Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hawk of The Crystals

Movies That You Think Didn't Need Sequels?

I can't be the only one who likes the original Toy Story better than the second.

10 minutes ago, Dubbag said:

I can't be the only one who likes the original Toy Story better than the second.

I think most people consider the first movie the best but it doesn't mean subsequent movies in the series were bad or unnecessary. 

I think the spirit of this thread is movies that were perfectly self-contained and/or simply had sequels that were horrible. Toy Story 2 may no be as great as Toy Story but I don't think anyone thinks it's a bad movie or wishes it were never made.

1 hour ago, Dubbag said:

I did not know people were supposed to like Toy Story 2 better. :P

Me and my little brother watched the first 4 of the micheal bay Transformers movies in theaters. I guess we figured if we watched the first and we did like it might as well watch the rest. 

Now some people think none of the micheal bay transformers movies were needed. I think that's a bit a harsh assessment of the first. It was nothing mind blowing except for maybe the visuals but i think it was an alright movie. However, every sequel after was worse than the one before. I knew early into the 4th one, age of extinction I think it's called, that it was going to be aggressively bad when there was a scene where one of the main character pulls out a card which he always has on him explaining why it's okay that he an adult is dating the main character's underage daughter. Just casually disgusting scene where it felt like micheal bay was directly trying to preach this to the audience (which is mainly teenage boys as he says). Movie was so bad we stopped our tradition of watching those movies.

2 hours ago, Dubbag said:

I only like the first movie honestly. The second movie is fine, I guess. The third, eh, and the fourth, also eh.

IMO the worst of them all is the 4, I feel that the movie was completely unnecessary, if I remember correctly the third was supposed to be the last one.

Some movie sequels that no one has mentioned.

• Alladin 2: Should never have been made.
  • The Lion King 2: Not as bad as Alladin 2, but still a needless sequel of one of the best classic animated movies
Edited by ReaperAA

Avengers, or whichever movie sparked this cinematic universe hellscape we have to live in now.

Hellraiser. As a standalone movie I consider it to be actual art, then the rest came along, although 2 wasn't THAT bad. 

25 minutes ago, Snark said:

Hellraiser. As a standalone movie I consider it to be actual art, then the rest came along, although 2 wasn't THAT bad. 

I love 1 and 2, probably my favorite horror movies. Doug Bradley was amazing as Pinhead, but I feel so bad for him because he kept getting casted for the increasingly terrible sequels.

Hellraiser 3 is watchable, but it was so damn  early 90s. "Oh, a Cenobite that shoots CDs. Great." After 3, I guess I can watch Bloodlines, but once a horror series has to go into space, it's done. 

See Friday the 13th and Leprechaun for examples.

Ignore this. I went to edit my latest post, and somehow it reposted my original post.

So Psycho and The Exorcist in no way needed any sequels, but I actually really like Psycho 2, and shockingly the third and fourth movies are not awful. Not great, but not awful. Anthony Perkin's dedication to the Norman Bates role and solid casting in them I think helped a great deal. 

The Exorcist III: Legion is of course, the real sequel to The Exorcist, the one actually written by William Peter Blattey and adapted from Legion, the book sequel. And I fucking love that movie. I wouldn't argue it's a better movie than the original, but I like it more. The book is pretty fascinating too. I know Blattey was quite complimentary to the Director's cut of Dominion, so I might check it out one day. I can't say I care for the fact David Gordon Green is making like three sequel movies. Blattey's writing was pretty key to making The Exorcist and Legion as great as they were, and I would say at least the original might be somewhat misunderstood. It feels like it gets reduced to "scary possessed girl movie" when there was so much more to it than that. 

It hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll say Halloween. Like, really, Halloween. Every single movie after 1978's Halloween sucks. I don't like any of them. I don't like 2. I probably like 4 the most (the ending is great in a what the fuck way) and its still terrible. I don't like 3 but that's a whole different matter. I don't like H20. And I didn't really like the 2018 movie either, it was like a well crafted fan movie that imitated but never understood the original. Plus no Donald Pleasance, he made 2, 4 and 5 the most watchable sequels. (There was no saving 6)

Edited by hybridial

I don't understand the people who don't like Terminator 3 because it "broke the series' rules" but give T2 a pass even though it started the trend. 

