Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

[SIGN-UPS OPEN] Doom Backrooms Community Project

253174086_backroomslogo.png.d44ab0b14e7f38b07c47a8154b32ac1c.png

"If you're not careful and no-clip out of reality in wrong areas, you'll end up in the backrooms, where it’s nothing but the stink of moist carpet, the madness of mono-yellow, and endless background noise of fluorescent lights at maximum hum-buzz, and approximately six hundred million square miles of randomly segmented empty rooms to be trapped in. God save you if you hear something wandering around nearby, because it sure as hell has heard you…"

I present... The Doom Backrooms Community Project!

Today, we start a simplistic episode replacement for the Ultimate Doom/Doom 1 which will contain:

[E1M1] Level 0 of the Backrooms: Me
[E1M2] Level 1 of the Backrooms: @Dusty_Rhodes
[E1M3] Level 2 of the Backrooms: @TheMagicMushroomMan
[E1M4] Level 3 of the Backrooms:
[E1M9] Level 4 of the Backrooms:
[E1M5] Level 5 of the Backrooms:
[E1M6] Level 6 of the Backrooms:
[E1M7] Level 7 of the Backrooms:
[E1M8] Level 8 of the Backrooms:

The map requirements are relatively simple.

Level 1 has to look kinda like this, a warehouse with some fog, very little supplies, and a lot of gray concrete floors (think of the E2 GRAY1, etc. blocks) Put quite a few monsters in there.

image.png.a8abf181571470f93b00c46ee2bd6cee.png

Level 2 has to be several pipewalls in a dark room, with long hallways stretching for a very long time. Put a bunch of monsters in there too.

Level 3 has to look like a prison of sorts, with lots of bars and very few lights. Put more monsters than Level 2 by quite a bit. Also, add a secret exit somewhere to take you to Level 4 (E1M9), or to Level 5 (E1M6)
Level 4 has to look like an abandoned office complex. No monsters. Add a few windows while you're at it.

Level 5 has to look like an old hotel with a lot of halls and rooms, including a boiler room.
Level 6 has to look very dark and basically have the same layout as Level 0, but very dark and with a little more monsters, mostly pinkies (smilers) and shotgunners (skinstealers). Add a few scream effects every now and again.

Level 7 is submerged, with water up to your waist at least. Gravity is higher. There could be a beast underneath the water, but I might need some experienced scripting and designing editors for that. Lots of random objects floating in the water. Not many monsters, but the beast should be a one-hit kill.

This is a very ambitious project, but I really like the idea of it. My current sketches of Level 0 look like that file "BACKROOM.wad". This is NOT a vanilla-compatible WAD thing, this is meant for GZDoom and is meant to have a lot of cool mechanics in it. Best of luck to you!

PS: I have my own TITLEPIC and M_DOOM screens, so you don't need to add any. If you get your hands on the file in Slade, maybe make something that will bypass the difficulty screen. There are the same monsters on every single map. Put you can maybe put "Normal" (Ultra-Violence) and "Hard" (Nightmare) but exclude everything else. That's it. Also, only use ambient tracks for music, perhaps some OGGs or WAVs?

PSPS: Consult https://backrooms-wiki.wikidot.com/ for pictures and descriptions.

-xdude_gamer

Backrooms project.zip

Edited by xdude_gamer

6 hours ago, xdude_gamer said:

Repost because it avoided most people. Maybe the project can find some kind of refuge here?

I think that's because you posted in the wrong subforum. Anyhow, this looks fairly interesting.

IIRC, there was actually a Backrooms WAD posted here about a year ago, but it was awful. I might take a swing at this, because I'm into abstract ideas, but I can't make any promises that I'll be able to make anything that's going to come out right.

I'm not an experienced mapper in terms of technicalities, but I am good at producing a depressing and surreal atmosphere by use of music and lighting.

I won't be able to start right away, but I'll take MAP02 if that's alright. If anyone else asks for it or thinks they can do better, you can give it to them. I'm also not experienced with the source material that this WAD is supposed to be based on, so I'll have to do some research.

4 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

I think that's because you posted in the wrong subforum. Anyhow, this looks fairly interesting.

I did post in Doom general, got one friend of mine to DM me.

32 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

IIRC, there was actually a Backrooms WAD posted here about a year ago, but it was awful. I might take a swing at this, because I'm into abstract ideas, but I can't make any promises that I'll be able to make anything that's going to come out right.

I'm not an experienced mapper in terms of technicalities, but I am good at producing a depressing and surreal atmosphere by use of music and lighting.

