Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

Favorite band?

2 hours ago, Origamyde said:

potential with Gary Cherone

Underrated vocalist. Anyone doubting him should watch extreme's queen medley from the Freddie Mercury Tribute show then his performance of Hammer to Fall with the remaining members. Queen's music seperates good singers from great and he nailed it.

56 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Underrated vocalist. Anyone doubting him should watch extreme's queen medley from the Freddie Mercury Tribute show then his performance of Hammer to Fall with the remaining members. Queen's music seperates good singers from great and he nailed it.

I completely agree. I dig Cherone's vocal broadness and talent when it comes to his years with Extreme, and his performance within the Tribute Show was truly awesome !

I'm still frustrated by the way VHIII was handled and produced, because he definitively could've been a really nice addition to Van Halen's singing rooster. Obviously, it's hard to come by right after Dave and Sammy, but it's not like he's a fraud or anything 😔

3 minutes ago, Origamyde said:

I'm still frustrated by the way VHIII was handled and produced, because he definitively could've been a really nice addition to Van Halen's singing rooster. Obviously, it's hard to come by right after Dave and Sammy, but it's not like he's a fraud or anything 😔

Todd in the Shadows did an interesting video on that album in his "Trainwreckords" series. I may not be remembering 100% correctly but the general gist of it was that the production was a total disaster. The initial producer was some guy who actually made TV themes up to that point, and he supposedly abandoned the project before completion. Now Eddie was obviously an excellent player who came up with some great guitar parts, but an actual composer he wasn't. It was up to David and then Sammy to actually assemble the bits into actual songs. So it seems likely that with Gary being the new guy, in spite of being an experienced singer and songwriter, was either forced to or felt like he had to let Eddie take the lead and well... the results speak for themselves. Vocally Gary sounds way off, and the closest explanation I can come up with that Eddie was out of his depth and was trying to compose songs as if Sammy was still on board as opposed to playing to Gary's strengths. Even the one song that I can remember not minding too bad musically, "Fire in the Hole", lyrically was complete gibberish.

@Murdoch I actually remember that video the same. Not only Cherone's singing is off, but the backing vocals were awful as well. Michael Anthony's singing wasn't done justice on this album at all, and it clearly shows.

"Ballot or the Bullet" is my personal pick for worst song. It's like they're emulating RATM, minus everything that made it good (on top of being totally out of place in a band's catalog of songs about love, atomic punks or aliens) in the first place 🤔

Edited by Origamyde

Red Hot Chili Peppers, specially the Frusciante era, though The Getaway was surprisingly good. I'd have liked it more if the guitar was more prominent. Anxiously waiting for the new album.

Edited by Rakuen

1 minute ago, DSC said:

Take a wild guess...

I know, I know... it's Macarena right?

1 minute ago, Murdoch said:

I know, I know... it's Macarena right?

You're close...

1 minute ago, DSC said:

You're close...

Bahah I got confused which thread I was on, thought I was on the Earworm thread.

More seriously, yes Pink Floyd is great. "On The Turning Away" is in my top songs ever list. Beautifully composed, very moving lyrics, and that epic outro solo.

Just now, Murdoch said:

Bahah I got confused which thread I was on, was on the Earworm thread too.

Oh well, Macarena was their one-hit wonder everyone knew them by, so its not accurate to call the band that.

6 minutes ago, DSC said:

Take a wild guess...

Maxwell’s four laws on electromagnetism?

3 minutes ago, ducon said:

Maxwell’s four laws on electromagnetism?

Very very close... Think more of someone with the initials TY...

trying to listen to more new stuff and give my old faves a break. Einstuerzende Neubauten, whatever. 2021 very into Squid's album "Bright Green Field" so far

1. Metalica.
2. Queen.
3. Niravana.
4. Dragonforce.
5. Tally Hall.
6. Red Hot Chilli Peppers.
7. Linkin' Park.

6 hours ago, DSC said:

Take a wild guess...

Your avatar, Pink Floyd.

Edited by Hitboi

Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Ozric Tentacles, Big Big Train, Tesseract, Leprous, Rush, The Reign of Kindo, Dirty Loops, Steven Wilson, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Jamiroquai, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc

19 hours ago, Deadwing said:

Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Genesis, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Ozric Tentacles, Big Big Train, Tesseract, Leprous, Rush, The Reign of Kindo, Dirty Loops, Steven Wilson, The Pineapple Thief, Riverside, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Jamiroquai, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc

Damn, you must like prog, me too!

38 minutes ago, FutureDAY said:

Without thinking twice, Queen

can...

ANYBODYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
FIND MEEEEEEEeeee

SOMEBODAH TOOOOOO

love...

4 hours ago, RetroAkaMe said:

1. Nirvana

2. Alice in Chains

3. i dunno

Unrelated, but I do love the resurgence of the fish avatar, classic

Anyway, on topic, favorite bands:

The Beatles

King Crimson

Emerson, Lake, and Palmer

The Band

Pink Floyd

Tally Hall

Miracle Musical

Cojum Dip

Traffic

Yes

If individual artists are also allowed:

Bob Dylan

Syd Barret

Joe Hawley

Paul McCartney

George Harrison

Brian Eno

Robert Fripp

Mike Oldfield

That's generally what I listen to, I'm always open to try new music though.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:58 AM, xdude_gamer said:

I'll bet it's Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention ;)

Nah, no way Doomkid likes the Mothers

*wink wink*

Jokes aside, Weasels Ripped My Flesh, Hot Rats, and Waka Jawaka are pretty great. Other than that I never got into them or Frank.

Blink-182 are my all time fave band

others?

Green Day

Fall Out Boy

Blur

BABYMETAL

R.E.M.

The Jam

NOFX

Bowling For Soup

System Of A Down

Angels And Airwaves