Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hawk of The Crystals

Movies That You Think Didn't Need Sequels?

15 minutes ago, Rudolph said:

@TelicAx7 No, I meant it is weird that there were no attempts to make another The Crow movie in the wake of The Dark Knight.

Ah, that makes more sense then. Sorry for the misunderstanding lol. 

There was not only no need for five Home Alone movies, but we didn't even need the second. It's entertaining enough, but it's one of the most blatant copy/paste jobs I've ever seen in cinema. So many ideas and characters are shamelessly recycled so Kevin McCallister can do everything again, with even some of the booby traps being exactly repeated. And unlike the original film, where his parents forget him in a very organic, believable way, in the second film it takes several catalysts all acting as mini mcguffins to push him along. And while it wasn't something that you really think about in the first, in the sequel it becomes absurd that Marv and Harry not only want to fuck with this kid that nearly killed them both again, but Marv has apparently has a gun right from the get-go and doesn't even try to use it on Kevin until it's too covered in sticky molasses for him to fire it. It's the kind of thing where the original works perfectly well as a bizarre, self-contained home invasion family comedy, but trying to strike gold twice reveals how little you can milk the formula afterward.

@Koko Ricky Five!?? :o

I remember the third one, which to its credit featured a new lead and new villains, but they made more movies after that one?

EDIT: Holy shit, there is a sixth one on the way, with Macaulay Caulkin reprising his role as Kevin McAllister... somehow.

Edited by Rudolph

Speaking of Home Alone, while I find Die Hard 2 enjoyable enough as it is, the movie is so very unnecessary, just kind of rethreading the first movie while being nowhere close to as good or memorable.

It's why I find Die Hard 3 to be a much stronger sequel, it's similar enough if you think about it (and the villain being related to Hans Gruber is a shoehorn if there ever was one), but it feels much fresher overall.

I'm really glad that they stopped milking Die Hard after the third one, and that there was never a Die Hard 4.

@ChopBlock223 My only issue with Die Hard 3 is the ending: both the theatrical and the original deleted ones feel so forced and anticlimactic, like the writers could not bring themselves to let Simon Gruber get away at the end but could not come up an ending that feels organic and earned either.

Edited by Rudolph

11 hours ago, Rudolph said:

@ChopBlock223 My only issue with Die Hard 3 is the ending: both the theatrical and the original deleted ones feel so forced and anticlimactic, like the writers could not bring themselves to let Simon Gruber get away at the end but could not come up an ending that feels organic and earned either.

That's true, actually, the theatrical ending feels like an absolute afterthought, and the more cynical unused ending really isn't much better. They wrote themselves into a corner there, and it shows.

It's an imperfect movie for sure, but one I quite enjoy nonetheless.

1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

That's true, actually, the theatrical ending feels like an absolute afterthought, and the more cynical unused ending really isn't much better. They wrote themselves into a corner there, and it shows.

Also, the unused ending looks and feels like it has been filmed in an afternoon on a shoestring budget. What were they thinking?

I know ending your story on a satisfying note can be hard - even the original movie struggled in that regard - but come on.

23 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

There was not only no need for five Home Alone movies, but we didn't even need the second.

Heck, we didn't even need the original. Never understood why people even like the original movie. A thoroughly average family movie.

Just now, ReaperAA said:

A thoroughly average family movie.

...as if there is any other kind... ;)

On topic: Star Wars. Fight me.

9 minutes ago, Kyka said:

No argument here. I find Star Wars to be the most pedestrian, surface-level sci-fi IP to get as big as it's gotten. It's corny with a capital C. Not that there's a lack of strong visual direction, solid acting and interesting plots peppered throughout the series, but by and large it's just an endless loop of the same characters and events. We only really needed the trilogy and even that was pushing it. 

21 minutes ago, Kyka said:

I sort of agree, actually. I like A New Hope best.

There is a lot to love about The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi, but they feel incomplete on their own.

1 minute ago, Rudolph said:

I sort of agree, actually. I like A New Hope best. There is a lot to love about The Empire Strikes Back and The Return of the Jedi, but they feel incomplete on their own.

The script was horrible in episodes 7,8,9...

15 minutes ago, Kyka said:

I'll fight alongside you, brother :D

8 minutes ago, Naarok0fkor said:

The script was horrible in episodes 7,8,9...

I have not seen those, but I remember not having a great time with the Prequels - which is a shame, as I tend to agree with their anti-war message and their critique of the George W. Bush administration, most apparent in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. Too bad, those movies are just so dreadful to sit through. However, after all these years, I still cannot bring myself to hate The Phantom Menace: I recognize its flaws, but it still has enough redeeming qualities for me to enjoy regardless.

31 minutes ago, Kyka said:

Star Wars. Fight me.

I remember when Civvie 11 made a review on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales and he talked about "Franchise autocanibalism". Looks like the  little bastard mouse won't let Star Wars die in peace.

40 minutes ago, hybridial said:

I'll fight alongside you, brother :D

A pleasure and a privilege my friend. Thank you. :)

I wish you every success.

26 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

I remember when Civvie 11 made a review on Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead men tell no tales and he talked about "Franchise autocanibalism". Looks like the  little bastard mouse won't let Star Wars die in peace.

I was in the music industry for a long time. It really got strangled by the money guys. Nothing against them, every industry needs them, but when they destroy professional creators who have combined lifetimes of experience in storytelling, creative vision, editing, production and an understanding of those intuitive human things that no amount of logic can quantify, and replace all that with budget constraints, pressure, and thinking that they can do just as good a job as the artists and creators, then industries like music, movies, and computer games have nowhere left to go but autocannibalism. Because they can no longer cannot create anything new. They have to eat the corpses of what came before them. 

Big fan of Civvie 11 btw. :)

I'm gonna answer the opposite of this question and say that I'd love to see Disney's Home on the Range get more love, and that yes, I'd love to see a sequel! I'll admit, it is pretty cheesy and they probably have made better before, but I think there's a whole universe just begging to be expanded over there. Unfortunately for my nerdy heiney, given how The Mouse has been running out of ideas, if the live-action reboots are to go by, and how the less said about The Mouse's lawyers, the better... I'm not sure it'll really come into fruition.