Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hawk of The Crystals

Movies That You Think Didn't Need Sequels?

Alien(s) after two. But that would still be a sequel. Three was worse, but I could stand the trilogy, but it should've ended after Aliens 3.

And Anchorman 2. I was really surprised by how much I loved the first film, and the second one came out when my brother was coming home for a visit, so I bought some discount tickets through work for my brother, my mom, and myself. I was sorely disappointed. It felt like it lost the witicism and originality of the first film and went for easy, over the top jokes. My mom and brother enjoyed it, so that's what's important. And maybe I was just pissy because I needed a double hip replacement and I was in constant, excruciating pain. Still didn't like it, and doing a sequel 10 years later didn't work for me.

There's not been very many movies overall written with the explicit intention of sequels, and most of those have been recent and thanks to Disney and Marvel. 

Honestly it would be much easier to list those than it would be to list all the movies that got sequels that shouldn't have.

That said I am glad Silent Night Deadly Night 2 exists. 

300. Probably due to the style aging fast and the second just being more mediocre in comparison.

Dumb and dumber.

Starship Troopers. Well I wanted a sequel and the war wasn't concluded in the first, although it did leave us with the impression Humans got the upper hand by the end. But I just didn't like any of the other movies.

Dumb and Dumber, The Mask, and Ace Ventura. Granted, the Ace Ventura sequel wasn't bad, but also not necessary.

Preposting Edit: Sniped me, Chezza!

Mortal Kombat.
The first one was interesting at least and had most of the lore of the game, with a few liberties.
The sequel was bad...pretty bad, and just doesn't follow up the plot of the games at all.

It was almost Street Fighter: The Movie kind of bad.

Mortal Kombat seems to have a problem with continuity on their films. (or as a whole franchise, probably)
Recently i was zapping channels and found the animated film Mortal Kombat about Scorpion.
Don't know the proper title, something of Legend of the Scorpion i think, maybe i'm wrong.

Well, in that film, that retells the events of the original game, Scorpion is the one that wins the Mortal Kombat Tournament, not Liu-Kang.

So, Scorpions kills Goro, Scorpion kills Shang-Tsung, Scorpion is the one that defies Shao Kanh, and so on.
Liu-Kang, Sonya, Jax and Johnny are relegated to supporting cast with a few good fight scenes.
Strange film, but the animation is quite good. 

1 hour ago, Jello said:

Alien(s) after two. But that would still be a sequel. Three was worse, but I could stand the trilogy, but it should've ended after Aliens 3.

I had the missfortune to start the saga with Aliens: Resurrection.
And i quite enjoyed it, and even found it interesting nowdays.
And then backwards, from 3 to 1.

So for me, Resurrection is probably a bit underrated.

I watched Prometheus...but i can't hardly remember it, don't know why.

My brother stealed my dvd from me, so i will not re-watch it until i casually found it while zapping channels.

I didn't see Covenant, yet.

Brother was freaking out in joy with it. But he is usually like that with anything he likes. :/

Terminator should have ended in 2, probably.

T3 is kinda funny, and thats why i remember it, but nothing else aside from it.
I lose track of how the saga continues after it.
But hey, i'm kinda an Arnold fan, so why not, more films with him are always good.
His kinda sci fy movies were always a mix of action with unsettling in a really good way.
Total Recall, Terminator I & II, The Sixth Day, and that sntragely religious fin de sicle film...how it was called? It was kinda like Constantine but with Arnold.

7 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Mortal Kombat.
The first one was interesting at least and had most of the lore of the game, with a few liberties.
The sequel was bad...pretty bad, and just doesn't follow up the plot of the games at all.

It was almost Street Fighter: The Movie kind of bad.

I have to admit that both Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and the Street Fighter movie are guilty pleasures of mine, and as bad as they are, I'm so glad they exist!

One of my favorite movies over the past decade was Sicario. Now, while I did enjoy "Day of the Soldado" for what it was (not nearly as much as the original, but still), I don't think I'll ever understand why anyone thought it was necessary to make a sequel. Alejandro and Matt were mysterious characters, and for the most part, the only glimpse we got into their world and their motives were through the eyes of the protagonist, Kate, whose part in the story ended on a perfectly somber note. The whole thing felt very neat and tidy, and my admittedly low expectations going in were subverted big time.

