Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
leejacksonaudio

Earworm Thread - What Song Is Stuck In Your Head?

Fun fact. I never listen to AC/DC. I was just singing thunderstruck near my phone and "coincidentally" it was the first video on my youtube feed.

After yelling a bunch of gibberish next...

New album dropped, so I naturally listened to the whole thing, left likes, and picked on a song that caught me easily with those "feels" guitar riffs here. 

This song has been stuck in my head for a while, specifically the Chorus. Not that I'm complaining though :P

3 minutes ago, leejacksonaudio said:

Ah, Pepper. The song they played on my radio (93.3) for so long that I got it stuck in my head too.

6 hours ago, N1ck said:

Why is Funkytown stuck in my head.

Please don't take me there.

Anyway, right now it's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC/DC. It's a decent, catchy song, and AC/DC is a very listenable band, so it's better than quite a few other songs I've had stuck in my head.

But it got stuck there because I'm an assistant manager now, and I'm usually stuck at the register while my coworkers get the fun jobs. Like stocking, and not dealing with people. Lucky fuckers.

So now I control the radio. It was on a radio station that played "Today's hottest music". One of the first things I did was change it to the classic rock station.

I can't believe how old I am that Nirvana, Green Day, Beck, and Radiohead are now classic rock. Still have the bands from the 60's through 90's playing, but damn. Hearing the music I grew up with is now classic hits home.

It's still better than the crap that was on the other station.

22 minutes ago, Jello said:

So now I control the radio. It was on a radio station that played "Today's hottest music". One of the first things I did was change it to the classic rock station.

Good show. Running my own shop I have the same power. No crappy pop or boring Christmas songs at my place.

I remember an old shelf-stacking job at a supermarket when I was 19. The manager's choice of music was the most random, weird thing. Really obscure world music, even opera at one point. I recognised almost nothing. Much of it wasn't even in English. There was one song that was maybe African in origin where the singer randomly held a note for so long it was like someone falling off a cliff in a cartoon.

"Eeeeeeeeeeeeeee...."
*me checks watch*
"Eeeeeee......."

In the mornings they let me wear a walkman to drown out the madness but on the days where I worked during the, well, day, I couldn't do that. Sadly the bosses were not impressed by my proposal that I keep the walkman on and have a sign on my back saying "Tap shoulder for service".

28 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

Good show. Running my own shop I have the same power. No crappy pop or boring Christmas songs at my place.

Good on you. If I have the power to change the music that I and the other employees have to listen to for eight to ten hours a day, then I will do so. So far nobody has complained. Well, and if you're in the back, feel free to put "one" earbud in and listen to your own music. But if I have to yell and you don't hear me because you have both in. Well, I understand, I love zoning out and listening to music and just doing my job as much as the next person; just keep one ear open so you can hear when people are talking to you. 

But yeah, I hope corporate doesn't force Christmas music on us. Because it won't happen. I've put up with enough of that shit in other jobs, I know how badly employees despise it. Probably just keep it on the local classic rock station, and if someone from corporate does show up "Oh, I don't know how that happened! I'll change it back. Until you leave." Because people hate Christmas music, especially when they have to deal with it for eight to ten hours a day. That's the kind of thing that can make a person snap.

On 9/22/2021 at 10:15 PM, Jello said:

Does anyone here actually enjoy Christmas music? If you've ever worked retail during the "Holiday Season" I'm sure you hate it. Two months of the same twelve songs covered by different people.

But does anyone on Doomworld actually enjoy it? Do you feel like it gets you in the Holiday Spirit? I can think of one relative that possibly likes it, but I don't count her opinion because of reasons. All of the rest of my relatives, my friends, past coworkers, none of them actually likes Christmas music. My Grandparents couldn't stand it, never in either of their households was Christmas music ever played. My Great-Grandparents didn't like it. It is just obnoxious and irritating. Even before I worked any retail jobs I hated going to stores and having Santa Baby, White Christmas, or Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer blasting in my ears. And the hot mess that is "Baby It's Cold Outside". So why the Hell do stores play it for two damn months?

Okay, tangent/rant over.

*meekly raises hand*

Only during the Christmas season though (Friday after Thanksgiving to December 25th YOUHEARMERETAILERS); otherwise, fuck that noise any other time of the year.

I don't know why I look forward to listening to that corny schlock during the season. I guess part of it is that it does remind me of past Christmases, even though I didn't listen to the music back then. Another part is that I listen to it on a stream with headphones and can mute it at any time. I sympathize with the retail people and others who have this shit forced upon them without giving other options. You're a good guy for not doing that to your people.

I despise holiday creep. I get why retailers have the stuff out so early, but having it on my mind for a while burns me out on the holiday and makes it into something to endure rather than enjoy. Christmas is the original and by far the worst offender, and this shit has already spread to other holidays/seasons. Before Christmas is done, they're already selling V-Day cards. Before the red, white and pink are put in the trash, secular bunnies and chicks hail the merchandise onslaught for Respawning Jesus day. The week after school lets out, it's back-to-school sales. I usually make an exception for Halloween stuff in September, but this year they started mid-August. Jeez, let us have a breather so that it doesn't blur together into SummerWeenGivingXmas.

1 hour ago, Chow Yun Thin said:

I despise holiday creep. I get why retailers have the stuff out so early, but having it on my mind for a while burns me out on the holiday and makes it into something to endure rather than enjoy. Christmas is the original and by far the worst offender, and this shit has already spread to other holidays/seasons. Before Christmas is done, they're already selling V-Day cards. Before the red, white and pink are put in the trash, secular bunnies and chicks hail the merchandise onslaught for Respawning Jesus day. The week after school lets out, it's back-to-school sales. I usually make an exception for Halloween stuff in September, but this year they started mid-August. Jeez, let us have a breather so that it doesn't blur together into SummerWeenGivingXmas.

We just got a shitload of Christmas shit on the truck today. The back to school and Halloween shit is still on the seasonal shelf space. There's no room in the back. Where do you propose I put this? It's not going up my ass. If you have room to hide it in your ass, be my guest.

As for Halloween, it's just as bad. A place that I used to work at started putting it out at the beginning of August. September, I'm okay with. But the maximum distance between an actual Holiday, and Holiday merchandising should be one and half to two months ahead of said Holiday. On punishment of death.

Oh, and to stay on topic, today it's All Along the Watchtower, and Black Betty, they keep bouncing around. 

And Black Betty always reminds me of Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. And the fond memory of me as a seventeen year old living with my Dad for the first time since I was three (Mom couldn't handle me, so I went to live with him).

I told him about the movie and wanted him to see it. Called around, nobody had it in town, nobody knew what it was. Called my old city, and one place had a copy. We drove there, 120 miles round trip, so that we could watch it together, along with my ten year old step brother. They both loved it, and it was a bonding experience. So whenever I hear Black Betty, it hits me in my feels.

And also, watch Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. Yeah it has a 13% on Rotten Tomatoes, but sometimes that's a good indicator for a movie. It's bad, but it was supposed to be bad, and it excels at being bad.

Edited by Jello

Lately, I've been unironically enjoying Eurobeat.
It's another song from the author of Deja Vu.
Aside from memes Beat of the Rising Sun is my personal favourite.

Played this at my school almost every day. This one's a rarity as I can't seem to find a studio version for it.