T2 was the first to mess with the previous movie's theme of changing the future. 

T2 was the first actionized sequel to a 80's science fiction thriller. 

T2 was the first sequel to have a gimmick Terminator. 

I love T2 in every regard, but my dislike of T3 was that it just wasn't as good, not that it breaks some sacrosanct rule of the two previous movies. 

4 hours ago, hybridial said:

It hasn't been mentioned yet so I'll say Halloween. Like, really, Halloween. Every single movie after 1978's Halloween sucks. I don't like any of them. I don't like 2. I probably like 4 the most (the ending is great in a what the fuck way) and its still terrible. I don't like 3 but that's a whole different matter. I don't like H20. And I didn't really like the 2018 movie either, it was like a well crafted fan movie that imitated but never understood the original. Plus no Donald Pleasance, he made 2, 4 and 5 the most watchable sequels. (There was no saving 6)

The only "good" Halloween sequel in my mind is Resurrection, specifically the scenes where Busta Rhymes deals with Michael Myers. :P

I wish the whole movie had been like that: it would have made for a great parody!

Edited by Rudolph

The very first movie sequel to be made actually. Try to guess what it was.

Spoiler

It was the sequel to The Birth Of A Nation. I'm not kidding.

13 hours ago, Dubbag said:

i think toy story needed some sequels. though toy story 4 was kinda unexpected. i used to LOVE toy story when i was smaller

2 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Nobody has said Highlander yet? Really?

For the record, I think the first Highlander is terrible as well. But the sequels are something else.

There should have been only one!

Eh, I think the premise of Highlander 2 had some potential, i.e. how does a previously immortal being deal with climate change?

It is weird and kind of random, but intriguing nonetheless.

5 hours ago, The BMFG said:

i think toy story needed some sequels. though toy story 4 was kinda unexpected. i used to LOVE toy story when i was smaller

I think I was in 7th grade when we took a class trip to the cheap theatre to see the first Toy Story. I didn't enjoy it, it was a kids movie. And we had to walk ten miles round trip to see it because I went to the poor Middle School and they couldn't afford a bus.

I've seen most of Toy Story 2 with my younger cousins, didn't really like that either. They're just too saccharine for me.

And I'm not opposed to animated films at all; I was in my early 30's when I watched Moana, Lilo & Stitch, Zootopia, Wall.E, saw The Incredibles in my early 20's, and I loved all of them. Toy Story just never seemed that good. Well, and I guess I don't really care for Tom Hanks or Tim Allen.

8 hours ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Nobody has said Highlander yet? Really?

For the record, I think the first Highlander is terrible as well. But the sequels are something else.

There should have been only one!

Yeah, the Highlander sequels were pretty bad. I like the first movie but it definitely has issues. The concept is awesome and it sorts of manages to capture that, but the fight scenes are a bit lethargic, and I think given the scope of the concept the story should have been written with the idea of it being a franchise when it clearly wasn't. Christopher Lambert did bloody well given his vision difficulties in the fights, maybe it was more of a choreography issue.

I much preferred the TV show because it was able to focus on one character for an extended period of time. Adrian Paul is a solid actor and with his martial arts background he sold the fight scenes much better. I actually looked him up recently because he showed up in a show my partner was watching. He's 62 now and but for a few lines he basically looks identical to when the show ended back in 1998, so he was definitely perfect casting for an immortal.

I can echo a lot of what others have said here, Aliens, Predator, Terminator 2, Star Wars, The Matrix, Jaws, Home Alone 2, etc. Great movies, or great sequels to great movies, followed by one or more bad movies.

I can say that I enjoy Predator 2, it's unnecessary, but it's kinda fun as a dumb action movie. Alien 3 sure is something, wouldn't call it particularly good, but also not all worthless. Hangover is actually a decent comedy, nothing special, simply adequate, but man did it not need a sequel.

