Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Syn

Adding new projectiles in DeHackEd

Question

Can new projectiles be added in with vanilla DeHackEd in such a way that they can actually be thrown by enemies? Or are you stuck with the base projectiles?

If not, can other extensions of DeHackEd do it, or at least something similar?

9 answers to this question

You don't make new stuff in dehacked, it's restricted to only being able to modify the original executable, so you can only edit and change what's available.

So you can't make new projectiles (even if you reused an unrelated thing slot, nothing would know how to fire it), but you can completely replace an existing projectile.

32 minutes ago, SynDoom said:

Could spawn cubes be potentially turned into a projectile then?

No, because the spawn cubes require A_BrainAwake to be called first, and it will also crash the game if there are no monster spawner spots in the level, so it cannot be repurposed.

You're stuck with base projectiles or modified variations of it, some of the only source ports that can do that are EDGE, Eternity, and Z-based ports like Gzdoom and Zandronum

Adding new projectiles using DeHackEd is one of the major features of MBF21. Note that MBF21 DeHackEd patches aren't supported in all source ports (currently, I believe MBF21 is only fully implemented in DSDA-Doom and Woof!, and currently undergoing testing in GZDoom, with support coming to the other ports listed on that wiki page at some point in the future).

17 minutes ago, skillsaw said:

Adding new projectiles using DeHackEd is one of the major features of MBF21. Note that MBF21 DeHackEd patches aren't supported in all source ports (currently, I believe MBF21 is only fully implemented in DSDA-Doom and Woof!, and currently undergoing testing in GZDoom, with support coming to the other ports listed on that wiki page at some point in the future).

Oh, I had no idea! I haven't followed MBF too closely, but I should. Since UDB seems to support it I'll try testing out with DSDA-Doom. Thank you!

43 minutes ago, SynDoom said:

Oh, I had no idea! I haven't followed MBF too closely, but I should. Since UDB seems to support it I'll try testing out with DSDA-Doom. Thank you!

It might be worth noting UDB focuses more on the mapping enhancements brought by MBF21. For the gameplay side/Dehacked, you still have to do most of the heavy lifting for now. You can either wait for Whacked4 to roll out proper settings to make your life easier, or, if you have some DECORATE experience and don't mind working with command lines, have a look at DECOHack.