Tactical Burger (Old acc)

doom 1993 e2m3 weird texture

ok so

This texture (In files) is named "BROWNWEL" and it was ONLY used in this level

yep, thats it, there is nothing more behind this 

Zrzut ekranu (218).png

1 hour ago, Womneare said:

Ok

You did quite a lot of effort on that video (Including the thumbnail) for this. You never used Doom Builder prior?

FYI the texture name is BROWNWEL in the TEXTURE2 lump. This texture doesn't seem to appear in Doom 2.

Edit: Ack that was already pointed out.

It was only used once in the original game, it had more use in custom wads and TC's. Aliens TC was the first who made more use of it IIRC . . .

It was in an early version of Downtown (Map13) back when the level was supposed to include a dock section, but that was obviously cut before release.

1 hour ago, Faceman2000 said:

It was in an early version of Downtown (Map13) back when the level was supposed to include a dock section, but that was obviously cut before release.

Link to footage of early version of Downtown (by Zdenda1990)

23 minutes ago, Synuś Vader said:

Link to footage of early version of Downtown (by Zdenda1990)

Could be me but it looks like Doom 2 . . .  :/

GREYDANG (the red sign with a figure on it) I believe is an even rarer texture than BROWNWEL. It only appears in E2M6, and while it shows up twice - BROWNWEL is used three times - you only see it once in E2M6 as a trigger lifts the other side it is attached to.

40 minutes ago, Apprentice said:

Could be me but it looks like Doom 2 . . .  :/

Exactly. It’s an early version of Doom 2. l2r

1 hour ago, OldDoomer said:

GREYDANG (the red sign with a figure on it) I believe is an even rarer texture than BROWNWEL. It only appears in E2M6, and while it shows up twice - BROWNWEL is used three times - you only see it once in E2M6 as a trigger lifts the other side it is attached to.

Yeah it is more rare but it is super easy to find. You even see it if you are jus playing through normally.

5 hours ago, OldDoomer said:

FWIW when the uniqueness of BROWNWEL came up in Things About Doom You Just Found Out I discovered several others that only appear on a single linedef. None were particularly visually distinct like BROWNWEL or GRAYDANG, though; only variations of more widely-used textures, hardly noticable without an automated search.

7 hours ago, Faceman2000 said:

Thank you for this (and @Synuś Vader for the video); I had no idea. They should have left the harbour in, it's cool!

8 hours ago, Scypek2 said:

Now I'm just curious what "WEL" in "BROWNWEL" stands for.

It's well brown, innit?

4 hours ago, RjY said:

They should have left the harbour in, it's cool!

I think it made the map too big and prone to visplane errors.

And you'll see the BROWNWEL texture show up in various old-school PWADs from back around that time; I remember the very start of the classic UCA.wad had one -

uca01a.png