Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Impboy4

Bigger Boomstick Nearby

One map for Doom 2, UDMF format. Jumping is allowed to access secrets. The only picture you're going to get is this one, which should give you a clue:
Marathon_logo_svg.png.dfd82a93ff84c2866512b1bc9c1817a5.png

Update: Wad is now 1.1. I fixed a broken secret, changed one area to a static portal to emulate Marathon's 5D space, and provided low gravity since the game it came from also had low gravity.

BiggerBoomstickNearbyv1.1.zip

Edited by Impboy4 : updated to 1.1

I just have a couple things to say. First of all the map looks good. I still think you could use some more detail in the floor or ceiling break the flatness of it all. I also think there are way to much corridors you should break it up by some of them. Combat is good you could maybe even make it a bit more difficult. For the rest good map I liked it.

1 hour ago, azerty said:

I just have a couple things to say. First of all the map looks good. I still think you could use some more detail in the floor or ceiling break the flatness of it all. I also think there are way to much corridors you should break it up by some of them. Combat is good you could maybe even make it a bit more difficult. For the rest good map I liked it.

You played the really old version on Discord which had less difficulty than the current one now.

i like the atmosphere of the map, and i was super excited to see Specter Imps as well as other specter based enemies! the overall architecture was nice and kind of reminded me of Doom 64's sprawling Tech bases. However i think the map is fairly flat and kind of barren in terms of details, the combat is solid and enjoyable, Overall i think with a bit of polish and more detailing, this could turn out to be a very good tech base map.

I'd give it a 5/10, full of potential and I'd love to see the idea expanded upon.

1 hour ago, Morpheus666 said:

...stuff about more detail...

Sorry, but that's not going to happen. I have grown attached to simplicity that it's to the point I prefer this kind of mapping than overly detailed people do today.

Thanks for saying the gameplay is enjoyable though!

Pretty solid idea for a map and I love the use of coloured sectors and portals but... after around 3-5 minutes of shooting, the map gets kinda repetitive, only containing around 3-4 enemy types. Biggest issue also is at one point you go down a spiral staircase and all of a sudden there's no health, armour or ammo pickups, thus I was widdled down by the several "cacodemon" enemies in my way.

18 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

You played the really old version on Discord which had less difficulty than the current one now.

Oeps sorry about that.

16 hours ago, Impboy4 said:

Sorry, but that's not going to happen. I have grown attached to simplicity that it's to the point I prefer this kind of mapping than overly detailed people do today.

Thanks for saying the gameplay is enjoyable though!

Like you wish everything I say are my personnel thoughts you do what you want with it. It's your map after all.

4 hours ago, azerty said:

Like you wish everything I say are my personnel thoughts you do what you want with it. It's your map after all.

Technically, it's not really my map but Bungie's. I just wanted to convert it to doom and see how the layout/gameplay would pan out compared to Marathon.

7 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Biggest issue also is at one point you go down a spiral staircase and all of a sudden there's no health, armour or ammo pickups, thus I was widdled down by the several "cacodemon" enemies in my way.

That was deliberate. If you played Marathon (which you probably haven't), after you drop down from the first area, you have to be wise with your health. The lack of armor is mainly due to the fact the original level only had a x1 health recharge station. If I make more Marathon conversions, levels which have x1 recharge stations will have health items only, x2 recharge stations will have health items and green armor, x3 recharge stations health items and blue armor.  If a level I'm converting has one of each type of recharging station then they'll all be available.

Here is the good version. Combat was way more fun and entertaining this time. Sorry for playing the wrong one. I is jumping allowed because I think it wasn't but I am not sure.

Edited by azerty

4 hours ago, azerty said:

I is jumping allowed because I think it wasn't but I am not sure.

Jumping is allowed to access secrets.

Marathon my beloved

As a kid that grew up on Halo and Xbox, Marathon was one of the first things I tried when I got into older PC (well, Mac in this case) shooters. Marathon 1 is so atmospheric, been waiting forever for someone to make a wad based off of it. Good work, it is a little simplistic, but if you like that style, I can't change your mind. Still think the Halo and Marathon trilogies have the best level names of all time, so Map02 from M1, Bigger Guns Nearby was a good choice. I always enjoyed how short and sweet the level was, so it was cool seeing converted to Doom, which is something I've always wanted to do, but never got around to. This is definitely more of a mood piece / transitory level, as the combat would not be something I'd want to play a full wad of. However for one map, it was quite fun. Good work.