Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gibbon

Sprinkled Doom - 3.4.1 (updated June 12th 2022)

2 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I mean, was Doom32 ever built for Auger Zenith? :P

How much further can you even push Doom32 before it crosses the boundary from exe hack to actual port/

Well, it's always worth a try. But I think with our new little tool at our disposal, EXE hacks may be a thing of the past. 

20 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Boom stuff belongs in Boom :P

First and foremost, "extended nodes" means to interpret vertex, line, side and node indices as unsigned types in Vanilla Doom's own nodes lump format:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/commit/5a314ae831eefb2447f7cc877c42a4e5b7bb4007

Supporting other nodes lump formats (e.g. DeepBSP and ZDBSP) is another different story. None of these have anything to do with Boom, though. 

Edited by fabian : Wrong commit link

8 hours ago, fabian said:

First and foremost, "extended nodes" means to interpret vertex, line, side and node indices as unsigned types in Vanilla Doom's own nodes lump format:

https://github.com/fabiangreffrath/woof/commit/be3672b83107a7760f43e20300bdd5463790ae75

Supporting other nodes lump formats (e.g. DeepBSP and ZDBSP) is another different story. None of these have anything to do with Boom, though. 

Very true, however it is still an enhancement that isn't in vanilla.

Ahhh!  You know what they say, a commit says a 1000 words ;)

Well that doesn't look bad at all..  and would put it one step closer to playing some kickass wads.

This may be a dumb question, but can Sigil be run with the Buckethead music on Sprinkled Doom? I've tried loading the shreds wad but had no success.

11 hours ago, unerxai said:

This may be a dumb question, but can Sigil be run with the Buckethead music on Sprinkled Doom? I've tried loading the shreds wad but had no success.

I have never tried.  I thought the buckethead tracks were paid content and I don't have them.

15 hours ago, unerxai said:

Didn't work for me. The regular SHREDS is ignored, and Jimmy's great soundtrack kicks in instead, and the SHREDS_COMPAT causes no music to be heard whatsoever.

Choco doesn't support MP3s in wads, same happened in RUDE and i ported the feature (and a ton of stuff actually).

So I do still love my Sprinkled Doom :)

I would upload an image but apparently I cannot :/

Changes (when it is released):

1. Widescreen support (low-rest widescreen)

2. Wide status bars

3. Extended node support

4. Extended demo support

It is still based on the latest Choco, just a few more things to make it nice for those who don't enjoy 4:3 and want to play modern wads.

Edited by Gibbon

Widescreen? Awesome, I guess it's time to compile the port :-)

EDlT: Ah, didn't read "when it is released", still, time to compile!

53 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

I would upload an image but apparently I cannot :/

You ran out of space for attachments?

57 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Widescreen? Awesome, I guess it's time to compile the port :-)

EDlT: Ah, didn't read "when it is released", still, time to compile!

You ran out of space for attachments?

Heh, nearly there.  It is a little unstable but I think a beta can be done by next week.  I’ve also implemented proper limit removing curtesy of crispy but it’s the extended nodes that are giving me some issues still and Sigil randomly crashes (but not in debug mode) which is fun.

But yeah, it’s coming!

47 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

I think a beta can be done by next week.

Oh nice. I'd like to see that :-)

A beta is here:

https://github.com/atsb/chocolate-doom-plus-plus/releases/tag/sprinkled-doom-3.4.0

Changes are contained in the link.  Beware, it is a beta for a reason :) and for now, only sprinkled-doom.  Some work still needs to happen for the others.

A few things:

1. Don't enable the aspect ratio correction on widescreen, it doesn't make sense.

2. Users are expected to use widescreen status bars when using widescreen, unless you like plain black borders (still better than GRNROCK).

3. Autoloading works as-per Choco, no autoloading of pwads is implemented.

4. Widescreen assets (from the unity IWADs or from Bethesda) will be displayed if those are loaded in widescreen mode.  Otherwise non-stretched versions (vanilla) will be displayed and you'll get some garbage on the sides (level ending screen for example).  I don't have the unity IWADS to test and I won't buy them either.

Edited by Gibbon

1 hour ago, Gibbon said:

I don't have the unity IWADS to test and I won't buy them either.

I have Doom 2, and I can also install Plutonia and TNT. I'm in cell phone right now but I can test as soon as I get home

Okay, I compiled it for Zorin Os and tried the widescreen option without aspect ratio correction as you wrote with Doom 2 Unity version. This is was captured through a 16:9 monitor

06kbK4v.png

I notice black bars both in the title picture and in the status bar, they aren't big but they do look a bit ugly

s2cSvgl.png

I still have to install TNT and Plutonia, so I'll edit this comment a bit later to add my feedback with those two :-)

Edit one: Out of curiosity, I turned on the Aspect ratio correction and the black bars look worse D:

nHCg2mM.png

Edit 2: Just tried TNT and it's titlepic also has the black bars, but given that the status bar isn't widescreen in that one, here's how it looks.

KfLBms7.png

Edited by Lol 6 : Too many pictures aaaaa

Yep don’t do it :)

Im glad it at least works.  I’ll get those black bars fixed.

Edit:  Yeah, if it isn’t widescreen I opted to fill black bars instead of drawing GRNROCK.  I think it looks a bit better.

