Hangar or Entryway?

Which Do You Prefer?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Which Do You Prefer?

• Hangar
    • Entry Way

Which do you prefer? I prefer Hangar.

Edited by Dubbag

Both are really good as starter maps, both E1M1 and MAP01 have some good secrets if you think hard enough. I didn't even realize there was a hidden shotgun in E1M1 throughout my 16 years of playing Doom, and the fact that there is a hidden RL in Entryway.

11 minutes ago, Okej5722 said:

Entryway.

1 minute ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Hanger.

why?

Hangar: Best visual style, best layout, best gameplay, best music, best nostalgia.

Entryway: Best setup of secrets and soundblocking lines :P

Hangar it is!

I would go with Hangar

There's not much to it, I mildly enjoy the look of Hangar more. It does have the better music track to. 

It's like E1M1=Here's Doom

And MAP01 is like = Here's Doom and a little bit more in every way

I think that in Doom 2, the fact they gave you the opportunity to get a shotgun, and a Rocket Launcher and also a chainsaw in the first level were foretelling of how much more difficult this mission would be than the original Doom.

Entryway is a great starter map, but I gotta go with Hangar. Visually it looks better, I like E1's tech base theme more than Doom 2's more nondescript base theme. Also, D_E1M1 is far better than D_RUNNIN.

I reckon Entryway was a lot more tightly balanced. Also has a chainsaw at the start, which is a blast to use here.

Edited by StoneMason

System Control

Erm- I'll choose Hangar.

There isn't really anything that's engaging with Entryway and lacks anything of interest.

Edited by Wavy

Hangar because it doesn't have D_RUNNIN. That and Hangar also looks visually better.

If there were other first level classic maps around, I would go with congo, but I can't, I'm gonna go with entryway

E1M1's Hanger in singleplayer because of its level design and use of textures. As a mapper myself, I always recommend and advise people to re-create E1M1 in their engine of choice (Idtech3, Idtech4, Source, Unreal, Unity). As deathmatch levels are both not that really suited though because of their linear design . . .

2 hours ago, Wavy said:

System Control

Erm- I'll choose Hangar.

There isn't really anything that's really engaging with Entryway and was lacking anything of interest.

That’s well put - if I had to choose between Entryway and System Control, I’d choose System Control, one of the best maps of TNT in my opinion.

In Entryway nothing makes sense. A dead end room with some pedestals you can lower with soldiers hanging around? Why? A lift leading to a switch? Why didn‘t they place the switch on ground level? Also it’s too short.

Hangar on the other hand is a pretty good start level.

Hangar. It's a perfect introduction to what you're in for and shows off what the engine was capable of at the time. Varied floor and ceiling heights? We got 'em. Sector lighting, we've got that as well! Overall, the level teaches how everything works and is pleasant to look at, which is why it has stood the test of time.

Entryway, textures aside, doesn't really showcase anything new, nor does it prep the player for what the rest of the game is like. It just feels like a step backwards overall.

Hangar was the best for me, Linear (a good thing for the very first level in a game), very memorable and kinda overrated but overall it was a well designed map and impressive at the time showing all IDtech1's capabilities.

Entryway in the other hand, For me the only memorable thing was D_RUNNIN, probably Deathmatch and that One little single armor bonus. lol

Not linear, pointless secret areas and the terrible map design is pretty much the definition of the entire D2's mapset.

Edited by Vaeros