Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RetroGamer02

FreeDoom on the Nintendo GBA

Thank you =)

Right now I'm trying to get FastDooms Saturn style Transparency to work right since it can be hard to see the enemy's that use the shadow effect in normal doom.

FreeDoom Saturn Shadows WIP.png

Looks very good, the only problem I encountered is, while using the same emulator as you, I couldn't switch weapons. I didn't figure out which buttons do the job 

Sorry for the dumb question, but can you tell me how? XD

13 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Looks very good, the only problem I encountered is, while using the same emulator as you, I couldn't switch weapons. I didn't figure out which buttons do the job 

Sorry for the dumb question, but can you tell me how? XD

Goto Tools then settings in mGBA to set keyboard or controller buttons.

Edit: Oh and Hold the Run/Open button then press the L or R trigger button. Sorry sometimes I don't get much sleep.

Thank you for trying out my GBA version of FreeDoom. =)

1 hour ago, RetroGamer02 said:

Goto Tools then settings in mGBA to set keyboard or controller buttons.

Edit: Oh and Hold the Run/Open button then press the L or R trigger button. Sorry sometimes I don't get much sleep.

Thank you for trying out my GBA version of FreeDoom. =)

Thanks. Good job btw

The next release could take a while last time I worked on a map this large it took about a week to get it simplified enough to fit in the GBA's tiny amount of ram.

FreeDoom E2M5 Starting.png

1 minute ago, RetroGamer02 said:

The next release could take a while last time I worked on a map this large it took about a week to get it simplified enough to fit in the GBA's tiny amount of ram.

we will wait marine!

17 hours ago, RetroGamer02 said:

Accidently double posted not sure how to remove it sorry.

If a mod could remove this or someone tell me how to do it myself that would be great.

Click on Report Post and ask for a removal. A mod will catch it and remove your post.

On 9/18/2021 at 4:52 AM, RetroGamer02 said:

Hello I'm wondering if someone could help me test a coding practice project.

I forked DoomHacks GBADoom and made a FreeDoom version. I'm not the best at coding so I expect a few issues. If someone would be willing to help me test it out that would be great.

E1 should hopefully work all the way through. Some levels needed to be modified quite a bit to work with the GBA's 256kb of ram.

https://mega.nz/file/HSYWFZpJ#jK-3Kk2ALja9Xc46tg4NYFMHkcHVJbrfhCJOctxDJq0

GBA FreeDoom.png

that looks amazing

I agree, it looks amazing. Although it runs very slow. That's an issue, unless you play in an emulator that emulates an overclocked CPU. 

Is there still interest in this project? I may consider working on it again.

Looks like doomhack has still been updating the engine that might help the speed a bit as well would have to see.

12 hours ago, RetroGamer02 said:

Is there still interest in this project? I may consider working on it again.

Looks like doomhack has still been updating the engine that might help the speed a bit as well would have to see.

Yep, sure! IT would be great to have FreeDoom on GBA or to serve it as a basis for other projects.

Has anyone played this on real hardware yet? I don't own a flashcart yet but I know there's a clone device that comes with one called Revo K101+, I heard it's compatible with all games and costs a lot less than buying the GBA Everdrive from Krikkz.

On 8/26/2022 at 10:42 AM, Redneckerz said:

Yep, sure! IT would be great to have FreeDoom on GBA or to serve it as a basis for other projects.

REKKR on GBA would probably be awesome besides needing to cut back the larger levels a bit.

3 hours ago, Metal_Slayer said:

Has anyone played this on real hardware yet? I don't own a flashcart yet but I know there's a clone device that comes with one called Revo K101+, I heard it's compatible with all games and costs a lot less than buying the GBA Everdrive from Krikkz.

REKKR on GBA would probably be awesome besides needing to cut back the larger levels a bit.

I test the game with both a GBA Everdrive and the mGBA Emulator. I don't own a Revo K101 so I cant say if it will work on one. I don't think REKKR will run on the GBA at least not with the engine as it is sorry.

Edited by RetroGamer02

45 minutes ago, RetroGamer02 said:

I test the game with both a GBA Everdrive and the mGBA Emulator. I don't own a Revo K101 so I cant say if it will work on one. I don't think REKKR will run on the GBA at least not with the engine as it is sorry.

That's good to know, the compatibility of that clone seems to be 100% or at least for everything people tested on it, but if end up buying one I'll test Freedoom and confirm it here. I imagined REKKR would be a tough one considering the size of some maps.

54 minutes ago, user76828904 said:

I tested it with VisualBoyAdvance. It worked.

Can this run something like Blasphemer?

Looks like Blasphemer requires a Hexen limit removing port. Despite the engine being based off prboom it had most of the advanced stuff removed to work on the GBA and pretty much only vanilla compatible wads will run on this engine. It will take time for even FreeDoom Phase 1 to work well and then I would like to do Phase 2 as well.