Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luleta

moments that made you quit a wad

i was watching gaming list videos and found one called " 8 Moments That Made Us Go Eff This Game". 

and it made me curious of wads that people quit because of certain maps/sections be it for their tedium, difficulty or just overall badness.

for me a few come to mind but most notably slaughterfest 3. 

i got all the way to map28 "dholes", one of the first ToD's maps, and i remember it took me around 4 hours to beat, with saves and all (~2hrs igt)  i was almost done with the wad so i endured throught the map, after which i found out the next map, " Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth" , was also a ToD map. i straight up didn't know where to go or how to approach certain rooms and got so frustrated and overwhealmed i quit. 

i learned that ToD makes demos beating his own maps, looked for the one beating  Escaping the Spiral Labyrinth and the demo got desynced, after which i said, "fuck this" and gave up with slaughterfest 3 completely.
it's a shame really because, admire the visual style in ToD's maps but i just didnt have the patience to figure out the map, tho someday i may revisit it.

anybody got similar experiences? i'd love to read them!

A WAD which I quit was "Going Down". It was going so well but after I arrived at the Hell maps, something terrible happened. At the last maps, my Laptop was lagging A LOT, like worse than Hell. The lag was about to fry my Laptop into the MAX so I had to quit it. Damn

2 minutes ago, Teo Slayer said:

A WAD which I quit was "Going Down". It was going so well but after I arrived at the Hell maps, something terrible happened. At the last maps, my Laptop was lagging A LOT, like worse than Hell. The lag was about to fry my Laptop into the MAX so I had to quit it. Damn

that's a shame, goin down is a wonderful wad, what port were u using to play it?

quitting a wad because of something entirely out of ur control such as system requirements must be the worse. specially considering how doom can sometimes be a gray area for performance.

Just now, Luleta said:

what port were u using to play it?

I was playing it on WAD Commander. It's a tool that allows you to launch WADs in your browser. I didn't tried it on GZDoom tho

1 minute ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

First time playing Scythe I quit on Map 30 Fire and Ice. Anyone that's played it knows what I'm talking about.

ohhhh i remember i didn't uvmax it, i just did a speedrun strat to be done with it haha.

10 minutes ago, Luleta said:

ohhhh i remember i didn't uvmax it, i just did a speedrun strat to be done with it haha.

Yeah, I was just trying to beat it. Now I can finish it, but not without a great amount of effort. It's one of my all time favorite wads.

Map14 from Going Down. For context: I have a broken keyboard and it fricks me up sometimes by locking an input until I press the same key again.

One time I was recording a demo for this map and my keyboard thought it would be a great idea to lock one of my inputs, that was the 'w' key. I ran into the Mastermind at the exit and she killed me after 20 minutes of gameplay.

I had to take a 4 week break afterwards. But I beat the wad anyways so I can proudly brag how I beat Going Down with a crap keyboard :D

11 minutes ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Definitely would have to be episode 4 when I played ultimate doom for the first time.

Ah yes, that's the very first WAD I quit. I couldn't stand the Barons at E4M1 and E4M2 xD

I had multiple issues with reinstalling windows that lead to me loosing progress on so many wads.  I never finished Heretic because of that.

As for wads that I quit were TNT, I made it to Administration Center and I just quit.  Turns out that considering the next map, I didn't miss much.

A Resplendent Emerald Green from JPCP, alongside tanking my framerate, trying to look into tiny holes for Commander Keens is not my style of gameplay, much less on toxic floors in a map with a confusing layout, could've just IDCLEV'D but ehhh

52 minutes ago, CrystalHawk_Doom said:

Definitely would have to be episode 4 when I played ultimate doom for the first time.

oh yeah, e4 is quite the difficulty spike, but after the first 2 maps, it's not as bad.

There is a halloween-themed MAYHEM edition (2019?) with dual-wielding minotaurs that are an absolute pain in the ass to dealt with. The first levels were great, but then it becomes a true nightmare...

Limbo in OG Doom made me quit for about a year. AND it was on the SNES, so no saving... Came back later and kicked the masterminds brainy butt, but I still hate that map.

I usually don't quit the Wads I play, I might quit if all/most of their levels annoy me.

TNT Revilution's last 4 maps did make me quit, but I will probably return to TNTR because only a few number of maps are left.

3 minutes ago, Sena said:

A Resplendent Emerald Green from JPCP, alongside tanking my framerate, trying to look into tiny holes for Commander Keens is not my style of gameplay, much less on toxic floors in a map with a confusing layout, could've just IDCLEV'D but ehhh

huh... i remember i stopped playing jpcp at around map18, because i simply got bored, id have to give it a shot again another day.

usually gigantic maps with "key hunts" (or in this case "keen hunts" ;3333333) are a deal-breaker for me.

5 minutes ago, Snark said:

Limbo in OG Doom made me quit for about a year. AND it was on the SNES, so no saving... Came back later and kicked the masterminds brainy butt, but I still hate that map.

i still dont remember how to beat that map haha. damaging floor on levels that make you revisit areas a ton can be very tedious.

in kamasutra map28 is my least favourite for this reason. they give you a lot of resources but i find damaging floor in big maps very irritating, specially when you don't know where to go.

i remember i was doing a casual solo-net run of kamasutra, and stopped playing on that map (even tho it's not much different than the regular version), simply cuz i didnt feel like replaying it.

When I was a little boy I quit Barrels o' Fun.
To me that was impossible to beat and a damn troll map

Playing Speed of Doom MAP23 on UV. Having a Cyberdemon behind a player 1 spawn point is IMO a concrete example of crossing the line between challenging and outright bollocks...

I don't know about quitting the game outright, but I do know there were moments where after I died, I type in the "resurrect" console command, then "kill monsters" and the noclip to the end of the map.

MAP15 of Memento Mori: I killed all the monsters, saved, looked for the secret exit...and then found out that MAP15 of Memento Mori has a bug where the secret exit gets permanently blocked off because of a mix-up with linedef types at a certain point in the map. Dropped like a sack of depleted uranium!

When there's too many enemies at once and not enough space to safely move around to dodge them.

When there's too many damaging floors and not enough safe floors to safely progress in the level.

When the WAD keeps glitching, crashing, or just plain not working in the source port (or vanilla EXE) it claims to be made for.

Stuff like that makes me quit WADs.

I was playing Memento Mori 2 for the first time and maps 19-23 are just a slog to play. I stopped playing there, but eventually I beat the wad. 

Long, hard, tedious, slow. Whenever I replay MM2 those maps are the ones I dread the most, especially map 20 that one is so damn bad.

1 hour ago, ebigautisticnerd said:

Doom 2 Map08 with keyboard was too much for me

that falling bridge exit made my cousin rage-quit doom 2 :(

Plutonia 2 Map 18

For context, I play all of my wads UV max kills with no saving in levels. Playing a wad like this usually makes it take longer but Plutonia 2 has to take the cake with length. It took me four weeks to get pass Map11 with one or two attempts a night. Due to my desire to be done with this wad I decided to skip the objectively low quality maps which lead to me skipping most of the maps between 11-18. Once I saw that Map18 was going to be another slog I decided to drop the wad altogether.