Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luleta

moments that made you quit a wad

On 9/19/2021 at 4:19 AM, head_cannon said:

I quit Going Down at MAP09, but I had already mentally checked out by the time I was done MAP04.

Funny that, I've also been playing Going Down and hit MAP09. I'm not ready to call it quits yet, though, because I've been loving GD so far, but that's the point where I think I have to face the fact that Ultra-Violence might be too much for me, and I either need to get better at Doom or get over the humiliation of switching to lower difficulties.

E10M5 of the Alfonzone (the last map if going in episode number order) I admitted defeat and resorted to god mode to see the ending.  Kept getting overrun in wave #5 (out of 10) and that's when I got that far.  Didn't have the motivation to try to solve it legit.

Quit Four Seasons after beating the first map.  It's a decent quality set of maps and there are creative and tough combat setups but the setpiece heaviness just wasn't appealing to me.

Not quite there yet but I may not ever get around to finishing Golden Souls 2.  Second map of world 5, the framerate lags on my system.  Less than ideal conditions for fighting or precision jumping.

Didn't quit, but falling into the pit at the end of MAP09 in Plutonia made me question whether or not I actually wanted to continue. That room was such a pain for me, with those revenants and their placement. Just when I was about to reach the exit I walked off from the ledge with the switch onto the damaging floor below, with no way out that I could find. It all ended just like that, not by a revenant's missile, not by mancubi fireballs, but me not realizing there wasn't a platform between the switch ledge and the ring around the exit. At least the earlier parts of the map weren't so tough, so I went at it again and completed the level.

To add, I have no previous experience with the IWAD (aside from watching people play MAP11 and MAP32) and I'm playing on these conditions:

- UV difficulty

- No saves

- Pistol start

- All kills and secrets

- Keyboard only

6 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

Funny that, I've also been playing Going Down and hit MAP09. I'm not ready to call it quits yet, though, because I've been loving GD so far, but that's the point where I think I have to face the fact that Ultra-Violence might be too much for me, and I either need to get better at Doom or get over the humiliation of switching to lower difficulties.

I personally think there's no shame in switching to lower difficulties, and I won't lie, I've been tempted to for a map or two.

It's not a race to prove who's the best at Doom, so if this somehow hinders your experience with a WAD, then by all means lower the difficulty, if it means having a more enjoyable time.

26 minutes ago, TheBlurCafe said:

I personally think there's no shame in switching to lower difficulties, and I won't lie, I've been tempted to for a map or two.

It's not a race to prove who's the best at Doom, so if this somehow hinders your experience with a WAD, then by all means lower the difficulty, if it means having a more enjoyable time.

You’re right, and this was even already suggested to me in another thread. Naturally I would love to be good at what I play, but clearly it’ll take sometime to fully understand and internalize that modern PWAD difficulties is very different to that of classic IWADs.

1 hour ago, TheBlurCafe said:

Fully agree. I will also comment that attempting the blind playthrough of a WAD on HMP does not imply that someone resigns from a UV plathrough. The successful run of any difficult map requires learning the map, and HMP plathrough provides you with information about the map geometry and secret placement. The same can be said about continuous plathroughs and/or using saves.

Even if you want to complete the WAD in UV/NoSave/PistolStart mode, do not be afraid to abandon some parts of UV/NoSave/PistolStart set. Those "easy" playthroughs would be a good exercise before your true UV/NoSave/PistolStart attempt.

Edited by Azure_Horror : spelling

As for Going Down, I can report that Hurt Me Plenty was considerably easier than UV. Pistol-started it and completed it without savescumming (saved two times, in situations where nothing was attacking me), died I think twice. And that one time was me panicking with the rocket launcher.

6 hours ago, TheBlurCafe said:

5 hours ago, Azure_Horror said:

Fully agree. I will also comment that attempting the blind playthrough of a WAD on HMP does not imply that someone resigns from a UV plathrough. The successful run of any difficult map requires learning the map, and HMP plathrough provides you with information about the map geometry and secret placement. The same can be said about continuous plathroughs and/or using saves.

