo PREVIEW version)

In this wad:
- Transforming areas
- Homemade music (MP3 format, sorry for file size)
- A bunch of scripting
- Dynamic lights
- Easy difficulty (there's only one difficulty setting, first part is just not that hard.)
- Hard difficulty (sorry about the difficulty spike ;) )

Not in this WAD:
About 1/3 of the map?
A bunch of other rooms that I decided not to include in this map (for now)

Plenty of unrevealed stuff left for later, so to speak.
1210762872_promopicturecopy.jpg.10f1eddd87feaca2094a3615296a7a61.jpg

Technical information:

Name: HFR - Down In It - Preview.WAD
Map Format: UDMF.
Ports Tested: GZDoom g4.6.0. (OpenGL, lights, brightmaps and widescreen enabled)
IWAD: DOOM2
Resources used: CC4-tex.WAD (required!), a few custom textures.
Map: E1M1.
Music: Hard Assets (loop 1), Stumbler. Both by me, in .MP3 format
Gameplay: Single play.
Difficulty Settings: Only UV.
Multiplayer Placement: No.
Build Time: A few weeks, including the music
Requirements: Jumping and crouching are disabled, freelook is optional.

Screenshots: Well, I already put those earlier in this thread, I guess.

HFR - Down In It - Preview.rar

This is looks cool, i try it later!

15 hours ago, SilentD00mer said:

Well, here is my first released wad. I tried to make some short introductory maps and learn about mapping in the process. I enjoyed to participate so much, thank you all for the opportunity! :)

One Way To Hell - Preview:

OneWayToHell_Preview.zip

Nice little map buddeh - congrats on ur first release. Those hitscanners cut me up to swiss cheese - good times - thanks for @Biodegradable for recommendation !

Woo! I actually did it! It's nice to release something after a month and I'm glad I'm not dead at IMPROV!

"What this isn't IMPROV 2!"

Improv 2 GOT BIG. Like really big in the span of a month.

I have so much ideas for this mod. (including but not including some involuntarily guest doomers!) 

and I'm sure this might take a while to release.(Hopefully not as long as Linear.)

So for now, enjoy 172943163_download(1).png.63f6a0871c6b3ae3939f6ae642f71339.png

Hey everyone! Keep the projects coming and I will be adding them to the first page of the thread for easy access. Anyone who's up for playtesting can refer to this post for a complete list.

I know I saw a lot more work getting done on the Discord than just the handful of WADs listed now. Don't be afraid to post what you have! No one expects completely polished and perfect maps, and this is a great opportunity to get feedback on whatever you've got.

As always, thank you so much to everyone who signed up, participated, and hung out with us for the month! This was our biggest NaNoWADMo to date and I can only hope it keeps growing. I'll see you next October -- though I also hope the event jump-started your creativity engines and maybe you'll keep mapping in the meantime!

Edited by Ryath (aka scwiba)

My contribution this year: Satanic Synthesis.rar

A short level with some light puzzles, cool music and even cooler visuals.

Runs on Gzdoom and was built with Boom.

(Custom Hud not included)

Screenshot_Doom_20211103_192257.png.7f664fbd61c6ce2991e8b17eff629b3f.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211103_192359.png.3754e2c0374547ce7bd964f25cfdbada.png

Edited by ChestedArmor

So I wasn't able to get much done this month, so instead I'll post the finished version of the map I started last year.

Name: Toxic Processing

IWAD: DOOM2.WAD

map: 03

complevel: BOOM (9)

difficulty settings: YES

resources: CC4-TEX.WAD (required)

ports tested: GZDOOM, PRBOOM-PLUS (NOTE to PRBOOM players: please set the option "Use passes thru all special lines" to ON or one of the switches won't work. I don't know what causes this glitch and I'm not sure if I care anymore)

music: Devils Lab (from Final Fantasy VI)

Screenshots

Spoiler

toxproc1.png.fa2d7470fcb93d3d71f42578c7970985.pngtoxproc2.png.47ca63d1b11a7d20c7c5799c41449dd5.pngtoxproc3.png.00b0010caf44c7cb40e9bd8eebc598a5.png

Download: toxproc.zip

So... when I realized the initial idea I had for nanowadmo this year wasn't gonna work, I tried to use the month for something regardless. I thought it'd be a really stupid idea to make several maps every day. The idea made me laugh, and then made me actually consider it. When the month started, I began making maps.

I documented my progress on the nanoawdmo discord server.

The end result?

100 maps. All made within the same month. They're all quite short and small, and there's at least one which is a straight shot to the exit from the start, but I tried to make them all decent at least!

They were all made in 15 minutes, plus some extra time to make sure they were possible to complete. The play time for the average map tended to be between 30 seconds to 1 minute.

I didn't want to say anything about it anywhere aside from the nanowadmo discord for whatever reason... but screw it, I did this, I should put it all somewhere where people can see it!

Note that these maps were all made as separate wad files, with default sky and music. Turn off the game's default music if you're intending to play these and not get annoyed by D_RUNNIN.

Compatibility is intended to be vanilla, but without static limits.

Below is the link to a zip file with the maps, organized via folders by the date they were made. Also included are several text files that give context and describe maps.

Micromaps all.zip

If I were to go further with this massive pile of maps I'd try and put them all in one big wad (or several full megawads). The end result would be a mapset of many maps that doesn't take a lot of time due to each individual map's runtime being quite short. Thing is, if I do compile them I kinda want to give them some proper flair rather than just using default music... and maybe mix the map order up as well.

Not sure if I'm going to actually do that quite yet, but it is a possibility.

50 minutes ago, Scypek2 said:

especially to people not following me on Discord

Gibe me link pls D8

13 hours ago, Noiser said:

Gibe me link pls D8

It's right there. I moved it from the middle to the bottom of the post now to be more noticeable.

13 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

It's right there. I moved it from the middle to the bottom of the post now to be more noticeable.

Heh, I mean the discord channel where you post (but hey I don't want to derail the thread, so nevermind XD)

On 11/9/2021 at 12:16 PM, Scypek2 said:

Oh yeah, I guess the month's over, huh?

My project is still very far from over... but I did get plenty of fun stuff done. I definitely have something interesting to show off by now... especially to people not following me on Discord. But also to everyone... because this seems like a good moment to give people a sneak peak of the gameplay.

Screenshot_Doom_20211007_190253.pngScreenshot_Doom_20211007_190524.png

DOWNLOAD IT NOW YAY

Sorry for the bump, but these resources are so well made, and the EVIL frames of the Imp's face when he picks up a gun is just too damn amazing. I love this 0.1 alpha version!

On 12/21/2021 at 9:02 PM, Doomkid said:

Sorry for the bump, but these resources are so well made, and the EVIL frames of the Imp's face when he picks up a gun is just too damn amazing. I love this 0.1 alpha version!

Agree. This map was really cool! I'd love to see it finished.