Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cammy

THATCHER'S TECHBASE - a 4-map Boom wad by 3D: Doom Daddy Digital, out now!

What's the non-MIDI format going to be? Tracker modules or just an MP3?

I can't wait for Kim Jong Un Doom or Xi Jinping Doom.

9 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

What's the non-MIDI format going to be? Tracker modules or just an MP3?

The soundtrack will be released in MIDI, SC-55 and full-band “20XX” arrangements as mp3s. Here’s a sample:

Edited by letshugbro

On 9/17/2021 at 11:58 AM, Wavy said:

And for the sake of the trailer, I'll play this on my 3DS =P

A fellow prboom3ds fan in the wild.  I wish the port was still maintained

2 minutes ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

A fellow prboom3ds fan in the wild.  I wish the port was still maintained

Luckily, I have a slightly updated fork here, with higher sample rate music and analog controls. I might add MBF21 support eventually, but that's for its own thread (maybe). ;) 

I'm happy to concur that the end of the trailer lives up to its expectations - this does run on the 3DS!

2021-09-25_00_32.35_1_600x600.jpg.881bb505d5f040e104df3bdbb494887c.jpg

Spoiler

Not issues with the mod, but MIDI's don't play due to prboom3ds not supporting them, nor do the high sample rate sounds due to how prboom3ds plays all sounds at 11khz meaning they're going to be slower and lower pitch. But again, these are issues with the port itself, not the WAD. I might play this through Retroarch 3DS with the PrBoom core instead as those issues aren't present in that.

Anyhow, congrats for the release @letshugbro!

doom145.png.2c30969d1a5e0e6cd0092e1c9a632430.png

doom150.png.5685dc316673efa757fcefeed218fdfd.png

EDIT: What great atmosphere in this map. It goes on and on, a grand adventure. The sky glitches in some secret areas. Be wary that there are hidden switches needed to progress in some places. Gotta mention the one with the portrait because it gave me unnecessary trouble.

Edited by game

The portrait switches and Union Jack keens in MAP02 gave me loads of unnecessary trouble. The green marble maze was definitely not co-op-proofed :P  A couple of things were too arcane, but not very many. Shootable linedef actions have always been controversial in Doom, and I think it's worth looking at how SIGIL teaches you in the first room of the first map what a shootable linedef looks like in the wad, and doesn't let you leave until you learn it.

That being said, I still had a good time. The custom palette and textures were excellent, as were many of the edited monsters. The fights were generally decent, and the progression on the mega MAP02 was only a little confusing. I think with a tiny bit of tweaking you'd have a hell of a first mapset here, and the aesthetics alone are already top-notch.

haha i was not expecting a 1000+ enemy map but im enjoying it a lot. If you ever do a sequel some day remember "Ţ̸̖͓̝̤͖̘̈́̑̔͋̇̎̅h̸̛̖̀̊͌̋̌̚i̵̲̟͉͒̏̽͊̀̓̇ṅ̷̘͓̟̮͉́͊͒̚g̷̰̓̕s̵̳͛͛̓͊̅̓ ̴̘̹͓͕̂̀̑̌c̴̜͒̈͐͒a̸̞̬̓̋n̴̨̙̰̱͋̆͛̋̔̓ ̴͈͚̪̲̝͓̌͌o̴̦͇͑̿n̸̙̐l̷̢̩̯̮̦̙̉̓͜ẏ̸̬ ̴̞͇̪͂̉͆̅͝g̸̛̭͔̒̉͑̕e̸͈͙͓͝ţ̴͕̀͐̂͊̀͝ ̴̭̝̺͙̥͐͛͝b̴̲͎̘̞̻́̄ͅe̶͙͍̝̗̒̈́ţ̸̜̤͉͈̠̮̋̐͒ṯ̷͚̼͎̱͉͗͑̏̅̎̌͠ė̶̙͇͛͌̚͝r̴͙̯̥̀̍͝"

Glad people are enjoying the wad! I realise now that puzzles based on shooting linedefs and Keen objects probably need a “tutorial” for the user - I have some bugs to squash in a v1.1, so I may use that as an opportunity to tighten up those areas too.

3 minutes ago, Liberation said:

You need to make a txt file crediting all the sprites and textures you didn't make yourself. 

Sure! I included a list of all the wads I used on the site, but I’ll also include a txt file with the updated release. 

Hah, that was fun.  Long Boom maps aren't normally my thing, but I enjoyed this.  I really liked the homages to the original Doom maps, as well as the smooth increase in difficulty as time went on (I played on UV).  Most of the combat felt pretty good, though I did have a tendency to run out of ammo during the MAP26-like segment.  A few areas also felt like they were a bit hard to navigate in a confusing sense, but with a bit of perseverance I found my way out of them.  I did like how I looped back to the beginning, though.

I'm familiar with some, but not all, of the references in this since I'm not from the UK, but that wasn't an issue.  I appreciated how I didn't need to know them to enjoy this.  Though one thing I was just a little saddened by was the lack of a reference to Monty Mole since there were references to the Miners' Strike in places - but that's mostly just my inner nerd talking :')

On the technical side, it seems to be about 99% compatible with K8Vavoom.  The only thing I had to do to get it to start was remove the "label" lines from the UMAPINFO.  Aside from that, the only other issue I had was a tag 666 not triggering, which I'm thinking is the engine's fault, not your map's. 

DoomRetro crashed with a segmentation fault as soon as I tried to start the first map.

EDIT: oh yeah, I somehow managed to get stuck in this area.  I used freelook to look up so that you could (hopefully) better pinpoint it.  Nothing a quick noclip couldn't fix ^_^

Spoiler

n99t4l.jpg

Hey all! v1.1 is now available on the site.

Changed the nodebuilder to Zen to improve compatibility with certain ports (people reported issues with Eternity, original Boom and certain versions of PRBoom3DS) and tried to address the soft-locks that have been reported to me. Thanks a bunch to people who have told me about the ones so far, I imagine there will likely be a few more and other “logic” issues.

I’ve also tried to quickly make the “portrait puzzle” a bit more intuitive, but like posters ITT have said, it probably warrants a proper tutorial - especially for folks who don’t play much Doom. That’ll probably take me a while longer - as will a tune-up of some combat encounters.

Gonna work on a list of where everything in the wad came from when I have time later this week, because I think it might take a while to get right. Please let me know if there’s anything else I need to do, as I’m a little new to this wadding business…

5 hours ago, letshugbro said:

Gonna work on a list of where everything in the wad came from when I have time later this week, because I think it might take a while to get right. Please let me know if there’s anything else I need to do, as I’m a little new to this wadding business…

Do you and the others that have worked on this wad plan to make the textures public to use on other wads?

Apart from the soundtrack (which isn’t mine), feel free to use anything included in THATCHER.wad in any way you wish. I’d be happy to release the original textures/sprites made for TTB as a standalone wad further down the line too, if people would like that.

If the door in the first map's secret closes behind you, you're stuck as you cannot open it from the inside. Whoops.

Congrats though, really enjoying this so far.

19 hours ago, letshugbro said:

Apart from the soundtrack (which isn’t mine), feel free to use anything included in THATCHER.wad in any way you wish. I’d be happy to release the original textures/sprites made for TTB as a standalone wad further down the line too, if people would like that.

Honestly would adore if you did that, I'd love to use the textures in future wads and can easily see others doing the same

Congrats on the release, @letshugbro! Finally got around to updating the OP for an easy download link, sorry to keep everyone waiting on it these past couple days. Can't wait to try it out for myself!

IcarusLiv3s streamed this believe it or not! He liked it. I popped up in the stream for the first two levels and dipped so I wouldn’t spoil myself too much, can’t wait to play this soon and give my thoughts here.

That was pretty awesome. My first real Doom mod since I decided to pick up these games from my childhood and got hooked. Before this all I had tried was Brutal Doom.

Really enjoyed the layout and difficulty curve, found it challenging without being frustrating. Lots of fun working out some of those puzzles and I thought it was the perfect length without getting stale. Thanks for the great intro to Doom mods @letshugbro

Hello, I played a bit of this and have some feedback. I dunno how keen you are on collecting pelts, but I gotta give props for the simplicity & elegance of the trap which brought my First Demo Attempt to an end.

Thatcher_FDA_hc.zip

(Note: the extra intermission screen means that it'll desync if not played back in dsda-doom.)

Spoiler

As I said, my favorite part so far is the thing what did me in: I charged forward greedily and didn't notice the pitfall trap around the Rocket Launcher until it was too late to backpedal. Fair and funny - I always appreciate when a mapper creates a moment of "oh no, what have i done..."

My second-favorite part was how that Chaingunner was used as the overseer of the "catwalks over an ooze-pit" room, and how satisfying it was to finally get up to his perch and get his weapon.

I went back afterwards with saves to reach up to the point where I died. The little I've seen so far has had competent monster & item placement, and has played pretty smoothly, but it's undeniably rough around the edges. I like how the player keeps stumbling into little pocket-dimensions of hell as they explore, but the one in the missile room was a little baffling how it didn't seem to contain any progression or optional treasure - just a lone arch-vile studying the void. (Is it supposed to display a hall of mirrors out those windows?) There's another HOM which I'm sure isn't intentional: from two missing textures below the portrait in the western room out of that hub I died in. And I got a weird graphical error on the ceiling in the "council roundtable" room.

Thatcher.png.842e326ceae2b462cee5986c2cf39c07.png

This was also the point where I got stuck. To the map's credit, the setup is made clear: you're locked in until you can solve the puzzle, and there's three rooms to correspond with the three sets of bars you need to open. But I didn't grasp the solution, even with the three little clues positioned around the locked gate, and after hitting every single switch I could find and double- and triple-checking every room, I eventually gave up and had to come read the thread to have the answer revealed to me.

The raising pedestals are attention-grabbing, and even a player who misses their significance will probably figure it out eventually given enough time & experimentation, but in my case at least, I didn't see any reason why these specific textures were any more significant than any of the dozens of other times that Thatcher's face had been plastered all over the walls. It's not a bad thing to leave the player high & dry until experimentation finally reveals the path forward (The Spirit World is one of my favorite levels, after all), but I'm in the camp that would have preferred if an example of that mechanic had appeared earlier, like in a small tutorial room where it's impossible to miss the cause & effect.

https://youtu.be/sIKoVcNtiYw

Well I played this last week. To be honest, whilst not bad for a first mapping effort, I wasn't too impressed as the anti-Thatcher political atmosphere "gimmick" wore off after about 20-30 minutes. Also the final Icon of Sin fight was awkward (nicely done recreation of the House of Commons aside), but then I don't like IoS fights in general.

(P.S. I sincerely hope there was some kind of Yes Minister/Yes Prime Minister easter egg hidden away somewhere.)

OK.. so this map was long as hell. Actually, it's basically one map since map2 is there action is.

I used a ton of save states since I didn't have time to complete this in one sitting

I am getting a lot of enjoyment out of it. I'm not good enough for the higher difficulties but still having a blast.

Edited by Nikoxenos