Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

Sprinkled Doom - 3.4.1 (updated June 12th 2022)

15 hours ago, Gibbon said:

I've seen the latest commits from Choco and to be honest, I'm not a fan.

Which commits specifically?

6 hours ago, OpenRift said:

Which commits specifically?

The last 16, mostly Fluidsynth, Gus fixes etc and I removed GUS and native Midi stuff so merging it would be a huge conflict now.

So as promised I am focusing on Hexen a lot more.

A new release will be done shortly.

Doom:

*Extra Gibbing

Hexen:

*Extra Gibbing

Dooms change was inspired by @Alaux from Nugget Doom.  Hexen I did myself.

Edited by Gibbon

Sprinkled Doom / Hexen 3.2.0 is released!

https://github.com/atsb/chocolate-doom-plus-plus/releases/tag/3.2.0

A very small release only adding Extra Gibbing to Sprinkled Doom and Sprinkled Hexen via the Sprinkled Setup utility or editing the config file.

• A note, when having the Extra Gibbing on, I recommend to play with the Doom Plus Plus Limits on also.

This release does not include any compiled binaries for Heretic and Strife.  This is because, I don't really play Heretic (or even like it) and I don't own Strife so cannot test it.

Mac Intel .app bundles and a 32bit Windows binary of both are included.  Apple Silicon bundles are coming.

Enjoy the gibs!

2 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Sprinkled Doom / Hexen 3.2.0 is released!

https://github.com/atsb/chocolate-doom-plus-plus/releases/tag/3.2.0

A very small release only adding Extra Gibbing to Sprinkled Doom and Sprinkled Hexen via the Sprinkled Setup utility or editing the config file.

• A note, when having the Extra Gibbing on, I recommend to play with the Doom Plus Plus Limits on also.

This release does not include any compiled binaries for Heretic and Strife.  This is because, I don't really play Heretic (or even like it) and I don't own Strife so cannot test it.

Mac Intel .app bundles and a 32bit Windows binary of both are included.  Apple Silicon bundles are coming.

Enjoy the gibs!

Worthy of the user name, Sir Gibb-On! ;)

Ill update the page soonly. I totally made that word up.  Congrats, you are the recipient of a new word.

6 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Dooms change was inspired by @Alaux from Nugget Doom.

Gee, that was unexpected. Have fun!

Peeking through the code for Doom's setting, I noticed something odd: is it intentional to allow Plasma Rifle and Chaingun gibbing only if the player has Berserk? It could be an oversight from copy-pasting the Berserk Fist gibbing check.

Gibbing Ettins with the mace vindicates the weapon against all claims that it's weak. Yeah it takes 4-5 hits to kill one. But it makes them explode!

Awesome release, really excited to see what other ideas you come up with/ import/ adapt!

Edit: Also don't feel bad about Heretic, according to the wiki page, only two enemies can get gibbed, compared to Hexen which has virtually every enemy covered.

5 hours ago, Alaux said:

Gee, that was unexpected. Have fun!

Peeking through the code for Doom's setting, I noticed something odd: is it intentional to allow Plasma Rifle and Chaingun gibbing only if the player has Berserk? It could be an oversight from copy-pasting the Berserk Fist gibbing check.

Yeah that was my fault, I copied the pw_strength line when I added those two.

Edit: Fixed.  I simplified it and (for me) made it so gibbing is possible for everything, just like in Hexen. :) 

5 hours ago, rzh said:

Gibbing Ettins with the mace vindicates the weapon against all claims that it's weak. Yeah it takes 4-5 hits to kill one. But it makes them explode!

Awesome release, really excited to see what other ideas you come up with/ import/ adapt!

Edit: Also don't feel bad about Heretic, according to the wiki page, only two enemies can get gibbed, compared to Hexen which has virtually every enemy covered.

Good point, I guess Raven thought they needed more gibs for Hexen :)  

Edited by Gibbon

So all are now updated with the two latest fixes from master branch. 

Windows has both 32 and 64bit binaries.  Mac now has a universal app native for both Intel and Apple Silicon.