I won't be able to start right away, but I'll take MAP02 if that's alright. If anyone else asks for it or thinks they can do better, you can give it to them. I'm also not experienced with the source material that this WAD is supposed to be based on, so I'll have to do some research.

Well, I've already got someone on E1M2 (yes this is a Doom 1 wad, subject to change!) but you might be able to do E1M3.

1 minute ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I forgot to ask the most important question. Are custom textures allowed? If so, E1M3 sounds good to me.

Custom textures are allowed. I haven't quite gotten to make my own (E1M1 is a bit of just squares with walk-over secrets and a few monsters) but maybe you could help with that too if you wanted. You have E1M3 :D

11 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

I forgot to ask the most important question. Are custom textures allowed? If so, E1M3 sounds good to me.

Also, there is no due date, so if you send it in 2033, we may get a Mordeth award, but I'll still accept it if I can remember it

2 hours ago, xdude_gamer said:

I did post in Doom general

Seems like we've got some sort of misunderstanding going on here - you aren't supposed to post your (community) projects in Doom General - because they would quickly get buried under lots of discussion posts. 

You might want to self-report your original thread to an admin, see if they can move and merge these 2 threads together. That could help with publicity and organization in general.

7 hours ago, Hitboi said:

Weird but unique, but I don't like how it's gonna be executed.

This is the first community project I have fully made an attempt to commit to, so it is a bit primitive compared to other projects... i.e. Ultimate Twango and Doom 2 As We Remember It. 

1 hour ago, xdude_gamer said:

This is the first community project I have fully made an attempt to commit to, so it is a bit primitive compared to other projects... i.e. Ultimate Twango and Doom 2 As We Remember It. 

I'm not talking about the quality, but rather the concept.

Regarding this, E1M4 seems to fit the Backrooms creepypasta, I'd like to take the E1M4 slot.
Also, this is meant to be GZDoom-compatible, but there's no "GZDoom: Doom 1/Ult Doom" format in the revision "2787" of GZDoom Builder?
I don't want to switch to UDB because my computer can't run it.

Edited by Hitboi

11 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

I'm not talking about the quality, but rather the concept.

Regarding this, E1M4 seems to fit the Backrooms creepypasta, I'd like to take the E1M4 slot.
Also, this is meant to be GZDoom-compatible, but there's no "GZDoom: Doom 1/Ult Doom" format in the revision "2787" of GZDoom Builder?

Maybe just type MAP04, then when you send it to me I can convert it to an E1M4 level? Also, you're added :)

1 minute ago, xdude_gamer said:

Maybe just type MAP04, then when you send it to me I can convert it to an E1M4 level? Also, you're added :)

Okay I will do that, thanks mate :)

Actually, I'm gonna leave slot 4 for other people to map, because I don't know how my ideas fit perfectly in this wad.

1 hour ago, Hitboi said:

Actually, I'm gonna leave slot 4 for other people to map, because I don't know how my ideas fit perfectly in this wad.

Ok, I'll take you off. Are you gonna do another slot, or no?

3 hours ago, xdude_gamer said:

Ok, I'll take you off. Are you gonna do another slot, or no?

No I won't take another slot.

5 hours ago, Hitboi said:

No I won't take another slot.

Oh, ok! I hope you have a great day and I hope whatever ventures you're working on are successful :)

Just in case you're wondering, the maps don't have to be too big, but they have to be at least a few thousand map units in size and maze-y.

i have actually already been working on a massive backrooms level myself, which already features levels 0,1,2,3,188, the hub, the pool rooms , the end and kitties room.

i was actually thinking about starting a project like this as i also noticed a lack of quality backrooms levels for doom, and as theres is houndreds and houndreds of interesting levels that there is potential for massive megawads community projects, so perhaps we could collaborate as i have become very obbssesed of late in the backrooms.

these are some pictures of what i have done so far

backrooms doom 3.jpg

backrooms doom.jpg

backrooms doom2.jpg

backrooms doom3.jpg

doom backrooms hub.jpg

On 1/20/2023 at 9:11 PM, Aku said:

i have actually already been working on a massive backrooms level myself, which already features levels 0,1,2,3,188, the hub, the pool rooms , the end and kitties room.

i was actually thinking about starting a project like this as i also noticed a lack of quality backrooms levels for doom, and as theres is houndreds and houndreds of interesting levels that there is potential for massive megawads community projects, so perhaps we could collaborate as i have become very obbssesed of late in the backrooms.

these are some pictures of what i have done so far

backrooms doom 3.jpg

backrooms doom.jpg

backrooms doom2.jpg

backrooms doom3.jpg

doom backrooms hub.jpg

Nice.