Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Clippy

The End (now on ID games)

Sharing here the playtest video from an early version.

Was great to play a bigger map this time around, and those little precious cacodemons were a great add,

trying to get our buddy along is both hard and fun.

-

The trailer is hilarious buddy haha

You scared me clippy, I thought you were writing a farewell message based on the title.. but it's a map.. thank gosh.

It's a shame my internet is terrible otherwise I would definitely play this because it sounds so cool...

One day the internet will get better...

You went too far with those secrets, buddy

Cool map, this time larger, I like it. I found it a fair challenge, but I'm not entirely sure everyone here can uv-max it without dying lol

@Soulless thank you again for giving my map a play test. I'll continue to share more videos of your map starting next week. I've added many more secrets since your time but nothing fundamental has changed. I really enjoyed when you found that cacodemon buddy and became best friends. Good times 

Everybody play tricked and trapped by soulless for real it's awesome

@Yandere_Doomer I'm not the kind of person who makes threads about farewells lol. I don't know how you do anything with the way you've described your internet

@Astro X thank you for spending so much time with my map oh my goodness. This map isn't that long but you really searched for those secrets I commend you on how many you found. I've hidden them quite well in this one - I can't help myself I just love hiding things I guess lol 

Great video. You missed the hell night on the way to the map which you were close to getting. Candles are your friend. I tend to hide the map the hardest because I know how valuable it is in secret finding. You were close! 

Sometime unless another beats me to it I'll make a video that shows everything

Thanks again

PS I see my videos have had a profound effect on your vocabulary lol 😁

Looks good and I may have time tonight to give this map a go. I'll post again after playing!

Edit: Will have to try again later. Kept dying over and over from so many hitscanners, even after lowering the difficulty. Crazy map with danger everywhere! I unfortunately ran out of time and will try to beat this again tomorrow! 

Edited by hjordan159

This is such a charming map. My favorite part was teaming up with the baby caco. My least favorite part was when he died :(

I found 3 of the secrets - lol I'm so bad at finding them. It drove me crazy trying to figure out what the flesh switch under the stairs did, I never figured out what it did. I also love the idea that you made a mirror version of this map. Did you really design it as Map 2 and then just decide to reverse the progression, or was this the whole idea from the start?

Edit: I would like a whole adventure of maps with the baby caco please.

@hjordan159 thank you for having a look. I tried not to use hit scanners in an offensive way by giving plenty of cover with crates and so on. You kind of have to steal a shotgunner's gun and carefully make your way to the north. Good luck!

@Origamyde thank you I was considering making professional movie trailers now. Dewey will return in the next Avengers

@LVENdead thank you so much for your feedback. Just started as I wanted to make a medium-sized map and the only gimmick I had at the time was the player starts at the exit. I even had four pinkies in there but was still able to exit so I had to add a pistol dude to slow them down p and now I think it's impossible. I kind of hope someone proves me wrong and is able to beat this instantly 

So I built the exit platform first and then the entire map around it. At one point I played a map that had a baby caco in it by @Killerratte I felt compelled to work that into my map here. Then Arqueto wanted a story for this map so he can come up with a title pic for me and that inspired me to make the trailer

So the map was always meant to start at the exit but I figured I'd release the other version too in case people want to try that but it was an afterthought

Is that a hazelnut in your profile pic

This map was very cool. I actually enjoyed a lot this neat gimmick of yours with the starter point at the exit :)

Though, I'll give it a 7.8/10 overrall. Too many fat tigers.

3 hours ago, Clippy said:

Is that a hazelnut in your profile pic

It's the helmet of the character Siegmeyer from Dark Souls

Spoiler

8c76af63-54f6-4d23-87a7-e5d3e5f6dd97.jpg

20 minutes ago, LVENdead said:

It's the helmet of the character Siegmeyer from Dark Souls

Hide contents

8c76af63-54f6-4d23-87a7-e5d3e5f6dd97.jpg

But who is under the armor? 

png-clipart-michelin-car-michelin-man-mi

@Origamyde thanky - glad u enjoy gimmick - you can see map 2 for not the reverse way - even tho this map was built backwards  - fat tigers are cool

@Biodegradable thanks so much for playing it was interesting seeing you Rambo your way through this map as fast as possible - leaving a lot of monsters to dance around haha - I am glad u had fun with dewey