I wouldn't call the sequel "bad", by any stretch, I'm just not sure why it was necessary. I'll give it credit though, the last 30 minutes or so had me on the edge of my seat!

1. Aliens. Alien and Aliens are classics. Alien 3, Resurrection, Prometheus, Covenant, and the AVP films are an embarrassment.

2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day. Just like with Alien, we have a case where the first film (The Terminator) is a sci-fi horror classic while the second is as sci-fi action classic. And just like with Alien the sequels were all horrible.

3. The Matrix. The first film is a great, self-contained story that doesn't over-explain to the degree that it exposes how shallow it really is like the two ridiculously horrible sequels.

4. Predator. As far as I'm concerned none of the other movies in this series exist.

5. Return of the Jedi. The Prequel trilogy sucks, the Sequel trilogy sucks. I don't hate Rogue One or Solo but they're unnecessary. I do love the TV side of the franchise, though (Mandalorian, Clone Wars, Resistance, Rebels, Bad Batch). 

6. Almost every comedy ever made. Seriously, there are probably fewer than 10 comedy sequels in the history of film that didn't suck. Of course there are exceptions but not many.

7. Space Jam. The first movie was very much a product of the place and time where it originated. It wasn't classic cinema but it was fun and it was a Looney Tunes movie featuring Michael Jordan. Space Jam 2 is a movie where WB tries to show off every intellectual property they own duct taped to a boring story about LeBron and his son.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Freeze said:

99% of them lol. But I'll draw some fire and say Alien. 

Let's be honest here, alien was a perfect film that didn't need sequels, and let's also just say that all the sequels ruined it. Aliens was just too 80's.

Aliens is what happens when you take the scariest creature put to film and turn it into a giant cockroach. Its a great movie, just call it something else. 

19 minutes ago, RonnieJamesDiner said:

One of my favorite movies over the past decade was Sicario. Now, while I did enjoy "Day of the Soldado" for what it was (not nearly as much as the original, but still), I don't think I'll ever understand why anyone thought it was necessary to make a sequel.

I wouldn't call the sequel "bad", by any stretch, I'm just not sure why it was necessary. I'll give it credit though, the last 30 minutes or so had me on the edge of my seat!

The first movie made money. Simple as that. The second wasn't as good because they couldn't get director Denis Villeneuve back as he was busy making Arrival and then beginning work on Blade Runner 2049.

Definitely Terminator after 2. I think 3 has some solid moments. I especially liked that before he died arnie said to John "we will meet again". His last act was to warn him against himself in the future because he killed John before reprogramming. I thought that was pretty neat.

26 minutes ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Let's be honest here, alien was a perfect film that didn't need sequels, and let's also just say that all the sequels ruined it. Aliens was just too 80's.

I can't disagree here. I love Aliens as a standalone actioner, but that it's a sequel to Alien is kinda dumb.

As for the OP's question... Robocop and Ghostbusters come to mind.

Paul Blart Mall Cop 2 is a waste of time and money... Then again, the first one is also a waste of time and money.

Then again again, most of Kevin James films are usually enjoyed by regular moviegoers... But I'm no regular moviegoer!

Oh and plus I actually used to like Paul Blart Mall Cop but I'm not letting it get past my objective view of quality in film! Plus the sequel did suck for real though, all I remember is the flamingo thing that I'm sure popped up on all of the ads so that's probably why I remember it in the first place.

Jarhead.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Total Recall, Terminator I & II, The Sixth Day, and that strangely religious fin de siècle film...how it was called? It was kinda like Constantine but with Arnold.

End of Days.

1 hour ago, famicommander said:

The first movie made money. Simple as that. The second wasn't as good because they couldn't get director Denis Villeneuve back as he was busy making Arrival and then beginning work on Blade Runner 2049.

Sometimes I'm naïve and forget that's a thing :(

You're probably right. Good point about Villeneuve, as well, there's something special about his films. 

Alvin And The Chipmunks. First off I don't think the first one should've ever been made in the first place, but they made around 3-4 sequels to it.