Even if you want to complete the WAD in UV/NoSave/PistolStart mode, do not be afraid to abandon some parts of UV/NoSave/PistolStart set. Those "easy" playthroughs would be a good exercise before your true UV/NoSave/PistolStart attempt. 

Personally, if I'm finding a map particularly intractable I'll sometimes just iddqd to get a lay of the land, then give the map another shot afterwards. Often just being able to assess your options without being under pressure will make things a lot less daunting.

On 9/20/2021 at 10:40 AM, leodoom85 said:

Hellbound. Most boring set imo. 

Made me quit, multiple times, at map 5. It bores me all the time after all the chances that I gave to that wad. Still a nope in my list. 

Even Urania and Eternal Doom (which I detest both of those wads for different reasons, yet I managed to finish them) were no match to the boredom of Hellbound.

Sorry to rewake a 2 year old thread but I tried Hellbound recently and I couldn't believe how boring and repetitive the level design architecture is. Something about it is just... bad. Visually some nice elements, like the canals in 2nd or 3rd map, have a nice look. A lot of the maps have a nice look. But then it gets repeated over and over. I started noticing this in all the maps, and also the boring repetitive gameplay of similar monsters in these repeated areas. Then I started IDCLEV through the maps and it's apparent in ALL the maps. It only took me about 3 or 4 maps to get really suspicious and figure I'd better check ahead. I'm most disappointed because the WAD maker's name looks to be Hungarian. Which I am myself. So I had some secretive high hopes for the wad lol! But no, it's like if it was made by an A.I. that didnt' quite know where to stop copy pasting the same segments together. This map pack is an example of how not to design levels.

3 hours ago, Sirius104x said:

Sorry to rewake a 2 year old thread but I tried Hellbound recently and I couldn't believe how boring and repetitive the level design architecture is. Something about it is just... bad. Visually some nice elements, like the canals in 2nd or 3rd map, have a nice look. A lot of the maps have a nice look. But then it gets repeated over and over. I started noticing this in all the maps, and also the boring repetitive gameplay of similar monsters in these repeated areas. Then I started IDCLEV through the maps and it's apparent in ALL the maps. It only took me about 3 or 4 maps to get really suspicious and figure I'd better check ahead. I'm most disappointed because the WAD maker's name looks to be Hungarian. Which I am myself. So I had some secretive high hopes for the wad lol! But no, it's like if it was made by an A.I. that didnt' quite know where to stop copy pasting the same segments together. This map pack is an example of how not to design levels.

This WAD makes a strong case for the existence of gameplay mods. I played this years ago as I was just getting back into Doom and I think I played with Project Brutality, and actually really enjoyed it. The really detailed and dense environments were a lot of fun to spill carnage in, and the fight construction matters quite a bit less with the more over the top gameplay mods. Going back to the maps now, they are definitely a drag with stock gameplay, and it's a shame because you can tell a lot of work was put into them.

my moments:

• maps that cause very low fps on my old lappy.
  • hardlocks. softlocks are fine though, even with [inescapable death pitstm].
  • maps with lots of repetitive actions the player has to do. eg: activate 8 switches in a room for the exit door to open, each time a switch is activated a wave of monsters attacks the player.
  • slaughternaps with large arenas. i do play slaughtermaps, but gameplay feels repetitive with large arenas.
  • not so nice map flow. eg. having to travel the entire length of map then return, just to activate a switch. or maps with lots of player teleporting.
  • too many custom monsters. a few of them is still acceptable though.
  • overpowered custom bosses to the point attempting to beating them felt draggy and repetitive.
  • maps that spawn monsters making the monster counter unreliable (eg. icon of sin styled maps). resurrected monsters by archies and spawned lost souls by pain elementals are ok though.
  • too many strobing lights. i sometimes get flicker vertigo.
  • not so nice aesthetics (subjective), especially with a jumbled mess of colours.

these are just my personal preference though. tq.

