Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NinjaDelphox

5 Maps with only 100 Lines

I was watching the Doom Speed Demos twitch channel today and saw a wad called 100 Lines, and thought it would be interesting to try and make my own maps with only 100 Lines. It's surprisingly hard to actually make a cohesive map with this limit, but I think I did my best, made this is only an hour. Doom II IWAD and Complevel 2. Hope you enjoy! 100LinesNDE.zip Edit: Fixed 2 missing textures and broken secrets in Map 05. Oops lol1.png.f6ccd82ee3e2d18fb02f696d87cb025b.png2.png.12a549576ddab583539f36a39b30d7d3.png3.png.992e7d3c476b5bf7b1cb2045e3e87e6e.png4.png.5ef3728e834315c609d61ad03b27a3f5.png5.png.91656ff5e46269df732aa26e18bbf31a.png

Edited by NinjaDelphox

Looks pretty neat for a limit of 100 lines... Certainy gonna give it a try, Mr. Pokémon :)

First three maps are okay, although the entire wad feels like "Ima just throw a bunch of random demons in this very confined area."

Maps 04 and 05 have broken secrets - you cannot tag them.

Took me forever to figure out that teleporter, oh my.

I love 100 linedef maps! By the way, if you want to make longer maps but stay within this limit, try to stick to triangular sectors as much as possible.

5 hours ago, Astro X said:

First three maps are okay, although the entire wad feels like "Ima just throw a bunch of random demons in this very confined area."

Maps 04 and 05 have broken secrets - you cannot tag them.

Took me forever to figure out that teleporter, oh my.

This was kinda just an experiment for me, I tried making fights that would be interesting for me and this ended up being the result. Map 4's secret isn't broken, 5's were but I fixed them quickly after realizing they were haha. Thank you for playing it!

Nice wad, definitely tougher than I expected. Map01 is just a warm-up. Map02 has some pretty nasty archvile placement; I'm still not sure what the best strategy is, but sitting back for a while and SSGing things while the central archvile infights seems to work well at the beginning. Trying to grab the RL and megasphere immediately would get me killed pretty consistently. Map03 is more straightforward. Map04 is counterintuitive, as attempting to circlestrafe right away and grab all the weapons tends to result in death. What worked for me was to just grab the SSG, return to the starting platform, and just let everything infight for a few seconds, shooting when necessary, and the arena is eventually clear enough to safely grab the goods. Map05 is the most intimidating but took me surprisingly few attempts; maps 2 and 4 killed me more. Unfortunately, this is the version of the wad with the broken secrets on map05, so my run technically isn't "UV-Max" like the video title advertises, but might as well be.

38 minutes ago, Pseudonaut said:

Nice wad, definitely tougher than I expected. Map01 is just a warm-up. Map02 has some pretty nasty archvile placement; I'm still not sure what the best strategy is, but sitting back for a while and SSGing things while the central archvile infights seems to work well at the beginning. Trying to grab the RL and megasphere immediately would get me killed pretty consistently. Map03 is more straightforward. Map04 is counterintuitive, as attempting to circlestrafe right away and grab all the weapons tends to result in death. What worked for me was to just grab the SSG, return to the starting platform, and just let everything infight for a few seconds, shooting when necessary, and the arena is eventually clear enough to safely grab the goods. Map05 is the most intimidating but took me surprisingly few attempts; maps 2 and 4 killed me more. Unfortunately, this is the version of the wad with the broken secrets on map05, so my run technically isn't "UV-Max" like the video title advertises, but might as well be.

Great playthrough, that was very fun to watch! For Map 02 the best strategy I found was grab the SSG, Kill the Hell Knights, then telefrag the central Arch Vile and then jump for the invulnerability, it works most of the time. Map 04 is pretty hard until you clear a space for yourself, especially since I made the floor 20 damage, I initially had monsters start behind you like in Map 03, but that was far too evil with the high damage floor. I'm sorry about me being dumb and not realizing those secrets in Map 05 weren't taggable. I added them in after I tested thinking they would just work, but of course they didn't lol. And the missing textures. Thank you for Playing!

You forgot to specify if this WAD requires a certain source port or not.

The original WAD crashed in Chocolate Doom right when I started the executable because the TITLEPIC is 320x256 instead of 320x200 like what vanilla Doom expects. The INTERPIC also has this problem.

So to make it work, I squished them to 320x150, and then did a little pan n' scan to 240x150, and then resized it to 320x200. It still doesn't look right, so you should have made the screenshot in 320x200 mode directly as Doom's title screen generally expects. I am now requesting permission to upload this modified WAD.

These levels are packed with way too many enemies. I'm literally playing in HNTR, and MAP01 was a pain. Too many pinkies, chaingunners hidden behind nets, and revenants, all in a tiny room.

I know you're making maps under the 100 line limit, but you're certainly not under a map size limitation too, right?

MAP02 was when I had to ragequit. Cacodemons facing me right at the start, lots of barons, quite a bit of chaingunners, a mancubus, an archvile, all in the same room. And even worse, the platforms are too low for you to actually be able to hide from the archvile.

I could not complete this level, so I'm sorry, but I cannot say anything about levels 3-5.

Nice music though.

1 hour ago, Nikku4211 said:

You forgot to specify if this WAD requires a certain source port or not.

The original WAD crashed in Chocolate Doom right when I started the executable because the TITLEPIC is 320x256 instead of 320x200 like what vanilla Doom expects. The INTERPIC also has this problem.

So to make it work, I squished them to 320x150, and then did a little pan n' scan to 240x150, and then resized it to 320x200. It still doesn't look right, so you should have made the screenshot in 320x200 mode directly as Doom's title screen generally expects. I am now requesting permission to upload this modified WAD.

