Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luleta

moments that made you quit a wad

On 9/19/2021 at 12:07 AM, Teo Slayer said:

A WAD which I quit was "Going Down". It was going so well but after I arrived at the Hell maps, something terrible happened. At the last maps, my Laptop was lagging A LOT, like worse than Hell. The lag was about to fry my Laptop into the MAX so I had to quit it. Damn

lemme guess...map 28 Necropolis? Yeah I had to switch over to PRBoom to play that one from pistol start and.....it wasn't fun lol

On 9/19/2021 at 1:35 AM, Sena said:

A Resplendent Emerald Green from JPCP, alongside tanking my framerate, trying to look into tiny holes for Commander Keens is not my style of gameplay, much less on toxic floors in a map with a confusing layout, could've just IDCLEV'D but ehhh

oh damn very understandable...that map was a slog. and its such a shame because that map is gorgeous and the MIDI is GOAT-tier

I've only ever dropped 3 wads. 

1. Tarnsmans Projectile Hell (at least the very first version) right uptil E4M6 or M7 I think, because some of the fights across the game were so bullshit that I had to revert to either Buddha Mode or the Resurrect command several times just to get through some parts, and when that becomes a crutch, putting yourself thru all of that suffering just isn't worth it anymore. Still haven't finished it to this day, tho might be tempted to go back once the game is finalized.

2. Sunder because I dont have the patience to continuously UV-max maps with 1k 2k 5k 10k maps....I have a life lmao. 

3. Italo-Doom because that wad is for certified Doom Gods and I am but a mere insignificant mortal. Maybe I'll go back after I git gud

EDIT: Have gotten good. Played and finished Italo-Doom. It was a blast :) 

Edited by i suck at nicknames : skill update

5 hours ago, Teo Slayer said:

I was playing it on WAD Commander. It's a tool that allows you to launch WADs in your browser. I didn't tried it on GZDoom tho

You should probably try it on GZdoom. I used to play on an old gaming laptop which ran like ass for alot of games, but every WAD I played ran smoothly.

I quit Going Down at MAP09, but I had already mentally checked out by the time I was done MAP04.

mouldy is a talented artist with an eye for creating settings of horrible grotesque beauty, and also a fucking wizard when it comes to the ins & outs of using the various linedef actions. But I want nothing to do with this encounter design.

I have a rule when it comes to browsing WADs: if that horrible teleport static sound keeps playing nonstop for over a minute, I close it and play something else. I know that the madness of it all is the entire point, but I can't stand feeling so suffocated and so helpless: I never know WHAT I'm facing or WHERE it's coming from or WHY this is even happening.

The mechanics of these levels are antithetical to what I want out of the game, and it's a real shame that I just can't engage with the work as a whole - I love seeing stock textures used well and every environment is just bursting with character and creativity, but the endless teleport-spam is a deal-breaker.

Map 30 of Sunlust defeated me for 6+ months.

I was stuck on the fight right after you get the BFG - With the 3-4 megaspheres and the hell knight/imp/rev/cyber trap.

I eventually got past it with a bit of save scumming, but wew lad that was a tough one.

City levels from Doom 2

The first time I tried to play Plutonia I guess. At least now I could beat it twice without saving. 

Things that have caused me to stop playing WADs:

- Too many narrow corridors and corners, when it literally makes me nauseous constantly bumping into walls.

- Too much forced, difficult platforming. 

- Inescapable death pits in the middle to end of maps. 

On 9/18/2021 at 3:26 PM, Obsidian said:

MAP15 of Memento Mori: I killed all the monsters, saved, looked for the secret exit...and then found out that MAP15 of Memento Mori has a bug where the secret exit gets permanently blocked off because of a mix-up with linedef types at a certain point in the map. Dropped like a sack of depleted uranium!

I don't even recall that, but I do remember MAP31 after that not letting you get to the secret exit unless you were playing co-op, or if you knew to perform an exploit involving a one-time only jump. That didn't make me quit, but it was a big "fuck y'all, idclip" from me.

There hasn't been anything that's gotten me to quit a megawad I'm in the middle of, but h2h-xmas' whole... everything got me damn close. For single maps, I very nearly ragequit castevil.wad this weekend after spending nearly 2 hours trying to navigate it, then accidentally eating my own rocket and taking a baron fireball at the 11th hour. But I did beat it the next day, though I didn't UVMAX it, because after 3 and a half hours spent on it altogether, I was ~done~

When I first played through Alien Vendetta, like late jun early july 2 months ago, there were 2 times I hit an absolute wall of difficulty and put it off for a few days. One at map 32, No Guts No Glory, because that beginning just seemed so impenetrable to me when I first got through it and wasn't till I came back to it like a week later that I figured it out, and then at Map 26 Dark Dome. I had just taken like 100 minutes to finish map 25, Demonic Horde, saveless so I was just exhausted. So being met with map 26 which seemed even more impenetrable was very very demoralizing and deleted the wad and played some other game for a few days before coming back and beating it. Now I did have fun with these maps but like those 3 maps in particular have a good way of sapping the hope of beating em out from you, especially Map 25 because it uses the game over music from rise of the triad, the other map I heard that in, Scythe's map 30, being the hardest map I beat up to that point also taking me a long time to beat saveless.

The first time I tried Kama Sutra, I couldn't handle the sheer audacity of MAP17.
If you've played it, you know damn well which map it is.

