Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hawk of The Crystals

What Are Some Comics, Tv Shows, Cartoons Or Webseries That You Love, But Absolutely Despise The Community Of?

The question itself is in the title, so just comment down below.

Also, not wanting anything to do with the community while you enjoy something on it's own counts.

Spoiler

For me, it's a very close tie between JJBA and NGE.

My favourite TV Show of all time is Drake and Josh. I really love that show, it's funny, it has some great funny lines, the acting is amazing and it's fun seeing some two idiots always get in trouble. It's funny and I love it

Sonic; I like the games, but I cannot for the life of me interact with the rest of the fanbase; too much drama over which line of games are bad or which ones are good.

Dark Souls in terms of games.

Regarding TV series and stuff, I don't really get into community stuff. I absolutely hated when everything was all about The Walking Dead, though. As far as I'm concerned, the series had already gone to shit by the time everybody started talking about it. I enjoyed the first season, that's it. Even then, there were a lot of issues.

None of it was good enough to warrant the constant cheeseball discussions about a zombie apocalypse, or the fact that I had to look at ads everyone online with shit like "Which Walking Dead character are you? Take this quiz to find out!".

Edited by TheMagicMushroomMan

rick and morty. this show is an classic example of "great thing bad community". the show by itself is absolutely hilarious. but holy shit the community is absolute hell. the old rick and morty musicallys or whatever that app was called. that shit is so fucking cancer i would rather rip my teeth out and shove them down my ass

The Wendy's community is a shitshow. They recently launched an official Discord server and I was curious to check it out. Big mistake. It's active to the point where messages are scrolling by too quickly for anyone to really engage with anything being said. This is what it accurately looks like:

User: When is Wendy gon stream Fortnite again?

User: Wendy is HOT!

User: (horribly racist thing)

User: Wendy's food good!

User: (inane vaccine conspiracy)

User: sdafh;lkjaweth;asiegfh

I don't see how this is helping the company in any way. Also, automatically deleting any messages that contain the names of their competitors seems unnecessary. You can call someone the n-word and (as far as I have seen) get away with it, but you can't say Burger King or KFC. 

Edited by [McD]James

In general the fandom behind gaming is just god fucking awful, much more so for every step you are away from what's seen as the default demographic. Like, there's a reason "gamer words" became a meme. Back when I played more online games, if I made any allusion to not being of the one socially acceptable demographic, SPM (slurs per minute) of private messages sent to me would go staggeringly high. For specific games, Dark Souls comes to mind. They aren't particular worse as far bigotry or anything like that goes, just that fans of games primarily talked about for being gritty and hard can be very very annoying, and this specifically seems to be prominent with the Souls series. For more of that sort of annoying thing though, just look up any video with "game journalism" and "difficulty" on youtube for a joke that was already tired upon arrival.

A more specific fandom I've had a lot of experience in, the Brony fandom. The one surrounding the cartoon horse show, My Little Pony. Spent a lot of time in it a bit more than half a decade ago and since then just looked at it from a distance. Should be clear how shit some parts of a fandom having its starts on 4chan would be. Was clear to me even has a 15-18 year old child, so I tried to keep away from certain parts of it. Wasn't good at articulating what was wrong then, sure as hell ain't now, but when lots of fanfiction and art of nazi ponies is around and just really normalized and saying anything against it is seen as being political about it, there is a very big obvious problem. A problem not unique to the Brony fandom whatsoever. Fascists have been trying to radicalize people in niche nerdy communities for years. It's where I noticed it first though. Still watch the show here and there with people I know now but got no involvement in that community anymore.

I really like the Dead by Daylight online horror game. Although it has many balancing flaws, the game for casual or newer players is really fun. If you don't play to win, it's great.

But its community, its fans and regulars are absolute pieces of sh*t. Most of them are raged induced, egotistic, selfish, terrible sportsmanship, verbally abusive and love to exploit glitches.

I don't think it's intentional but the very design of the game and the psychological impact from winning or losing definitely brings out these traits in people if they become too invested in the game. And being an online game, it does everything it can to keep players invested so... inevitable.

I still want to play but, but I can't handle the players and community anymore.

Killing Floor 2, though I never engaged the community nor play the game any more.

There was one person on the KF2 Steam forums who kept suggesting illogical weapons for certain Perks and was very insistent on them for the 2 years I played the game. The one that sticks out in my mind is adding the M249 SAW for the Commando Perk. There was already a similar weapon in the Stoner 63A, but he insisted on the SAW using a 60-round casket mag: while the SAW can be mag-fed or belt-fed from the get-go, it was my understanding that loading mags into a SAW was only done in an emergency and it didn't feed reliably. It just made the SAW an overweight assault rifle with a fat mag sticking out the side, in which case why even bother with the SAW if an assault rifle with the fat mag would do the job without the bloat? Overall, I got the impression that he put out these suggestions because he wanted the devs to make the game easier for him instead of learning the game mechanics; I wouldn't go so far as to say "git gud" because I hate that thought-terminating phrase with a vengeance. Oh, and he wanted the devs to port the game to UE4 because the game ran terribly on his rig.

The Reddit side wasn't much better because of all the arguments dissecting every little bit to the point of pedantry. One guy had a hate-on for any Perk that wasn't accuracy-based, like Demolitions and especially Firebug. Even though I did agree with most of what he said, his penchant bordering on fetish for point-by-point evisceration of opposing arguments turned me off that guy.

It wasn't the community that caused me to stop playing KF2 since I mostly played solo, it was the devs' two-facedness about DLC that convinced me.

