Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Berzerker

Doom 3 and Doom 3 editor problems

Windows 10  16GB RAM 2GB video card No RTX

Big Doom fan here. I recently wanted to reinstall Doom3 and get the editor up and running also. After trial and error after error I finally got both to load. Although not correctly.

When I start the editor it's all messed up. It's either to large or to small, no mouse curser and if I close it and go back to the game itself now I keep having to reset the resolution in the game and turning back on full screen.

Just to let you know I also have Doom 3 ROE installed and working finally.

I have tried all the suggestions here: How to start the Doom 3 Editor - Doom 3 - Doomworld

But it just does the same thing over and over. I have the latest patch, I believe it's 1.3.1.

I just want to click and go. Also done some config edits on resolution, full screen and aspect ratio but nothing worked right.

Any help would be appreciated thanks Berzerker

Thanks for answering sluggard. I've used QeRadiant for Quake2 before and GtkRadiant for Quake3 and I liked how it worked. But I've been at this all day reading and, changing configs, this and that and still haven't got it to work. When I edit the editor config files it screws up the game files (Somehow?) and vice versa.

Also what other programs would someone actually need to get started?

Like with QeRadiant and Q2 you had pak explorer,BSP2MAP2 etc.

I'm going to download it now

Thanks Berzerker

I've always had problems running Doom 3 Radiant, and when it did decide to run, the gamma and such was all messed up and it would randomly crash.

Dark Radiant is good, but I actually prefer the Doom 3 editor now after setting up a batch file to run it properly, and it seems to be even more stable with dhewm3, though it still runs just fine with Doom3.exe

I don't know if this will be helpful, but it works for me and runs smoothly.

Doom3.exe +set fs_game base +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_brightness 0 +set r_gamma 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +vid_restart +editor

For RoE, replace "base" with "d3xp" and create a separate batch file or shortcut.

But Dark Radiant is also a very good alternative.

+set r_fullscreen 0, +set r_multiSamples 0

These commands are very important.

By what you described I would automatically think about making sure antialiasing is turned off while trying to run the editor.

Thanks Lippeth and Arl for your replies. I worked all day yesterday installing and setting up Q2, Q3, Q4 and D3 with editors. The Q4 editor works for some weird reason.

Now It's been about 20 years everyone since I tried my hand at map making (Never submitted anything for others to check out). I've tried my hand at Unreal Engine and can make lighting, and simple shapes and other beginner items. But the wiring things up is an enormous job. Character models, so many folders it's mind boggling.

I'm a little out out practice and trying to remember how things worked so if you see me asking dumb questions please look over it.

I'll give both your replies another run at the D3 editor.

Edit: I also noticed that the DarkRadiant mouse curser is like really small. I'm on a 65"  TV  and only sitting about 8 to 10 feet away and I have trouble finding the dang thing. I've looked in the settings and where ever I could but have found nothing to fix this.

If you have any ideas please let me know.

Thanks again everyone

Edited by Berzerker

There are 5 anti alias references in my Nvidia control panel (?) should they all be off ?

1. Antialiasing-FXAA is off

2. Antialiasing Gamma correction is on

3. Antialiasing - Mode is set to application controlled

4. Antialiasing - setting is set to application controlled

5. Antialiasing - Transparency is set to off

Ok the editor came up but ???

When trying to look at the icons (Tools) It's way small

It looks good with me snipping it but in real life you can't see the tools under the first row of tools. The ones below File, Edit, view...etc.

I0NcbUc.png

And I can resize everything but it comes up like this:

Notice you can't read the icons ?

KOIGMjQ.png

Edited by Berzerker

Mmmm, that seems too big of a resolution for editing, you should try lowering the res.

I did Arl but it just makes the viewing area smaller (?) Just black bars on the sides of the usable screen area. Kinda like wide screen mode but sideways or a tictok video. I'm guessing my video card doesn't like being told not to use the power it has. The games look great! I've always had bad luck with Win 10 and these older games. You have to remember I'm on a TV not a monitor. Haven't had as much time today as I did yesterday but I'll get back around to messing with it and see what I can come up with.

At least they're loading and I can go from there

Thanks all

Ok everyone I finally got it to show up on my TV in full screen but now I have no mouse. It's like it's invisible and the view screen is missing which I think I could fix if I had the mouse working....Any ideas

Here's a screen shot of what I got so far.

Just to let you know this didn't work for me: Doom3.exe +set fs_game base +set r_fullscreen 0 +set r_brightness 0 +set r_gamma 0 +set r_multiSamples 0 +vid_restart +editor

wLafrc8.png

Using a television (and a 65" no less) can be unpredictable with custom or scaled down resolutions. I've had some tvs that work great and others just refuse to display certain things properly. The only solution I can think of is to use a computer monitor, even a really cheap one from a thrift store may yield better results than a big television.

I found some info on stylesheet setups but I don't know if D3 has any in it's folders. I might want to clear things up your added settings behind the doom3 .exe did work and with it so does the mouse curser it's just I can't see the command icons.

I'll let you all know what I find out. Opening pak files to take a look.

strange thing is darkradiant opens just fine,

Thanks Lippeth

Edited by Berzerker

Ok, Ok so I'm stubborn. With that said I fixed the D3radiant by changing my resolution settings on my computer. Lippeth your allowed a "I told you so" here.

