Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MidnightMage

Angry Quilt 2 - for Ultimate Doom (Development Thread)

4 hours ago, SynDoom said:

Quick question @MidnightMage, can things like control sectors and teleporter closets be placed out of the quilt area? Or can they only be contained in your square?

Those are a little different and may be placed outside the quilt area.

4 hours ago, CBM said:

are we eventually going to see a full quilt game with 32 quilt maps, with this one being map 2 and the firt one being map 1?

Hey CBM, I'm getting my feet wet with these projects. I'd like to host a full 32 project megawad at some point once they are bit more fine tuned.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I'm a little confused about the rules right now. When should I start mapping and when do I need to turn it in?

Exactly as SynDoom just said, once square 2 is completed then square 3 may start. Then square 4. Then square 5.

That being said I'd recommend @Origamyde should wait until their turn until Bobby “lolmcswagger” has completed their square before adding to the map just to avoid any editing issues.

8 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

That being said I'd recommend @Origamyde should wait until their turn until Bobby “lolmcswagger” has completed their square before adding to the map just to avoid any editing issues.

Yeah, sorry about that.

Should I delete the post I made earlier as to avoid confusion ?

@MidnightMage

cool!

I'd like square 15 if possible. I have some ideers.

going to need some tags... how will they be handed out? will we each get a range?

what about secrets, keys and doors that needs specific keys?

and what about the monsters & items, are there any plans for what kind of monsters, items etc.. that should be in each square?

this is what I have quickly whipped up so far:

castle.png

Edited by CBM

18 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

For the sake of simplicity, each square must use designated tags, etc. Square 2 must use tag20,21,23,24, etc

Square 3 would use tag 31,32,33 etc.

so what if someone choose slot more than 9? like for some example: Square 14 uses tag 141, 142, 143.... and so on?

All squares have been taken! :)

Mappers may update the map based on their square number (ei. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc) So after square 2 is complete, then square 3's mapper may edit the map then so on.

All mappers must post their updated map to this thread and update the filename each time. AngryQuilt2v01 > AngryQuilt2v02 > AngryQuilt2v03 >AngryQuilt2v04 etc.

The final square (16) must include a map exit. 

Secret areas are encouraged to be added to mappers squares.

3 hours ago, CBM said:

going to need some tags... how will they be handed out? will we each get a range?

what about secrets, keys and doors that needs specific keys?

and what about the monsters & items, are there any plans for what kind of monsters, items etc.. that should be in each square?

So tags will be handled based on which square you've chosen. Square 8 for example would use the tags 81,82,83,84 etc. Secrets can be added based on the mappers discretion. More secrets the better in my opinion.

Monsters and items are also to be used based on the mappers discretion. Keys may be added and keyed doors as well, but no one is obligated to add them. A 3 key exit would be a cool finale, similar to the previous project.

my square is now done and awaits my turn to upload

pic

castle2.png

Edited by CBM

1 hour ago, Peccatum Mihzamiz said:

Lovely project! Enjoyed the first two sections, and am already almost done with my own.

I added a yellow skull key but could remove that if needed. The mid texture at sidedef 110 could use some alligning @MidnightMage.

Great news! Remember to wait to add your section until the squares before you have completed theirs. As for the misalignment, I just saw that, drat.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to bugfix that once the other segments are completed. 

46 minutes ago, CBM said:

my square is now done and awaits my turn to upload

pic

castle2.png

That looks awesome!

I look forward to seeing how it ties into the rest of the map!

Going great. Planning to have a large building with tight combat, currently with one secret that you access by strafe running over a wall in your square. I'll have a draft out soon.

21 hours ago, MidnightMage said:

Great news! Remember to wait to add your section until the squares before you have completed theirs. As for the misalignment, I just saw that, drat.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to bugfix that once the other segments are completed. 

That looks awesome!

I look forward to seeing how it ties into the rest of the map!

