Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vulkar 04

What´s your favorite (s) DOOM OFICIAL GAME?

It's kinda weird how so many people plutonia and tnt as separate games but the master levels are considered 1 game. 

Oh to actually answer the question, the best complete package is doom 64.  Doom 2 is inconsistently amazing, Ultimate Doom is good 3/5's of the time and Final doom has both great and terrible levels in both wads.  The master levels has a handful of actually really good maps though.

While I have played Doom 3 and enjoyed it, I don't like ranking it alongside proper classic doom as it is too far removed. Out of all the official classic doom wads, I would rank them as follows, for these reasons:

#6 TNT - While this is a must play, and is absolutely essential for any Doom 2 fan, there are some maps on here that are really annoying and long and include huge rooms with hit scanners and lost souls which I don't enjoy. Central Processing is just a dull, slow experience for me and it leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. I don't think Habitat and Administration Centre are as bad as I've heard others say, but they are a lot worse than the better maps in this WAD. Wormhole, Power Control, Hanger, Prison, Storage Facility, Nukage Processing, and most of the first half are wonderful and work great either in their context among the entire campaign, or from a pistol start. Sadly, things get really boring through a lot of the second half, until the last 5 maps (27 through 32) which are as good as anything else here. 

#5 Doom 2 - It's a good game. It's the first attempt at a new playing field. The super shotgun is game changing, and so are revenants! Level design is awkward and gimmicky in a lot of places. Not to say that there aren't any good levels. The first 10 are fresh and inspired, but somewhere in the second third it loses steam creatively. Fortunately, the addition of new monsters and the super shotgun create so many possibilities that any creative problems can be overlooked at first. I imagine it would be weird if someone had played a more polished WAD (like my #2 choice) before playing Doom 2. Its flaws would be more noticeable if that were the case.

#4 Master Levels - I've only played this all the way through once, but I have played through several of the maps repeatedly because I especially enjoyed them. TTRAP, BLACKTWR, BLOODSEA, and TEETH are better than maybe anything in Doom 2 in terms of creative level design. PARADOX, ATTACK, CANYON and GERYON could have made great replacements to some of the quirkier Doom 2 levels, if only that were possible. Sadly, some levels are pure WTF and stupid on a level that Doom 2 or TNT never even reached. MEPHISTO being the most guilty of these offenders. 

#3 Plutonia Experiment - A remarkable showcase of Doom 2 theory, the levels here put monsters and areas together in ways that show a deep understanding of how this game really works. Definitely not for beginners, but if you're able to get through the first two maps, the rest should be doable. It reminds me of Super Ghouls and Ghosts, which has a similar difficulty curve as Plutonia; steep and immediate, where it never peaks too much past there (certain situations aside).

#2 No Rest For The Living - Builds off of the deep understanding shown in Plutonia, but adds WAY more style and creates a fabulous arcing set of levels. From level 1 to level 8 (and 9 in between), everything links together so perfectly in a way no other official WADs have ever done, except for my #1 pick on this list. Not only that, but pistol starting these levels all works in its own way, too. Vivisection and Inferno of Blood are God-tier in terms of design and gameplay.

#1 Ultimate Doom - It's the foundation of everything above and was the most fully realized project, in my opinion. I imagine the entire development team was 'in the zone' and had a lot of strong creative momentum throughout the making of this game. It certainly feels that way when playing it. All the other WADS that followed Doom 1 are efforts to push the engine and explore all the potential that is implied in these three episodes. While other WADs were able to take the game theory farther than this game did (including the later added episode 4), none of them were able to express the vibe and true Doom experience like we get here. I credit John Romero with a lot of this, I think he is the one that really stylized it in a way that put it over the top.

Doom 1 (3 episodes): very good, I like most music tracks, levels, but no archviles or ssg :(

Sigil(?): very cool, hard but fun, thanks for many Cyberdemons :)

Doom 2: archviles and revenants are favourite of course, but seriously, level design makes this game great.

Doom RPG: cool experiment on doom lore, gameplay and etc.

Doom 3: G O O D, BUT NOW I NEED TO CHANGE MY PANTS...