Thanks for testing it!

Edited by Gibbon

Getting some issues with rendering flats after building 3.4.0 beta on Linux Mint. But on the bright side it's otherwise loading Scythe 2 now.

sprinkleddoomerror1.png.ec461a0f4259c83b99a0c0acf5a165e4.pngsprinkleddoomerror2.png.cba44bce39394fb04600c182eff6e131.png

Use -merge.  Sprinkled doesn’t auto merge like Crispy and with some wads -file just screws it all up.

But it’s weird how it does that with D2..  of course it’s entirely possible I screwed up the 4:3 mode so anyway I’ll take a look :)

Ah I forgot Chocolate did that. -merge takes care of the missing flats sure enough. And yeah it seems the flats are only messed up when "Screen Display Mode" is set to Vanilla, in Modern the flats work right.

EDIT: Also, "Allow vertical mouse movement" in the setup doesn't actually seem to turn on mouse movement like it does in Chocolate.

36 minutes ago, Ridley said:

Ah I forgot Chocolate did that. -merge takes care of the missing flats sure enough. And yeah it seems the flats are only messed up when "Screen Display Mode" is set to Vanilla, in Modern the flats work right.

EDIT: Also, "Allow vertical mouse movement" in the setup doesn't actually seem to turn on mouse movement like it does in Chocolate.

Oops seems I removed that when I was removing some code above it, I’ll fix that

On 5/22/2022 at 7:33 AM, Gibbon said:

Oops seems I removed that when I was removing some code above it, I’ll fix that

So a few things were fixed (no builds though).

1. Mouse verticality movement setting restored and fixed

2. 4:3 flats are fixed

3. Some fixes on widescreen modes to allow full widescreen only if the unity edition is detected

4. Level and Message text paginated by 2 pixels to force an offset on Widescreen mode and so that it doesn't hug the border in 4:3

Two things I cannot test:

1. Widescreen having a black border.  On my 11" macbook (16:10), my 13" M1 Mac (16:10), my 1080p 23" monitor (16:9) and an all-in-one (16:9) do not show this black border.  No idea if it shows only on certain monitor sizes or resolutions, but that is something I can't really test.  I'll try to just scale it regardless to whatever size..  that is probably the best solution, but I can't ever test that it works :D

2. Unity widescreen.  While I do have the unity ports on my Chromebook, I don't feel like buying them 'again' just to get the iwads..  wonder if there is a way to nab the APK's, unzip them and grab the iwads that way..  hmmmm.

Ok, so a new release has finally happened after squishing all the major bugs:

Changes (affects Doom only):

1. Limits are removed, Sprinkled Doom is now a strong, vanilla limit-removing port
  2. Support for many Crispy Doom additions to support a larger range of WADS
  3. Widescreen support
  4. Medusa bug is fixed (in order to provide better playability on those wads that suffer from this problem) such as Auger Zenith if played on ports that do not fix it
  5. Latest merges from Chocolate Doom
  6. Windows native music is removed, this is to keep parity with the Unix-like versions
  7. Wad files with widescreen assets are provided for use with the autoload functionality

Point #2 - this contains the majority of the changes (everything from limits to Hexen format maps to Extended Demo support).

Widescreen PWAD statusbars (such as the ones that NightFright2k19 provides on github) are also supported and work.  Releases are in the usual place for Windows 64bit and macOS Universal.

It is otherwise, a plain Choco.  Expect slime trails and tutti's as usual :)

Edited by Gibbon : clarification

Oh Mr. Gibbon, Thank you to sacrifice your time on this little Doomy project, you're really talented!

On 6/1/2022 at 3:04 AM, LucasRafael132 said:

Oh Mr. Gibbon, Thank you to sacrifice your time on this little Doomy project, you're really talented!

Thanks, nice to be appreciated by someone in this place.

Sprinkled now has a 3.4.1 beta: https://github.com/atsb/chocolate-doom-plus-plus/releases/tag/sprinkled-doom-3.4.1-pre

One of the features was by Doomer Boards (yes I am on Doomer Boards too!) member Vigilante, who brought to my attention the 'exact horizon/infinite ocean/bzzrak effect' which I innocently broke when I implemented the wall wiggle fix (along with the angle recalculation).

I have removed both things and another sexy vanilla hack has been re-established into Sprinkled.  It appears that Sprinkled is 'the only' port that is limit-removing and has this feature intact, woop! (Maybe Rum and Raisin will also render it correctly, I don't know).

Spoiler

infinite.jpg.b913790422642da73b68484263dc78e6.jpg

The midi code has also been fixed and should be nice and loud on Windows PC's now (and no more midiproc).  It cleanly merges with Choco too (another woop!).

Sprinkled will stay in beta for quite some time for 3.4.1 and will be a 'rolling release' until I am satisfied of the quality.

I don't know if it's just me, but the fuzz effect seems to be broken in low detail mode and widescreen mode in v.3.4.0

T1MSOs3.png

IptgYwo.png

I know that almost nobody uses low detail mode, but I still wanted to report this :-)

Edit: Also, will we ever see the toogle for increased/removed limits back? I liked that little function but I can understand if you don't want to re-implement it.