Do you remember the very first version of Killing Floor? The one that was a single-player experience for UT2k4? I do. I remember being disappointed when they changed it all for what it is now after promising updates. Alex Quick took my disappointment as a personal attack and proceeded to harass me on ModDB for months.

Personally I think the game KF eventually wound up being is kinda crap and forever in the shadow of CoD Zombies, but it's Alex Quick and his sycophants who most left an impression on me.

From experience, I have learned never to admit loving Invader Zim around people IRL. Jeez, no.

Back in 2017 I used to watch Rick And Morty, when I started to look into it's community I just quit all together not to be associated with them (same reason I'll never refer myself as a "gamer")

15 hours ago, june gloom said:

Do you remember the very first version of Killing Floor? The one that was a single-player experience for UT2k4? I do. I remember being disappointed when they changed it all for what it is now after promising updates. Alex Quick took my disappointment as a personal attack and proceeded to harass me on ModDB for months.

Personally I think the game KF eventually wound up being is kinda crap and forever in the shadow of CoD Zombies, but it's Alex Quick and his sycophants who most left an impression on me.

Oh wow, I never knew that about Alex. I came in when the game went retail and the story was that he had major depression while making the mod. That was still a dick move nonetheless.

Oh this just got uglier. The CEO of Tripwire just stepped down because of backlash over an anti-abortion law he voiced support for. I knew that he was a Jesus guy, but damn...

Edited by Chow Yun Thin

Star Trek. I refuse, rightly or wrongly, to be lectured about it by someone who wasn't even born yet while I was already watching TOS in syndication, before TNG even started. 

Sonic The Hedgehog. Someone else mentioned this above. Love the games, love (much of) the comics, love the character,  love me that classic SatAM. Most of the fandom makes me sick. If you were a fan during the early Deviantart days during the late 00's through the early teens, you'll know just how sick this got. 

Star Wars. Much like Star Trek above. I have the scripts of Episodes 4, 5 and 6 burned into my skull, I can recite all three of them like a Klingon storyteller. 

Sunstone, one of my fav comics, actually. But it's a fandom composed largely of joiners, posers, tire kickers, wet feet and people who got bored with Twilight and 50 Shades Of Grey. 

Call of Duty. Worst community in all of gaming but the games are great.

Nu Doom. Brought too many chuds and "RIP AND TEAR LMAO" people in. 

Path of Exile. At least on Reddit, the absolute scrubbiest community out there, constantly asking for the devs to hold their hand and give them mirror-tier items with little to no effort. 

The doom 2016 and eternal community on youtube.  The google bot that listens to you picked up on the fact that I liked the newer doom games and it has shown me a nonstop recommendations for people who complain about games journalists for not liking their favorite game.  Even when I find that I agree with the criticisms that they present it's tainted with the idea that they are "Objectively correct" rather than a disagreement about art.  I just want to stop seeing "Rip and tear, journos mad" in the thumbnails when I want to listen to questionably legal audiobooks. 

As for something that isn't doom, I really enjoy the Halo series but if I hear one more thing about 343 being not as good as bungie I will resort to violence.

1 hour ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

As for something that isn't doom, I really enjoy the Halo series but if I hear one more thing about 343 being not as good as bungie I will resort to violence.

It really does feel like 343 gets too much shit, I can understand not liking 5, but 4 was pretty decent.

4 hours ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

Oh wow, I never knew that about Alex. I came in when the game went retail and the story was that he had major depression while making the mod. That was still a dick move nonetheless.

Oh this just got uglier. The CEO of Tripwire just stepped down because of backlash over an anti-abortion law he voiced support for. I knew that he was a Jesus guy, but damn...

And it's fair to reason that Gibson would have hired like-minded people. We can't really know what's going on in the minds of other Tripwire employees, Quick included, without them telling us, but I wouldn't be surprised if Gibson wasn't the only reactionary Christian nationalist in the company.

Left 4 Dead comes to mind, might not be as infamous for being 'cringe' (probably the last time you'll ever see me use that word) as stuff like Jojo and Rick And Morty, but for a supposedly co-operative game, people sure will go ballistic over absolutely fucking nothing, Versus mode is basically unplayable for that reason, if you join a server and the rest of the players are friends with each other, just leave instantly because they're going to set you up for failure and then kick you for failing, either that or xXPr0Gam3r69Xx is going to adlib his own version of the navy SEAL copypasta because nobody revived him on account of the fact everyone else would've needed a plane to get to him in time. Similarly, in Street Fighter 2, a game with no SBMM, no ELO or rank, in other words nothing that incentivises winning and thereby deincentivises losing, probably at least 1 in 10 matches I have is with some absolute spineless dickhead who leaves the match the very second he starts losing.

Anything to do with Marvel lmfao, I grew up watching classic Marvel films like Toby Maguire's Spiderman and The Hulk films, But i cannot stand people who get pissy about me not being able to understand the absolute mindfuck of a lore that Marvel has decided was the direction for there franchises. I like Marvel AND DC stuff, It's a major part of my childhood but i cannot stand the die hard fans who like it as well

9 hours ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

It really does feel like 343 gets too much shit, I can understand not liking 5, but 4 was pretty decent.

I didn't play 5 but discounting a lack of split screen the multiplayer was excellent, some custom games were ambitious from what I had seen.  Full remakes of other maps in the halo series (Most of 3's maps were remade) for that alone 343 deserves credit.

On balance I don't think there was much accomplished by this post, just delete this please. 

Edited by hybridial