Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bri0che

Community Project : Doom II but the start and the exit are reversed

Wanted to say :

You can share your map progression here with screenshots and talk about the work of each other if you want :)

just make a "spoil" tag for peoples who don't want to be spoiled the final result

i was interested in giving this a shot, then i read the rule about "you have to make the map from scratch" and my interest ratio dropped back to 0 lol, gl to everyone else participating though

29 minutes ago, Super Mighty G said:

I have an idea for MAP08. I may post something even if it isn't implemented.

I project to make a post for the next maps after this own project, so keep it :)

Here's a demo of WRONGWAY MAP02. I got a few of the things unstuck and made it so that the blue key opens the exit lift and the red key opens the gates so that the exit can be accessed. A few changes have been made, but I'm pretty happy with the way this looks.

WRONG02 alpha.zip

12 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

Here's a demo of WRONGWAY MAP02. I got a few of the things unstuck and made it so that the blue key opens the exit lift and the red key opens the gates so that the exit can be accessed. A few changes have been made, but I'm pretty happy with the way this looks.

WRONG02 alpha.zip

it look really good !

I have a question: By reversing the maps, do I need to reverse the order in which the player visits the rooms too? Like change things about the map to add access points to parts of the map that normally wouldn't be access until later and lock off earlier sections of the map?

3 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

I have a question: By reversing the maps, do I need to reverse the order in which the player visits the rooms too? Like change things about the map to add access points to parts of the map that normally wouldn't be access until later and lock off earlier sections of the map?

Only if this is not too inconsistent in interest. Just do it as you feel it, then just test the idea by playing it and see if this is not too weird to the player.

Though, the idea is to reverse as much as possible the whole map. Depending of the design, this would be more or less possible.

Short map update (No screenshots):

Spoiler

I've decided to take some creative liberties with the map. Just simply reversing the locations of the entry and the exit and changing the order of the keys seemed to simple so I'm trying to basically make the entire progression of the map go in reverse. This to some extent translates over to the monster placement as well. I am also tweaking textures a bit to make things look cleaner but I'm still doing everything to make sure that the rooms are still recognizable as the originals.

1 hour ago, Zulk RS said:

Short map update (No screenshots):

Hide contents

I've decided to take some creative liberties with the map. Just simply reversing the locations of the entry and the exit and changing the order of the keys seemed to simple so I'm trying to basically make the entire progression of the map go in reverse. This to some extent translates over to the monster placement as well. I am also tweaking textures a bit to make things look cleaner but I'm still doing everything to make sure that the rooms are still recognizable as the originals.

After what you said, it seems promising to me :p

6 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

Quick question: What difficulty settings should be implemented?

As you want, just make sure the map is UV by default.

Just now, Briøche said:

just make sure the map is UV by default.

I mean, If you don't put the difficulty feature I will implement it myself. Of cours as this is a community project the teamwork is appropriate, I encourage you to do it yourself so.

I won't edit your map in any way but to implement the difficulty settings, or maybe just to correct the bugs or to put missing things.

I forgot that rule, sorry. It count for you all too.

@xdude_gamer

@Hitboi

@mxbobbie49

@ScrappyMcDoogerton

@Engired

1 minute ago, Briøche said:

I mean, If you don't put the difficulty feature I will implement it myself. Of cours as this is a community project the teamwork is appropriate, I encourage you to do it yourself so.

I won't edit your map in any way but to implement the difficulty settings, or maybe just to correct the bugs or to put missing things.

I forgot that rule, sorry. It count for you all too.

@xdude_gamer

@Hitboi

@mxbobbie49

@ScrappyMcDoogerton

@Engired

so like custom difficulty names, but the same difficulties in general? mildly confused :(

3 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

so like custom difficulty names, but the same difficulties in general? mildly confused :(

Put every monsters as if you were mapping on Ultra-Violence difficulty only

34 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

At the expense of all items and enemies being deaf, we now have UV-only things. On every difficulty except for UV and NM, there is no "Things" on the map at all :)

WRONG02 UV only.zip

Though I have a submission for you :

Actually you totaly respected the idea of the concept but I realized that you copied and pasted the original map,

I would not have had a problem with that at all, but unfortunately it could be a problem for some people since it is illegal.

I would advise you to recreate the map from scratch with the direct model of the original map as this is the deal of the project.
You have 1 month and possibly 7 more days to do it, so don't worry about the quality, you'll make it in time.

You still can keep the ideas of your initial work, what i've seen so far is good :p you will not have lost anything this way

Edited by Briøche

Just now, Briøche said:

I would advise you to recreate the card from scratch with the direct model of the original map as this is the deal of the project.

This is actually my fault, the rule list didn't had this point at the base.

You can absolutely cancel your participation if this is a problem for you

On 9/23/2021 at 7:11 PM, Engired said:

Can I do map07? It'll be simple but interesting

Dead simple, if you will!

1 minute ago, Zulk RS said:

What is the "Card"?

map* my bad xD

As a french, we say "carte" for "map" and I mixed up the two words

4 minutes ago, Briøche said:

This is actually my fault, the rule list didn't had this point at the base.

You can absolutely cancel your participation if this is a problem for you

But wait, it's not illegal. It's just adapting the original game. If you have a legal copy of Doom 2, this is perfectly fine... right?

Just now, xdude_gamer said:

But wait, it's not illegal. It's just adapting the original game. If you have a legal copy of Doom 2, this is perfectly fine... right?

I don't know that much, it look like not much peoples don't really know the final law verdict about that.

But I guess IdSoftware don't care at all about that as already said above.

Still, I don't think it's worth doing it anyway as it doesn't allow you much creativity

1 minute ago, Briøche said:

I don't know that much, it look like not much peoples don't really know the final law verdict about that.

But I guess IdSoftware don't care at all about that as already said above.

Still, I don't think it's worth doing it anyway as it doesn't allow you much creativity

I'll make a few changes, in that case. But I'm not very good at mapping, so I'm not sure what I can do :(

Just now, xdude_gamer said:

I'll make a few changes, in that case :)

It's fine for me if you do that :)