Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soulless

Tricked and Trapped - Mapset

I really enjoyed this 5 map set. Each map had an interesting design look and feel to it and I found the combat fun as heck 

Here's part one of my playthrough of the early version you guys give it a try!! 

Somehow I missed that you released something until a couple days ago!  Festering Cesspool is one of my favorite maps of yours so it's really cool to see a sequel mapset.

The texturing is really strong--you're very good at using OTEX--and you've mixed this with your Doomcute stuff and lighting probably better than you ever have here.  I love all of your wall detailing and the little inaccessible rooms visible from the main areas.

The style of the maps surprised me at first.  I feel like you'd been doing more open medium largish maps so I wasn't expecting something so classically-oriented.  I'm reminded a bit of the first map I ever played by you, something you released last year when I was first looking at the forums... called Close Quarters Slaughter or something like that?

The maps have great trap-oriented progression that give cramped spaces a sense of speed.  Your use of window snipers/window traps is excellent here since they're often incorporated into detailing.  There's a nice mix of secret types, too.

Map 04 is my favorite (probably the most freewheeling and chaotic, which is my general preference) and map 01 is my least favorite (I get why the doors are mainly switch-operated from a thematic perspective but I think they slow down the map too much.)

Anyway, great stuff!  I'm impressed.

Edited by Salmon

Thanks for the feedback @Salmon, glad you enjoyed it.

13 hours ago, Salmon said:

(I get why the doors are mainly switch-operated from a thematic perspective but I think they slow down the map too much.)

You are totally right, and yes, its mainly a visual theme. I took off some switches, just a few so it wouldnt be too annoying.

Really surprised map04 is your favourite, is probably the one that stressed me the most, to the point of building 2 different maps

and starting from scratch for the final version. Its a relief, trust me!

Happy tricked and trapped Tuesday everybody

Here's part two of my prerelease playthrough. These maps are great plays them

I've been finding time here and there to play these maps this week and I finally finished up the last one this evening. I just haven't had the stamina for extended sessions of Doom the past few months, but these maps are great digestible chunks and none really outstays its welcome. You always make great use of the OTEX pack and your levels are visually interesting in their own right.

These maps definitely feel like sequels to Festering Cesspool, except I found each of them a little bit less "choking" if that makes sense. There was something about that one map that just made you feel...I dunno...like you were literally trudging through a grueling cesspool, what with the winding corridors and traps at basically every turn. These maps are more of the same, except maybe a bit lighter on the touch? Either way, they make for a very fun adventure/funhouse style of map that keeps you on your toes expecting the next ambush without really feeling too much like a slog.

There was a decent amount of variety in each of the maps while still maintaining this consistent theme and style. Map 3 was the most distinct for me, with the wonderfully designed central area. I think overall...maybe I would love to see more experimentation from map to map in a pack like this one? But given that you can finish these in...I dunno an hour or two of continuous play...(?) that it's not like I'm just finishing the last map out of obligation to some sunk cost. I really enjoyed my time with these.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts @LVENdead.

8 hours ago, LVENdead said:

These maps are more of the same, except maybe a bit lighter on the touch? Either way, they make for a very fun adventure/funhouse style of map that keeps you on your toes expecting the next ambush without really feeling too much like a slog.

You nailed it, that was the main goal, and also attempting some non-linear approach for some of the maps.

Glad you enjoyed the mapset buddy.

Happy tricked and trapped Tuesday everybody

This one was fun I got to shoot Archie in the bum 

I like this map it has a cool invulnerability fight you should try it but you can't do it go try it

Thanks for sharing these bud, map04 is a special one for me. Not sure if you found the homage secret in a second run,

did my best to hide it, lets say, its a secret tomb heh.

16 minutes ago, Soulless said:

Thanks for sharing these bud, map04 is a special one for me. Not sure if you found the homage secret in a second run,

did my best to hide it, lets say, its a secret tomb heh.

Nope I missed that one. Truthfully I haven't had time to give these another go but I thought they were great I hope more people play them

Releasing my final play test video from a while ago

Keeping in mind this was an early version and I mishandled my ammo meaning I had to punch a cyber demon haha

I encourage everybody to try to do a better job than I did these are fun

Mapset now on Idgames, thanks everyone for playing this one, I really struggled to make these maps,

big loads of work, almost no time to map, melting temperatures and sudden map-blocks, what a summer!

Catch you on the next one!