2 hours ago, Xulgonoth said:

The first time I tried Kama Sutra, I couldn't handle the sheer audacity of MAP17.
If you've played it, you know damn well which map it is.

oooh yeah, that map's start can get grindy.

ksutra made me start loving ssging cybies haha

Alien Vendetta, a lot of the mid-late maps are really big and they aren't very much interesting gameplay-wise.

I stopped playing it on map 25/26

It'll usually happen when a wad doesn't offer enough intersting stuff or challenges, especially if the wad doesn't have any variety at all.

Yes, I'm talking about BTSX.

Hellbound. Most boring set imo. 

Made me quit, multiple times, at map 5. It bores me all the time after all the chances that I gave to that wad. Still a nope in my list. 

Even Urania and Eternal Doom (which I detest both of those wads for different reasons, yet I managed to finish them) were no match to the boredom of Hellbound.

On 9/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, i suck at nicknames said:

Italo-Doom because that wad is for certified Doom Gods and I am but a mere insignificant mortal. Maybe I'll go back after I git gud

Italo Doom was great....except map 17, I think it was that map (which it starts with a lot of HKs behind you and a bunch of cybies and archies at front) and I had to cheat at the end because it was too much. 

That map sucks....

I remember quitting on the latter half of Alien Vendetta.

After miraculously surviving Demonic Hordes, the levels that came after were an exhausting test of patience, and eventually gave me what can only be called "Doom Burnout".

After some time, I came back to it, and somehow managed to finish it, but I will never forget how rage-inducing those last few maps were.

I was playing GOTTAGOFAST, (fun time btw) and I enjoyed it's short but fun levels and it's humourous references and jokes in it's intermissions and levels, but then it got to the hell levels to which then it just became annoying difficult and sometimes just slaughter stuff (not that those are inherently bad of course) to which then i skipped to map30 which has 666 enemies to which then i basically quit, I guess technically I didn't quit since I saw the end of the wad, but I believe the point when i'm just god moding and nocliping through the last quater of a mapset is me quiting it. Besides that quater it's a decent time

A couple of the master levels had really bad ammo balance. Teeth and another one. Quit those. Also quit Doom 64 about midway both times i have tried to play it due to its propensity for dickish gameplay design. Probably been a couple more but they escape my recollection. 

I'm not gifted with mathematical prowess (unlike my brother) but when I realized lots of math and numbers were involved

in realizing what I imagined within Doom, I had to push through.

16321671452372.jpg

On my first playthrough of Doom 2, the cyberdemon broke loose from the barons and chased me through the level. I eventually gave up and finished it with godmode a few days later.

Sunder on MAP11 - the first one with 4000+ enemies - because for some reason (probably graphics driver + older pc) it doesn't run well on my computer and isn't fun this way.

Sunlust MAP 32, the only map of this set I quit, because I can't beat the archvile inferno at the end on UV, even taking down some of them with rockets before, but when you're pistol starting the arsenal is limited. I wonder if there is a way to reliably beat this part?

Generally a problem I have is that I don't like most MAP01 (and maybe 02/03) approaches, and then have to force myself to continue on MAP02 etc. So I ended quitting mapsets Eternal Doom and Eviternity for a while after MAP01 or 02 and now both are among my favorite megawads ...

With Ancient Aliens I have a on-off relationship. I know it's one of the most beloved WADs, and I really don't know why (because in general I like Skillsaw's style, and it's not because of the difficulty or so) but when I finish a map, until now, I lacked the curiosity to continue, so I play 1 map each 2-3 months. Maybe it's the color scheme? (I generally prefer more "grim" scenarios).

18 minutes ago, erzboesewicht said:

Sunder on MAP11 - the first one with 4000+ enemies

I haven't played Sunder, and I probably won't any time in the future, not after reading this lol.

Alien Vendetta's Demonic Hordes and subsequent maps had like, what, a thousand enemies? Maybe more? But this is overkill, and it's only MAP11?
Guess I haven't witnessed a whole lot compared to you and the others who played harder WADs like Sunlust and Sunder.

9 minutes ago, TheBlurCafe said:

Alien Vendetta's Demonic Hordes and subsequent maps had like, what, a thousand enemies? Maybe more? But this is overkill, and it's only MAP11?

Demonic Hordes has about 1300 enemies on UV. Dark Dome, the next one after (which I consider more difficult, because it generally has less space to run around and more strategically placed archviles), has about 900, while the others have less.

About Sunder ... "The Furnace" (MAP11) is the map with most enemies of the "old" Sunder, while most others have 2000-3000. From the newer maps, however, at least MAP15 and MAP19 have even more (I think 5000+). Haven't tried them :-)

If you want to try out an easy map with almost 3000 enemies try MAP28 of Speed of Doom. It has one slightly tricky part (the yellow key tower), but the rest is relaxed because of massive infighting and much ammo, I think even easier than Demonic Hordes. And at least on my computer it runs without problems.

What usually makes me "rage quit" a wad is confusing map design like for example doom rampage map15 I guess I don't know but the wad has its flaws but it's not bad but those maps can be hard to play if you don't know where to go.

22 minutes ago, haruko haruhara said:

What usually makes me "rage quit" a wad is confusing map design like for example doom rampage map15 I guess I don't know but the wad has its flaws but it's not bad but those maps can be hard to play if you don't know where to go.

I hate the 'where TF do I go' types of maps but I usually just get impatient and end up noclipping if it takes too long.