These levels are packed with way too many enemies. I'm literally playing in HNTR, and MAP01 was a pain. Too many pinkies, chaingunners hidden behind nets, and revenants, all in a tiny room.

I know you're making maps under the 100 line limit, but you're certainly not under a map size limitation too, right?

MAP02 was when I had to ragequit. Cacodemons facing me right at the start, lots of barons, quite a bit of chaingunners, a mancubus, an archvile, all in the same room. And even worse, the platforms are too low for you to actually be able to hide from the archvile.

I could not complete this level, so I'm sorry, but I cannot say anything about levels 3-5.

Nice music though.

Yeah you can post the version with the fixed title and intermission images.

It would be interesting to see more of an effort to maximise content vs line count, as these are all basically single arena levels.  For comparison, here's the map that triggered the 100lines WAD, which actually manages to squeeze in about 8-10 separate rooms, thanks to some clever (if I do say so myself) use of vertical space:

image.png.77467e92d9d577954e35e80c0c8ea059.png

Edited by Capellan

1 hour ago, Capellan said:

It would be interesting to see more of an effort to maximise content vs line count, as these are all basically single arena levels.  For comparison, here's the map that triggered the 100lines WAD, which actually manages to squeeze in about 8-10 separate rooms, thanks to some clever (if I do say so myself) use of vertical space:

image.png.77467e92d9d577954e35e80c0c8ea059.png

I tried making a map like that but I just couldn't with the limit lol, I did this as a break from my main project I am working on so I kinda just made maps I thought looked nice with a high emphasis on short burst challenges.

Adding to the words of Capellan and Ryath here, I'm gonna pop in and say that 2s linedefs are your friend here in a way you wouldn't have previously imagined. Align the heights of your sectors well enough and two-sided line becomes a wall for two rooms; as long as one of them occupies the floor/ceiling space of another, you're good to go. Of course, such a difference in heights and a wish to conserve lines means that you may be leaning in lifts rather than stairs for traversal.

If I may be so bold, my own 900 Deep in the Dead is a good study for this kind of mapping limitation; some of the ways I've played around with linedef economy include E1M5's dynamically-changing layout, E1M6's "elevator hub" design and whatever ritual sacrifice I employed to get the wonderfully-nonlinear E1M7 working (I'm kidding, of course, but it is very much the summation of all the tricks I'd picked up from making a bunch of 100-line maps up until that point).

This being said, it is excellent to see another mapper rising to the challenge of this format. Great work!

I think these levels are awesome the way they are! Bright hellish aesthetics and hectic cramped one-room strategic fights are a great stylistic counterpart to the scaled-down KDID techbases of e.g. Project Alpha or Complex. I don't think this WAD is lacking in content or cleverness.

100LinesNDE.zip

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Default plus

Deaths → a lot :/

Saves → none

Well, this set of maps has been truly challenging, and in truth I will only say that I felt pain everywhere, and that, despite these complications, the truth that I have liked what would come being the kind of details and decorations that have I had each of these maps, and in truth I have enjoyed them quite a lot without a doubt, although what stands out the most about this small set of maps, was the fact that it had quite a few enemies to be defeating, because seriously, each one of the zones were of slaughter, and strategy was required to the utmost. Unfortunately I couldn't kill everyone on maps 04 and 05, it was too much of a fight that I found it stressful at one point that I was reappearing, and I was only aiming to get out of there without facing the enemies present to a great extent... but hey I'll just say that the Wad was good, there is plenty of action to offer here, and one of these days I will return to take a second try with this set of maps, because they were quite entertaining. Great job and I hope to see news that you get to bring, buddy.

14 hours ago, ElPadrecitoCholo said:

100LinesNDE.zip

Ultra-Violence || Zandronum || Default plus

Deaths → a lot :/

Saves → none

Well, this set of maps has been truly challenging, and in truth I will only say that I felt pain everywhere, and that, despite these complications, the truth that I have liked what would come being the kind of details and decorations that have I had each of these maps, and in truth I have enjoyed them quite a lot without a doubt, although what stands out the most about this small set of maps, was the fact that it had quite a few enemies to be defeating, because seriously, each one of the zones were of slaughter, and strategy was required to the utmost. Unfortunately I couldn't kill everyone on maps 04 and 05, it was too much of a fight that I found it stressful at one point that I was reappearing, and I was only aiming to get out of there without facing the enemies present to a great extent... but hey I'll just say that the Wad was good, there is plenty of action to offer here, and one of these days I will return to take a second try with this set of maps, because they were quite entertaining. Great job and I hope to see news that you get to bring, buddy.

I apologize for the pain hahaha, glad you enjoyed it overall and thank you for playing!

6 hours ago, NinjaDelphox said:

I apologize for the pain hahaha, glad you enjoyed it overall and thank you for playing!

Nah, alright mate, it wasn't really that bad, and you're welcome, a pleasure to participate in any kind of madness that happens around here, huh

This was pretty fun! I like how the maps get more hectic the further you progress. Overall level designs seem to lend themselves well to pacifist play, which makes the set more entertaining to get through :p

6 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

This was pretty fun! I like how the maps get more hectic the further you progress. Overall level designs seem to lend themselves well to pacifist play, which makes the set more entertaining to get through :p

That was a lot of fun to watch! Thank you for playing. I didn't even think about it at the time I was making these, but the jump from Map 01 to 02 is pretty insane haha. I liked the idea of making small maps and making the player have to carve out space for themselves. Pacifist in these would probably be really hard besides Map 01 lol.