Ya this map is pretty hectic at the start - which I didn't intend to be so rough for blind plays - you kept missing all that health I gave you at the start - I am glad u stuck with it tho good times I'll ty to come back with something less crazy next time

RIP some of dewey's brothers you slaughtered

get well soon

Your reactions are always fun - you like that BFG room eh hahahaha

alruight take care

So many deaths, but in the end I got there. The only issue I had was after getting the 3 keys, it took me a long time to notice that the red tower-ish building had the three key-locked doors. The baby cacodemon is awesome, and the secret room with the pile of them floating around was actually adorable. I saw your warning about picking up the BFG and wondered how bad it could it really be, and then found out. I don't know what the fat tiger joke means, but did lol at the beer/tiger poster.

Probably my favorite room in this map. I was even murdered by the toilet in the corner:

Screenshot_Doom_20210923_182421.png.77dbf11403461b8507288a92526c9b55.png

I also like how circular the map ends up being once you get further along, everything connects together nicely. Great work!! 

17 minutes ago, hjordan159 said:

I was even murdered by the toilet in the corner:

This happened to me as well. It was highly amusing.

Fun stuff!  I liked the gimmick of starting at the exit and then finding all of the "starting" weapons quite late.  Very happy to say that (I think) I completed the map with Dewey still alive.  Of course, I waited until almost everything was dead to free him.

The hardest part for me was the archvile fight at the BFG trap.  I doubt it was the intended method but I ended up beating it by retreating back down to the lava pool room and fighting them while they resurrected everything up on the red key ledge.  I really loved the blue key stair sequence after that part--I can see how going toward the blue key after getting the BFG would make it a lot more hectic.

I guess I'll point out that in a couple of places (the open area with the nukage and the open area with the lava pools) the high contrast lighting made it difficult for me to see.  Obviously, this could be on me--it could be my settings, the lighting in my apartment, or maybe I'm just getting old!  I set my sector lighting in GZDoom to bright and that worked for me.

I only found like 6 or 7 secrets on this one but the ones I did find were well designed.  I'm going to check out the map 02 version and see if I find more.

whoa lots of replies cool thanks

@Ar_e_en yeah poor dewey - he probably bit off more than he can chew - ya gotta protect him and free his buddies!

@hjordan159 Thanks for feedback - upon reflection I see the red building may be hard to know what it's for ummmm not sure how to fix that really. maybe I should have put a lava moat around it and lit it up somehow or used words/arrows. THe BFG room is meant to be epic because it completes a loop around the complex, so if you bust through it you can really shortcut the level. I wanted a barrier that was more based on archviles than some other thing. An open path that you don't want to take until you are stocked up for it. My buddy Arqueto got obsessed with fat tigers lately so I put some pics he made into my map. I am glad you liked the room with the beds, the TV and the open toilet - I wanted to make that room as silly as possible.

@LVENdead I am glad you both liked my murder toilet - it was copied from map 14 of my Cliptucky wad - but really you should die if you fall into a toilet that's just life

@Salmon Thanks for playing I am glad you liked gimmick and protected Dewey - you are a hero among heroes. The BFG fight yah - I didn't consider that ppl could fight from down there but it is what it is - I was thinking of fighting them later with more resources or using the secret invuln. sorry about lighting - tbh that room didn't work out like I wanted from the get go. Some day I'll reveal all secrets, as for map two it's the exact same map but from the real start - much harder with no rocket launcher or SSG any time soon - I literally built the map backwards so it was never designed for forward play, but I included it anyway in case ppl were curious :)

@bobbotron hey there I just played one of your maps! Glad you liked trailer, I try to make a video to promote each new map but I got way carried away with this one. It all started because my buddy Arqueto wanted me to tell him a story for the graphic he was making.

@Naarok0fkor yah that's a song

Fun map! The Baby Caco was the highlight. Beginning at the End wasn't as impactful as I had anticipated. The map seemed balanced for it. Map02 was a little weirder in that regard.

I didn't find all the secrets. Also, I died a lot in the beginning, but after a full week of not playing Doom I was a little bit rusty.

