Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdarkmasterx

Fearfully Frightening (Vanilla)

Dog shit map I made in a few minutes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t1kil8h8qcbknx3/fearfri.wad?dl=0

Story: You've done it now, private! You had to go and spill that martian ale all over the captain's nice new shoes! Now, you're stuck out here digging the trenches for the UAC's finest.

Damn. How long as it been, anyway? Where the hell are you?

You take a look around, and find yourself in the depths of hell!

Shit, you knucklehead! Nobody told you to dig this far!

Think you can make it out before they turn your skull into yet another key?

YyedNDy.png

First off, I don't think calling your map dog shit is a good way to sell your map to potential playtesters, and this also gives me the impression that you don't care about the map.

I did have a look and.. I don't think you can actually beat this map*. The pain sector is a massive issue and limits where you move to such an extent that it seems impossible to dodge projectiles. This map also isn't fun, at all. It just seems frustrating and the difficulty seems artificial and puts the player at a needless disadvantage. This map needs a lot of polish, is what I'm saying.

*EDIT: According to the map author, the map can be beaten. Just thought I'd clarify that.

Edited by Silent Wolf : correction of info

You must have the patience of a saint, @rd. What number attempt was that? This shit seems SO bloody luck based. I don't know how many times I died before I threw in the towel but it had to be at least 15.

9 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

You must have the patience of a saint, @rd. What number attempt was that? This shit seems SO bloody luck based. I don't know how many times I died before I threw in the towel but it had to be at least 15.

I first-attempted it, but my real first playthrough before that was with god mode on. (Because I was more just curious about the map based on comments, but while doing that I noticed that the early RL grab and hiding in the RSK cubby would probably work.) 

7 minutes ago, rd. said:

I first-attempted it, but my real first playthrough before that was with god mode on. (Because I was more just curious about the map based on comments, but while doing that I noticed that the early RL grab and hiding in the RSK cubby would probably work.) 

Your video gave me a false sense of confidence, that's for sure. I kept trying to do it exactly as you did but there'd always be something not being in the right place at the right time or something getting in the way or something not dying quickly enough or whatever else. Luck probably had a little to do with it, but I still hope I can be as good as you one day. :^P

17 hours ago, xdarkmasterx said:

Dog shit map I made in a few minutes.

You already said the word I was about to say about this map, so I'm outta of here

So i played it, and this map is unfairly made, you do not have enough room to deal with all 100 something enemies the map throws at you.

Design wise it's dull and not very interesting, The map is mainly a small room with even smaller rooms crammed with enemies.

Judging from the creators view on the project: "This map is Dogshit", i'm unsure really what the intent was, aside from making a Ball busting map which is impossible to beat.

i'd give this map a 1/10.

some advice if the Creator wanted to fix the map to be better: 

1. High tier enemies require more space/less of them to be dealt with

2. Damaging floors are hard to navigate in a fire-fight, my advice would be to add more safe areas for the player to run on to avoid enemies projectiles

3. The design is pretty "Baby's first Wad", I'd recommend maybe have more progression and buildup to the final fight.

Overall it's a rough start, but i feel like this map could, when fixed up, probably be halfway decent

3 hours ago, rd. said:

So it's more like what the DW Ironman League would call a prepared run? ;) (Unfortunately I read "first attempt" to mean "never played the map before")

1 hour ago, Koko Ricky said:

If you call your own map dog shit, I'm probably not going to play it. Was that your intent?

I took it simply as expectation management. Similar to "for what it's worth". "Don't expect too much." "It's not what you asked for, but hopefully you find it interesting. No promises." etc.

Hate to be the contrarian, but it isn’t that bad. It sort of reminds me of a more compact and cramped E2M9 only in an acid pit. It was very challenging and took some trial and error to complete. I think lava would’ve looked more appropriate, though. 

Good news for me , I love dog shit. But I prefer horses's one so 8/10

I actualy tried it, but then I ran out of patience with it...I came close on two occations but I blew my self up with my own rockets....If somebody actualy beats this he will have my respect...

First impressions are dog shit. But the more I attempted it, the more evident it was that it just takes strategy. It's a great challenge map.

On 9/16/2021 at 2:05 PM, Silent Wolf said:

I did have a look and.. I don't think you can actually beat this map. T

Do you think I would have released it if I couldn't beat it XD

23 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

Was that your intent?

To make a map :3

4 hours ago, xdarkmasterx said:

Do you think I would have released it if I couldn't beat it XD

I see your point ( and I added a edit to my original post), though that doesn't change the fact that it is very frustrating to play(at least I find it that way). @RjY mentioned in their post that it'd be better if you use words such as "Don't expect too much" or "no promises" as expectation management, not calling your map dog shit. I'd take that into account. That's my take on the map, at least.  

Edited by Silent Wolf