I quit Brotherhood of Ruin on one of the later maps because the ammo scarcity was too overbearing. Next time, I'm gonna play it with continuous starts.

I also stopped playing Phobos by Roger Ritenour on MAP03 because the WAD has REALLY crappy gameplay. Its only selling point are the aesthetics.

Edited by Kwisior

For me it was a certain wad that was just a maze of walking around giant rooms with just 4 or so enemies per encounter  while the map had a overall large monster count and bland design.  It was tedious and draining 

Scythe 2, Map 23. It's not okay for your map to be just narrow hallways and have more than half of your monsters being revenants while getting gunned down by a spider mastermind you can't reliably attack.

Seriously though, map authors. Stop spamming revenants. You're not being either clever or fun doing so. You can't mass spam a monster type who can easily deal 80 damage in one hit. That's bad game design.

2 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

Scythe 2, Map 23. It's not okay for your map to be just narrow hallways and have more than half of your monsters being revenants while getting gunned down by a spider mastermind you can't reliably attack.

Seriously though, map authors. Stop spamming revenants. You're not being either clever or fun doing so. You can't mass spam a monster type who can easily deal 80 damage in one hit. That's bad game design.

If it's supposed to be hard, they can do whatever they please.

I think I'm quitting (or putting on hold for the time being) Stardate 20x7. I bravely started with HMP, and by MAP02 I knew I had to lower down to HNTR. Well, no problem, I still struggled through maps 3 & 4, and just a moment ago I thought tackling on MAP05, and while the encounters at the start didn't feel overwhelming, I still struggled, not feeling, not now. At the start there was this wiggling tunnel with a cyber at the end, I figured I had to make everyone infight, try to feed the baron to the cyber, and pray the chaingunners and revenants will either infight each other to death, or have the last demon standing be fed to cyber before allowing it to teleport away. Already savescumming there. Then I drop down, I figure I have to try have the archvile be gunned down by the chaingunners, but that wouldn't just work, as wouldn't running away, because that just unleashes the host of hell to swarm the place. I guess I'm a scrub.

And I guess I'm also saving SWTW and Magnolia for some distant future.

EDIT: Scratch that. I realized I was just being a tired dummy. 20x7, HNTR, MAP05, doable, although I have the final fight still to survive.

Edited by RHhe82 : Next morning

21 hours ago, Steveb1000 said:

Think I've only quit two; BTSX1 after Map 14, and ALT after Map 4 - didn't feel like the progression was worth the effort.

Oh wow, I have to agree with A.L.T.

I thought it was a clever looking map pack, at first. And it is visually not bad. I got my brother to try it in coop, but soon after about 3 or 4 levels we realized the gameplay is quite shit. Nicely designed levels won't ever make up for that! So we gave up on it by map 5. Boring levels, boring gameplay.

Gave up with TNT Revilution courtesy of Map32 Duality...Fuck that map and fuck it's "gimmick". Nothing like getting a BFG shot ready for an arch vile and then when it was a few frames from firing, I fucking teleport from an unseen teleport line and wasting 40 cells. I. Was. Fucking. Pissed!

5 hours ago, RichardDS90 said:

Gave up with TNT Revilution courtesy of Map32 Duality...Fuck that map and fuck it's "gimmick". Nothing like getting a BFG shot ready for an arch vile and then when it was a few frames from firing, I fucking teleport from an unseen teleport line and wasting 40 cells. I. Was. Fucking. Pissed!

You don't say. I started replaying Revilution when I saw Decino was doing a playthrough of it. I've been having a blast, then yesterday I reached MAP32. Sigh. I'm thinking of it skipping it altogether. It's the one map I hate in Revilution. My OCD will make me replay it before long, I'm sure, but please, can I just get on with the good stuff...

Edit something like 1 hour later: I replayed it... Not quite as annoying as I remembered, and the soundtrack is great. Still, easily my least favourite of the bunch.

Edited by RHhe82