Didn't want to, but I did.

Screen shot:

nprjAtL.png

Never used this one and I want to know the best path (Folder destination) for the maps ? Should I place it in a folder inside D3 called maps to keep it separate from everything or place it in the Base folder named "My maps" or something or make a folder in D3 called Editor and place a folder called maps in it ?

I also noticed that when I check "Run game after QBSP3" it unchecks itself. Might be because there is no map path yet. Don't know....I'm asking ?

I know there's a way to lock the different windows but I can't find it in settings. I had to adjust all the window sizes myself because it won't load with them set like the Quake 2 editor did (?) But once set everything's Ok.

Thanks.

Can't find anything on the QBSP not staying checked online. Also I get an error when trying to run BSP.

Error: YZcUDzv.png

I have a room, a light and a player start. No leaks or anything I can see wrong with it.

That's not an error as far as I know, that just means you haven't placed any monsters in your map.

Maps should be placed in Doom 3\base\maps or Doom 3\d3xp\maps and can be put in sub folders from there.

I'm not a super duper expert but this is how I understand it all after spending some time with it this year and watching/reading info and a few tutorials.

After reading a little more I got the map to load by going in the game and starting it that way but I have to keep shutting down the editor to start the game. That's just going to slow things down. That's where I ended up putting them in the base/map folder.

I can't seem to get the "Run game after BSP" to stay checked to save my life. I've looked everywhere online.

If you have any thoughts on that one let me know.

Thanks again Lippeth

After running the bsp and confirming there are no errors, clicking on the far right button with the Doom logo will run the game, then you can type the path to your map in the console. I don't know if I would recommend having it automatically try to run the game after bsp anyway, just in case there are leaks and errors.

It was only a test room. As I said a hollow box, a light and a player start.

If it is set to run after BSP and it has a leak or error won't it just stop the BSP ?

It will, but it's just quicker to see that it didn't compile and fix problems while still in the editor instead of trying to compile the map with errors and then running the game, should errors be present. I suppose this was what made me prefer D3 editor to Dark Radiant, you don't have to run the game to compile the map at all.

But otherwise, the only info I can find on "Run game after QBSP3" is from this website and all it says is that it's obsolete.

It's been awhile since I've messed around in stock Doomed or Radiant but the last 2 shots you posted look pretty normal to me.

Yeah, Mr.Rocket but that was after days of trial and error. I can't understand why you would give something to use to anyone like this. Why didn't ID Software just ask do you want to install the editor when it was installing the game and have separate programs. Kinda like QeRadaint (?) I have QeRaiant and GtKRadiant running it Q2 and Q3 meaning I can open either and use it for that game. DarkRadiant the same thing,

I also found out that by pressing F2 you can swap between the game and editor without closing the game or editor and then starting the other and that if you type in: com_allowconsole 1 when the game is running you can pull the console down with only the ~ key. This will reset after you've closed the game but it beats having to hit Ctrl+Alt+~ everytime.

Edited by Berzerker

Seems like you got the editor properly working now, good job.

Regarding whatever "this could have been made better" moment you will have, know that this was a 2000' editor, for today standar it may seem it has a lot of unpolished areas (which it has), but back in the day it was very common to go out of our ways to make use of this kind of things that were out of the realm of the typical game enthusiast. That and the fact that the several editors bundled with the game wasn't added as an extra content for the game, it's more like a very cool bonus.

Agreed Arl. I still dabble in UE (Unreal Engine) from time to time but it would actually take a teacher and a class to learn it properly. All the tutorials I've ran across the people say "For beginners" but they aren't. They said use one of these or place one of these here but never telling you why or what that is or does. It's like they expect you to know all 10,000 commands and configurations of that entity. I understand that it's way more powerful than a Doom or Quake editor and that it doesn't just do (X) amount of games but the learning curve is wacked.

Yeah, but once you get the hand of it...  ...you'll make amazing things ma boi, you'll make this world beautiful.

So you like UE too ? My problem with it is sometimes you have to use a certain version of it to get what the tutorial is saying to work. I was using the latest version and tried one thing the person was trying to teach and come to find out it didn't work that way in my version, they had changed something. So now if I wanted that to work I needed to go back and install that version unlike the D3 editor. So many versions ?

If you learn something in one version you might have to change and remember that change only in that version. It's confusing.

Watching tutorials on it now to refresh my memory and all the new things they've added since QeRadiant. It's been about 20 years since I fooled around in it.

I even went to my old back room closet and dug out my old downloaded and printed tutorials that are in a box that's about 10 inches high and reading through them.

They're for Q2/Q3 but some of the things still apply. I'm trying to get use to where are the new drop down menus are and how to activate them. I just learned that "J" pulls up the light entity...I was wondering where that was ?

First I want to learn how all the new stuff (To me) works and where it's at and how to use it with all the bells and whistles. D3 editor is not like QeRadiant.

There sure aren't many basic starter tutorials out on the web. With the old ones there were pages after pages. I keep getting lead around in circles. I got it set up, I'm kinda remembering how to work things but a lot has changed. I found one tutorial on adding a door code to a door. Where are all the tutorials on lighting, entity inspectors ? You know the usual from start to finish and everything in between ?