I'll now work on getting some beautiful icons done for the next release and some more Hexen love.

7 hours ago, Gibbon said:

So all are now updated with the two latest fixes from master branch. 

Windows has both 32 and 64bit binaries.  Mac now has a universal app native for both Intel and Apple Silicon.

I'll now work on getting some beautiful icons done for the next release and some more Hexen love.

i'd love to have those icons :)

Page is updated by the way.

Just letting you know I think Sprinkled Doom has lost demo compatibility. I understood from comments about Nugget-Doom that enabling Extra Gibbing could/would cause desync and I wanted to see for myself. After playing a bit with extra gibbing on I tried this map01 demo and sure enough there was immediate desync although no actual gibbing in the demo. I thought that was odd so I disabled extra gibbing and tried again only to find it still desyncs!

I also tried a map07 demo with extra gibbing disabled even though nothing is gibbable in the map and it also desyncs before all the mancubus are dead. I tried the demos again in Chocolate-Doom and the Sprinkled Doom I compiled last week and they playback fine. This was all tested on Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS from the latest git commit about 18 hours ago.

EDIT: Tested Nugget-Doom-1.6.1 and it plays the demos correctly with or without extra gibbing enabled.

Edited by HackNeyed

36 minutes ago, HackNeyed said:

I understood from comments about Nugget-Doom that enabling Extra Gibbing could/would cause desync

That is, if you could actually enable Extra Gibbing during demos. The truth is that I forcefully disable many of Nugget's new features upon recording demos or during net play. No matter what the setting is set to, the code checks for said conditions and won't take effect if they're true.

The checks in Sprinkled's code, however, look a bit weird to me:

(some other checks here blah blah) && (!demoplayback || demorecording)

I'm no C expert, but it seems like the code (that is, the "(!demoplayback ||demorecording)" bit) checks for:
Demo playback being false
or
Demo recording being true

However, if I'm not wrong, the condition should check for demo playback, recording and net play all being false, with the following code:

(some other checks here blah blah) && !(demoplayback||demorecording||netgame)

Gibbon shall correct me if I'm wrong with all this, but as it stands, it seems like Sprinkled would allow Extra Gibbing during demo recording and net play, but specifically not during demo playback, when it should actually disallow Extra Gibbing in any of the three cases for demo compatibility. If Gibbon wants demos with more gibs to be a thing, however, then that's his take. Even then, I think the checks should be revised.

Edited by Alaux

36 minutes ago, Alaux said:

it seems like Sprinkled would allow Extra Gibbing during demo recording and net play, but specifically not during demo playback

Yep, I recorded a demo and I was able to gib with the chainsaw while recording, however upon playback there was again no gibbing and a desync after the first 2 zombiemen. But this doesn't explain the issue with demos from DSDA that were recorded with vanilla doom2.exe. In theory they shouldn't desync even if the check is broken because it is still setting up the correct conditions isn't it? Maybe there is a problem somewhere else too?

@HackNeyed you're right, I misplaced the '!' operator by one pixel to the right, which makes it match against both recording and playback to just recording and not playback.

I will fix it later and release updated binaries.  Thanks!!

The reason I am not using netgame is because I plan to disable network games in a future release.  

Well the plot thickens.  I fixed the if statement however, desync still occurs, with or without the setting (demo recording / playback does not gib).  Sprinkled desyncs with Choco and Choco desyncs with Sprinkled.

I'm going to point my finger towards the Doom plus limits as a possible culprit.  I will do demo's against the original doom-plus and chocolate doom to see if that is the reason or not.  If it is, then I will remove the doom plus limits and simply remove all limits the way crispy does, as that maintains demo compatibility.

Sprinkled doesn't add that much in the way of new features, so the possible culprits are very narrow.