@Pistoolkip thank you for playing

Yeah my original concept was to make a map that was functional from reverse to beginning. That's why map 2 has the alternate take. You should take a peek at map 3 just for some baby caco carnage 

They're all the same map though so I don't expect you to play anymore but just mentioning what's going on here

Also don't feel bad for having a hard time at the start er the end er you know - the first area you come across

I've had a lot of feedback that that was pretty intense. I got to remember that everyone plays differently and I'm a bit of a cautious player. I personally like to go about by carefully using the crates for cover and pinging off the hit scanners first. But I may have fallen into that old trap of knowing the map too well as the Creator

I want to be nice. I'm hoping to come back with a small set of easier playing maps 🌮

The difficulty is fine. I jumped in blind and rusty at UV and missed the armor at the start. I almost made in on attempt 2 but that AV sniped me cause I was too slow.

I checked out map 2 briefly but decided not to add it to the video. I'll have a looksy at 3 cause Baby Caco carnage sounds fun.

32 minutes ago, Pistoolkip said:

The difficulty is fine. I jumped in blind and rusty at UV and missed the armor at the start. I almost made in on attempt 2 but that AV sniped me cause I was too slow.

I checked out map 2 briefly but decided not to add it to the video. I'll have a looksy at 3 cause Baby Caco carnage sounds fun.

Ya in the trailer I made when the baby cacos break out and start killing the other monsters in there

That's where map 3 starts

Then you can take your new friends through the rest of the map to help ya

Holy sh*t, I managed to finish the map after 25421632 deaths on HMP xD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Architecture/general aesthetic :
Description > There is really good ideas with a sobre architecture, I especialy liked the funny "office" part with the caco-babies secret room and the little "paradise" phase (I expected the trap haha).

The marks on the floor by using lighting were also hilarious as much as simple and ingenious.

The part with the Blue Key blowed my minds from a technical point of view, don't know how you managed to make work all of this but good job !

Combats/gameplay design :
Description > that's my very personnal least, though the gameplay is objectively balanced, just mercilessly. I saw the playthrough above so I started on a lighter difficulty, but still it was a really hard map, even on HMP, I can't imaginate UV.

Also, maybe I'm just stupid or something, but even if there were 20 secrets, I felt like there was much less for some reason, they were really well hidden. This is my opinion about map designing but I think at least 2/4 of the secrets should be obvious to find to give some dopamine charge and so keep the player aware of searching for them (the only one I actually found was the caco-babies secret), like a sort of "secret difficulty" : easy to find, to hard to find.

After all, there is an unique gameplay and a fresh vibe. Didn't tried the little challenge of finishing the map from another place, but it's a neat idea !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Briøche

On 9/29/2021 at 8:11 PM, Briøche said:

Holy sh*t, I managed to finish the map after 25421632 deaths on HMP xD

Architecture/general aesthetic :
Description > There is really good ideas with a sobre architecture, I especialy liked the funny "office" part with the caco-babies secret room and the little "paradise" phase (I expected the trap haha).

The marks on the floor by using lighting were also hilarious as much as simple and ingenious.

The part with the Blue Key blowed my minds from a technical point of view, don't know how you managed to make work all of this but good job !

Combats/gameplay design :
Description > that's my very personnal least, though the gameplay is objectively balanced, just mercilessly. I saw the playthrough above so I started on a lighter difficulty, but still it was a really hard map, even on HMP, I can't imaginate UV.

Also, maybe I'm just stupid or something, but even if there were 20 secrets, I felt like there was much less for some reason, they were really well hidden. This is my opinion about map designing but I think at least 2/4 of the secrets should be obvious to find to give some dopamine charge and so keep the player aware of searching for them (the only one I actually found was the caco-babies secret), like a sort of "secret difficulty" : easy to find, to hard to find.

After all, there is an unique gameplay and a fresh vibe. Didn't tried the little challenge of finishing the map from another place, but it's a neat idea !

I'm sorry I'm only seeing this now

thanks for the feedback!

Yes this turned out much harder than intended and the secrets are crazy  - I'll be doing a reveal vid shortly if you are interested

3 hours ago, Clippy said:

Yes this turned out much harder than intended and the secrets are crazy  - I'll be doing a reveal vid shortly if you are interested 

I'm absolutely interested ! :)

Okay here it is I talk a lot and explain all the secrets but I spent the last part of the video looking for a helmet for a while 

I really wanted to try a speedrun on that crazy start point. Gotta mention I still think is doable on UV, but the doom gods must be with you,

saying this because in one of the many attempts all the pinkies got out by rng miracle and I really had a chance there.

heres the outcome on HMP: