Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gangstalker

If Id Software hired a Metal band (of any kind) to do the Doom soundtrack, who do you think it'd be?

So, let's imagine a universe where Bobby Prince didn't steal Metallica samples and make ambient MIDIs for the Doom soundtrack, and Id Software commissioned a Metal band to do said soundtrack, who do you think they'd choose. Personally, I think it'd be cool if Slayer did it, considering how many Hell references are in their music. 

Slayer, 100%. I used to blast their classic albums and play Doom when I was still a mega fan of theirs. I remember the first time I heard Behind the Crooked Cross and it blew my mind cause it was literally the riff I'd known for years out of Sever the Wicked. Really I blame Doom for the fact I like metal in the first place.

Historically, the bands that id Software actually contracted are GWAR (Judgment Day), Nine Inch Nails (Quake), Sonic Mayhem (Quake II, Quake III), Frontline Assembly (Quake III), and Tweaker (Doom 3). GWAR's the one the closest to Doom's actual development period, so that'd be my bet.

There are a lot of MIDI packs for Classic Doom with, or entirely, Metallica. Wonder how an id-commissioned Metallica soundtrack would have sounded? Probably cool!

Hire Devin Townsend to do some crazy Strapping Young Lad-style stuff 

8 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

KMFDM is the drug for you.

A doom soundtrack by KMFDM would be fucking awesome

Hmm i think Metallicas Music matches the Needs of a Game more than Slayer.

The Music has to stay at the Pacing of the Level and Slayer changes its pacing more often.

(if i am not misremembering too many, i CAN'T get raining blood right now out of my Head, damn haha)

But, you can edit your Music to make it match :P

So Slayer more for hellish Levels?

I also throw in Sepultura with Chaos B.C.

It is the Soundtrack for Mortal Kombat (More Kombat Album) so why not Doom :P

They probably would have went for the big shots and hired Metallica. The most iconic Doom song is ripped from No Remorse anyway, so the rest of the game would sound similar. As others mentioned there are Metallica mids packs and it's incredible how well they fit the game, specially songs from Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning.
It would be pretty smart marketing, just by having Metallica's name attached to it would have made the game sell several times more.

35 minutes ago, Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

The most iconic Doom song is ripped from No Remorse anyway, 

It's Hooked. No Remorse has the notes the but the rhythm is Hooked.

46 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

It's Hooked. No Remorse has the notes the but the rhythm is Hooked.

See the brilliance of E1M1 is that it makes you go, "oh yeah, it's totally X," but that X could be any number of songs. I like most people initially thought it was obviously from the Master of Puppets intro riff, then I realized, no wait it's No Remorse, then someone else out there suggested it's actually Painkiller, and there's a little known NOWBHM band called Battleaxe which has a very similar riff... 

"At Doom's Gate" is not identical to any one song, but it has a familiar theme that we've seen variations of in many different metal songs.

Edited by QuaketallicA

5 hours ago, VisionThing said:

Slayer, 100%. I used to blast their classic albums and play Doom when I was still a mega fan of theirs. I remember the first time I heard Behind the Crooked Cross and it blew my mind cause it was literally the riff I'd known for years out of Sever the Wicked. Really I blame Doom for the fact I like metal in the first place.

Yeah Doom was a big reason I got into heavy metal music too.

I've long felt that an episode of Doom is akin to a metal album--hear me out!

You have the first level which is short, quick, and high energy, like a Battery or Angel of Death. It gets the blood flowing and gets you ready for the next couple of levels/tracks, which are a bit longer and more complex. They really start getting into the meat and potatoes of what this episode/album is about. You have a couple of those, then it's time for a ballad to balance out the darkness/heaviness, e.g. Fade to Black, A Tout Le Monde, Cemetery Gates, etc. E3M4's House of Pain is the ballad of Hell, with the slower, melodic Sign of Evil. E2M4 similarly has a slower, more deliberate pace to it, and E1M5 could fit this role as well. After the ballad, we're renewed and ready again for something fast and heavy, but with its unique spin on a similar dark theme. This is your E3M6 and E2M7. Finally, the boss level finishing out the third episode is comparable to Spit out the Bone, Reign in Blood, or Dyers Eve; something fast and high energy, but with a sense of finality to it. E1 and E2's ending level is perhaps more akin to Ride the Lightning ending with Call of Ktulu, a sort of bittersweet resolution as the culmination of this dark chapter.

I'd have to say probably Pantera, because they seem to be a recurring inspiration in the soundtracks of both Doom 1 and 2.

Iron.

With all the blood in Doom, they might as well use all the iron from the hemoglobin in the red blood cells of all the former humans and demons ('cept Cacos and Barons/Knights) to make a metal band out of it to apply to Doom.

9 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

I don't know but it would suck. 

I'd like to take a moment to commend you for your absolutely wonderful contribution to this thread. I'm sure we all feel overwhelmingly enlightened to be graced with your negativity towards a specific style of music. 🙄

Yeah, it would probably be Slayer. Iced Earth wasn't really all that well known back in the early 90s, and you can already hear Slayer's influence all over Doom's OST.

The correct answer is Alice in Chains. Come on guys, this is an easy one! Anyone who didn’t at least say Metallica or Slayer - which are both wrong, but still respectable answers - please see me after class.

The lack of any Soundgarden mentions is also a worry. How do I reach these keeds..?!

EDIT: I somehow missed The BMFG's post. Faith in humanity slightly restored..

On 9/8/2021 at 4:19 PM, The BMFG said:

i think an doom soundgarden thing would be awesome

Yeah, I mean the vibe would be a little more varied than Slayer, which is who'd they probably pick, honestly (sorry Doomkid).

The only reason I say Alice in Chains is because, between the Doom 1, Doom 2 and unused Alpha MIDIs, they seem to be the most represented band, with a whopping 11 MIDIs distinctly based off AiC riffs, 3 of which were used in the actual released games.

By contrast, 4 were by Slayer, and only one two made it into the game (Dead Simple of course, and Behind the Crooked Cross which I dumbly forgot earlier).

Metallica's overall count is either 1 or 0, depending if you acknowledge that E1M1 is (quite obviously) based on No Remorse. Though it's absolutely a fair call to say that Metallica fits Doom - you'd have to be crazy to claim otherwise.

With 11 MIDIs using AiC's riffs, no one else holds a candle.