Thanks @Gibbon. I've just tried applying the fix that @Alaux suggested. I searched the source for "&& (!demoplayback || demorecording)" and found 2 matches. One for "doom/p_inter.c" and one for "hexen/p_inter.c". I changed both files to read "&& !(demoplayback || demorecording)" and recompiled. Now when I record with extra gibbing enabled they don't gib; so its fixed! ... ... ... except when I play those DSDA demos recorded with vanilla doom2.exe. They still desync only in the latest Sprinkled Doom.

Only in the latest!  Hmmm...  I'm not a big demo playback person so I never checked.  I'll take a look then..

Ha we posted at the same time.

Yes as I said the compile I made a few weeks ago (on Nov 16th actually) plays fine. I have Plus Plus limits enabled in that one but it doesn't seem to have an effect either way in the old or new compile for demo playback.

Well this is odd, I did not make any commits from November 10th to November 19th and if you compiled the versions after the 10th, that contained a few changes such as disabling demo playback on the title screens but that would have appeared in your compiled version.

I'll go through some of my changes and do a side-by-side comparison of Choco and Sprinkled.  It is either not obvious or some tiny error that I did.

Oh Carmack..  why did you use tics for demos! -_-

Well I can tell you right now.

I compiled from the commit on Nov 19, 2021 labeled "Update sv_save.c" and there is no desync.

Then

I compiled from the first commit on Nov 26, 2021 labeled "Extra Gibbing" (commit 01b1c4909a75a2fec83e5440c39accdae26c5aac) and it will desync in both map01 and map07 demos. I made sure Plus Plus limits and Extra Gibbing were disabled before testing.

EDIT: Using Kompare to revert the 3 blocks of code changes in p_inter.c relating to gibbing starting at "if (target->player)" removes the problem. Anyway, that is the extent of my investigation knowledge. I don't know enough about code to dig any deeper.

Edited by HackNeyed : referencing the demos

No worries I'll dig into that.  Yeah this is literally the only place it could be.  Thanks for your time on it, I'll get that fixed.

I need a credits list on the repo's wiki page ala doomretro style.

@HackNeyed - fixed!

As I suspected, it was a tiny little error I did.  My implementation was essentially basing the tics on the gibbing code (making it compatible only with itself).  It does not affect Hexen as Hexen is quite different and desyncs with itself by default :) Raven weren't really into demo's apparently.

This fixed it:

https://github.com/atsb/chocolate-doom-plus-plus/commit/936dd69b4f5b0d309e5042ad6dc4a698aba06393

Doh!

PS. Your demo's are freaking insane!!

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

@HackNeyed - fixed!

Thanks for the fix! I can confirm that there are no more desyncs with the test demos on my end either.

PS. Your demo's are freaking insane!!

No no not my demos. I think they are both by Adam Hegyi on the DSDA (Doom Speed Demo Archive). I was just downloading a random amazing demo to watch/test from a tested/verified source. I thought with their high level of play there is more chance for desyncs.

EDIT: BTW, quick question but should everything gib SOO much? I mean I totally get the SSG up close and MAYBE the Plasma but gibbing an Imp with the pistol is pretty ridiculous! haha it doesn't matter to me because I like to play with only demo compatible/cosmetic settings/changes but I'm just wondering. Cheers! :)

Edited by HackNeyed

Cool. That's what I was suspecting I just wanted to double check. Although to avoid possible confusion for others I might suggest differentiating Nugget-Doom's "Extra Gibbing" and Sprinkled-Doom's "Excessive Gibbing" or something like that.

No worries either way. Thanks! :)

9 minutes ago, HackNeyed said:

Although to avoid possible confusion for others I might suggest differentiating Nugget-Doom's "Extra Gibbing" and Sprinkled-Doom's "Excessive Gibbing" or something like that.

I mildly agree; while it is gibs at the end of the day, Nugget's setting doesn't trigger gibbing with the Pistol, and the "excessive gibbing" only exists in the form of a cheat. In fact, maybe Sprinkled could have it be a cheat too, but that's up to Gibbon ;)

Anyways, if its description will actually be changed, "All Gibs" or maybe "Ludicrous Gibs!" (text used in Nugget to indicate activation of the gibbing cheat) could be some options.