Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
drjpeg

Has Doom made you lose interest in any other videogames you were playing?

Title.
I had 5 games that I used to play routinely, however when Doom came in, I just lost all interest in them

Not really. I've always kinda bounced back and forth between Doom, TES 3, Roller Coaster Tycoon 2, and older Nintendo stuff, depending on what I have a hankering for at the time. Getting into mapping for Doom has taken away some of the time I had available for the other games, but I wouldn't say I've lost interest in them.

I've also always bounced around games, and the Doom duology just happens to be 2 of them.

I still occasionally play the odd console game.

Though I am beginning to lose interest in Minecraft for some reason. Maybe it's because I've been having bad Dreams?

Before doom I played sandbox, minecraft terraria gta series, but when doom arrived, I put everything aside, I don't know what doom has, it's like a sadbox, you can do anything with it, assembly, disassemble, modify it, there is always something new to do with Doom!

marine2.png

I wouldn't really say that doom has killed my interests in games that I've played previously, but I would say that it's made me stop playing at least two different games, mainly since I've been trying to work on my let's play series.

Maybe this is blasphemous, but I dropped my first ever playthrough of OG Final Fantasy 7 because all of my time was consumed with playing Doom and Pokemon. Wanna play all the FFs from 4-10 at some point tho, so lets see.

2 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Pretty much, but I don't mind.

To be honest I've started to not mind as well.
Been such a long time that I really don't care as much now as I did then for the other games.
I just play one game aside from Doom now, GMod.

playing Doom constitutes a mere fraction of the time I spend playing video games... and I don't even spend a lot of time playing video games, for that matter...

so, the answer is "no"...

It's honestly become a bit of a problem for me lmao. DooM makes up probably 85% of my total game playing and I have to consciously and deliberately choose to play non-DooM games. Between whatever WAD I'm playing through DooM 2, my seemingly endless playthrough of Plutonia, the occasional Ultimate DooM WAD, my weekly launching of Eternal, and my intermittent replays of 2016 there's not a whole lot of time for other games. A lot of that is because I mostly stick to single player campaigns and it's a lot easier to justify a 15 minute DooM 2 session than it is a 30-60 minute chunk of a game with an actual narrative. 

I still co-op with my friends when they're on (mainly Risk of Rain 2 and Vermintide 2) and might pop in to a Team Fortress 2 lobby here and there but DooM is something I launch virtually every day in one form or another.

I usually cycle through the games and types of games i'm interested in on a monthly-ish basis, these last few months i haven't played much Doom at all

It's definitely overtaken everything else for me right now. I actually have to make the effort to peel myself away from Doom to play other stuff I had previously wanted to play. I think, for me, it simply stems from just how incredibly diverse community-made WADs tend to be so there's always something different to play. Plus, I really enjoy playtesting for mappers and helping them complete their projects for everyone else to eventually enjoy too.

Not really, I sometimes have an off and on status with Doom, but when I get the itch for Doom it stays for a long time and I end up finishing about two megawads (or 4 9 map wads)

Since I was about 10, my time spent playing video games (or doing game-related stuff) has always been "80% Doom, 20% everything else". Still true to this day..

1 minute ago, Doomkid said:

Since I was about 10, my time spent playing video games (or doing game-related stuff) has always been "80% Doom, 20% everything else". Still true to this day..

Hehehe, I can relate to that

Nope.

I bounce around a lot with the games that I own. Sometimes I feel like I'm up for some Doom, then I have the sudden urge to play GTA the next day, then on weekends I just laze about and play some easier stuff like Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 (just barely started getting into this). Then there's Quake, A Hat in Time, Enter the Gungeon, Minecraft, etc. If anything I get burnt out from playing Doom after clearing out megawads, I'm just a guy who likes variety ig.

Not really, I just get a bit bored in very long and very, very, very linear video games, like Half Life, I bought it with Opossing force and Blue Shift, and I haven't even finished the first of them. 

When I had finally started to sink my teeth into custom wads I was playing San Andreas, this was back in April.  I just picked the game back up only to loose interest and stopped playing it.  I will finish it at some point but that isn't any time soon.

Not really, no. Doom (Classic Doom, that is) has always just been there, I've played every now and them, and after two decades I'm back playing it (and the countless Pwads I've been missing on) on the PC.

Back in the early 2010s however another game made me lose interest in other games, and that was Dark Souls. I initially didn't like it, in other words it was too hard for me. I quit it, but came back some months later and played it through. It was refreshing, and for quite a long time after other games felt far too casual or pampering that I found hard to get invested in anymore.

That was back then. Early last year I lost interest in games altogether. I just couldn't find the time and motivation to play anything anymore. I kinda was missing video games, but I had other stuff. And I still do, I haven't played much anything since april 2020 or so, but last month I came back to Doom. I had bought an external keyboard and a (decent) external mouse for my writing stuff, when I discovered I could also try out the modern PC ports (instead of the Unity port on Xbox, which was decent as well, but Xbox controller just seems not to suit Doom very well). So... games are back in my life, thanks to Doom! Or at least one game...

I guess sort of but that's just how I play games. When I hop from one game to another the current one tends to make me lose interest with the last one, so this is sort of a general thing for me and less so specifically for doom. However, when I'm going through a new megawad then this goes up even more. I tend to not play any other games until I finish the wad or when I sorta hit a wall of sorts and fear burning out on the wad, though I usually try to avoid doing that probably longer than I should sometimes burning out a little and not playing for a week or so. So I guess while I tend to get pulled into specific games a lot like this, I do so for Doom a little more than other games.

Sort of. Doom didn't kill interest in a game I was already into but rather stopped me from playing games I might have otherwise played. Doom was the first FPS I played. After that I played a few more FPS games but my luck with those were terrible as I learned the ones I played after Doom were generally not that good. The games in question: Corridor 7 and Ice Nine (GBA). When Doom and all its mods came in. I just don't feel like playing any FPS game other than Doom. So not really stopping interest but not making me interested in FPS games in general.

I still play other things, but almost exclusively 90's games.  Duke, Shadow Warrior, Witchaven, Quake etc..

I kinda play whatever's on xbox games with gold lol
my taste for Doom comes and goes
deeper this time cos I realized I don't like watching my stuff get played on stream, just get so nervous and frustrated about it

my real gaming energy goes into making my own little games in pico-8, designing card game rules n stuff