Thanks :) there are alot of secrets in plain sight (but difficult to 'find') in my little fort

download with just the first square and my little flesh fort/castle in its square

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AsZCRq5wQdYSM-LadeQcQneuK8XRgXVX/view?usp=sharing

btw. notice that I havent gone crazy with tiny details this time ... LOL

Edited by CBM

18 hours ago, SynDoom said:

Here's the WIP architecture right here, for all that want to see. NOT A FINAL BUILD, remember that

AngryQuilt2v02.zip

Awesome! Thanks for the update, I'll check it out later!

6 hours ago, CBM said:

Thanks :) there are alot of secrets in plain sight (but difficult to 'find') in my little fort

download with just the first square and my little flesh fort/castle in its square

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1AsZCRq5wQdYSM-LadeQcQneuK8XRgXVX/view?usp=sharing

btw. notice that I havent gone crazy with tiny details this time ... LOL

Cool! I look forward to seeing what you've made!

Hi all, I'd like to implement a hard rule that each mapper has 2 days only to complete their 1024x1024 square. I'd originally figured a deadline of October 1st would be reasonable but I'm starting to have my doubts. Moving forward please keep your mapping time to ideally 1 day but max 2 days to complete your square.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, MidnightMage said:

Hi all, I'd like to implement a hard rule that each mapper has 2 days only to complete their 1024x1024 square. I'd originally figured a deadline of October 1st would be reasonable but I'm starting to have my doubts. Moving forward please keep your mapping time to ideally 1 day but max 2 days to complete your square.

Thanks.

Is this counting from when map handed over to me or from right now?

Welp, looks like I'll have to go into crunch mode! If I'm lucky it will be done in a little over a day from now, at the latest two whole days.

12 hours ago, SynDoom said:

Welp, looks like I'll have to go into crunch mode! If I'm lucky it will be done in a little over a day from now, at the latest two whole days.

So I'd say the deadline moving forward from here is max 2 days, which leaves you tomorrow to complete your segment. Just to keep the ball rolling with the project.

13 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Is this counting from when map handed over to me or from right now?

This only counts once the map is handed over to you. So whenever Syndoom posts his completed square the timeline would start for you.

Edited by MidnightMage

@Worriedidiot yeah that was pointed out already, once all the squares are completed I'll bugfix and adjust that. Thanks for the heads up. It's on my radar.

Fantastic stuff @SynDoom! I'm not going to Gatekeep, if you are happy with what you've created I am too. If issues come up once the squares are all completed I will bugfix them.

I just played AngryQuilt2v2 and love the square. The tech monolith room with the bridge raising from the blood is really quite interesting. It really gives off strong Ultimate Doom vibes so kudos on that. Very cool stuff. I really liked this. I found a few midbar textures in the room with the switch where the stairs raise up, that weren't tagged impassable so the player can run through them, but that's it for bugs that I could find.

@ViolentBeetle you're up!

Edited by MidnightMage

I'm a little unsure on the progression. Should my segment end with a door to sector 4, 7 or perhaps even both? Does it need to be backtrackable?

The sudden deadline jump caught me off-guard, but I should be able to put something together tomorrow.

1 hour ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I'm a little unsure on the progression. Should my segment end with a door to sector 4, 7 or perhaps even both? Does it need to be backtrackable?

The sudden deadline jump caught me off-guard, but I should be able to put something together tomorrow.

You may make whatever progression you'd like. Either allow for a door to 4 and 7 or perhaps just one. It could be back trackable but it doesn't have to be, that's ultimately up to you. 

Good luck with your section, it'll be interesting to see what you add to the quilt.

I'm glad that my square holds up, ha. I think I could have made a more polished enemy encounter with some time, though I blame that on me spending too much time detailing lol. Super thankful that I got to help out regardless!

I'll be worked on the midi now, I have something I'm finishing up for @Vaerosfirst however. Definitely happening, that much I can confirm.