Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Spacebulb

Doom v1.1 Registered CD version

Hi all - just came across a CD version of DOOM v1.1 on CD, in jewel case, with booklet- CD is minted with DOOM registered v1.1 on the reverse side, top is black printed with DOOM logo top iD logo bottom - anybody have any info on this release - haven't been able to track anything down -  

s-front.jpg

doom cd 1.jpg

That disc is probably a bootleg. There was a thread at the start of this year where it was discussed.

On 2/16/2021 at 6:40 AM, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

there is a somewhat common fake/bootleg mail order version that I've seen show up on eBay several times.  The fake CD comes in a jewel case with a mini-manual, and the disc's label is black with the DOOM logo on it.

3 minutes ago, Boaby Kenobi said:

That disc is probably a bootleg. There was a thread at the start of this year where it was discussed.

I think it's odd how perfectly the paper matches, the mint mark on the back side of the CD etched in - i guess it's a bootleg, but where does the info on that come from exactly? in my case i needed the box an manual in any case, so no loss - but kind of stumped on this CD - 

That disc is indeed a bootleg/pirated copy. Registered versions of DOOM prior to v1.9 were never released on CD-ROM.

Edit:

8 hours ago, Spacebulb said:

I think it's odd how perfectly the paper matches, the mint mark on the back side of the CD etched in - i guess it's a bootleg, but where does the info on that come from exactly? in my case i needed the box an manual in any case, so no loss - but kind of stumped on this CD -

There's a little more information on the bootleg in this thread from 2008.

Here are some more relevant posts:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/915936

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/888103 (Has scans of the jewel case and disc)

Edited by TheUltimateDoomer666

Thanks for the links, interesting, well who knew - the booklet looks so perfectly done, actually amazing how good the quality is on this, and honestly, looks so good i would love to know who made this, cause they did a perfect job, and this was definitely in the 1990s, since the files are from the 90s (or can that be faked?) I kind of thought it was not legit, but it all works out in any case - wondering if you have one, where did you get it?

yeah, and nobody else seems to have ever seen this v1.9 disc since this one find, which is now on ebay for 5K - but still, couldn't find another one of these bootlegs either

The v1.9 disc is mentioned in some of id's text file order forms, and I have seen some other pictures of it online in the past. Someone on Twitter also had a copy, although I can't remember their username. The mail-order v1.9 CD is rare because it was sold for only a brief period of time, as The Ultimate DOOM was released in stores shortly afterwards.

very nice, thanks for the info - good to know - but i'm not thinking i'll ever find one, i'd be happy with a floppy set in box, thanks again for your input - this forum is really a great resource and very helpful and friendly people on here, thanks again!

I just want to chime in and say I’m impressed with the quality of that bootleg. Most bootlegs have gaudy jewel cases but this one would have fooled me (though the lack of any copyright info on the disc did stand out to me, but still)

yeah thought so too, but i was. a sucker for that artwork in the jewel case format, and the disc looks fucking cool - and i needed the thy flesh consumed box to match my floppy discs, so it was a win-win, so the novelty of it is nice - and the fact that it's minted on the underside of the disc, and the typesetting and layout of the booklet is absolutely spot on - I mean minus the copyright on the disc is a giveaway, but still, somebody meant to deceive back in the day before it was easy to figure out, and tell anybody about it -  would be interested to know where anybody else has come across one, what they paid, and country of origin/purchase -