Hellraiser is a STUPIDLY tight movie for being Barker's first attempt at directing one, and being made on just like £1.000.000, so Hellraiser 2's existence makes sense from a financial perspective, and I honestly think it's actually kind of ok. It's more the movies afterwards which fuck it up, such as turning Pinhead into a generic slasher villain, not particularly befitting of his character.

Highlander I think is pretty damn good, so it's a shame that the sequels are so bewilderingly bad. The TV series was pretty decent/good, and Highlander 2 at least has some "good bad movie" value to it, in that it's trash shitting on the first one, but you can at least laugh at the goofiness. The other sequels mainly just shit on the first film while being just awful.

On 9/19/2021 at 1:16 AM, Naarok0fkor said:

You mean Brokeass Mountain...

It's a shame the economy hit their business so hard.

5 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Hellraiser is a STUPIDLY tight movie for being Barker's first attempt at directing one, and being made on just like £1.000.000, so Hellraiser 2's existence makes sense from a financial perspective, and I honestly think it's actually kind of ok. It's more the movies afterwards which fuck it up, such as turning Pinhead into a generic slasher villain, not particularly befitting of his character.

Hellraiser 2 was worth it for when the mute girl sudden found her voice again when that doctor cenobite showed up and she said "Oh shit!"

Hellraiser Bloodlines was kind of frustrating. Interesting concept but executed badly.

6 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I can echo a lot of what others have said here, Aliens, Predator, Terminator 2, Star Wars, The Matrix, Jaws, Home Alone 2, etc. Great movies, or great sequels to great movies, followed by one or more bad movies.

I can say that I enjoy Predator 2, it's unnecessary, but it's kinda fun as a dumb action movie. Alien 3 sure is something, wouldn't call it particularly good, but also not all worthless. Hangover is actually a decent comedy, nothing special, simply adequate, but man did it not need a sequel.

Highlander I think is pretty damn good, so it's a shame that the sequels are so bewilderingly bad. The TV series was pretty decent/good, and Highlander 2 at least has some "good bad movie" value to it, in that it's trash shitting on the first one, but you can at least laugh at the goofiness. The other sequels mainly just shit on the first film while being just awful.

It's a shame the economy hit their business so hard.

Then, it should have turned into Hardass Mountain...

37 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Christopher Lambert did bloody well given his vision difficulties in the fights, maybe it was more of a choreography issue.

I love Lambert as an actor, he puts full effort into damn near everything he plays in, plus he's just fuckin' cool. I just wish he would have played in some more serious roles. You have this badass actor who is mainly known for Highlander, the first Mortal Kombat (also featured in this thread), and Tarzan. He deserves a lot more credit than he got and I would have liked to see him at least rise to the height of Sean Connery. I also like Connery but he's definitely put in a few lazy performances.

Diamonds are Forever and You Only Live Twice also were movies that shouldn't have been made, at least with Connery. I still like them, but they aren't as good as Connery's four other Bond films.

13 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I love Lambert as an actor, he puts full effort into damn near everything he plays in, plus he's just fuckin' cool.

Yeah, it was nice seeing him in Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance. Too bad, he did not get to do his weird laugh.

14 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Diamonds are Forever and You Only Live Twice also were movies that shouldn't have been made, at least with Connery. I still like them, but they aren't as good as Connery's four other Bond films.

Diamonds are Forever is one of my favorite Bond movies by far. I know it's silly, but it's intentionally silly, and a lot of the jokes are extremely funny. You Only Live Twice is another classic Bond movie. 

There are seven Sean Connery Bond films. You've either forgotten or didn't know about Never Say Never Again. It's pretty terrible and the only Connery Bond movie I'm not a fan of.

19 minutes ago, [McD]James said:

There are seven Sean Connery Bond films. You've either forgotten or didn't know about Never Say Never Again. It's pretty terrible and the only Connery Bond movie I'm not a fan of.

I thought it was not bad. Sure, the music is not great and the movie feels rather dated in many ways, but it is still entertaining.

Also, it features Rowan Atkinson in a small role! :D