Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bri0che

Community Project : Doom II but the start and the exit are reversed

@xdude_gamer Do not copy paste MAP02 from the DOOM2 IWAD and then make adjustments to it. You may note the exact construction of the original, and build your new map exactly the same as the other, but every line in your map must be constructed by you. It's not that hard guys I'm already almost finished with my map.

2 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

@xdude_gamer Do not copy paste MAP02 from the DOOM2 IWAD and then make adjustments to it. You may note the exact construction of the original, and build your new map exactly the same as the other, but every line in your map must be constructed by you. It's not that hard guys I'm already almost finished with my map.

Well then I might have to tap out on that one. I suck at map design and would only make a mess. I'll leave it to the pros.

6 minutes ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

It's better I suppose, indeed I was unsure about all of this, but I though he might do it.

3 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

Well then I might have to tap out on that one. I suck at map design and would only make a mess. I'll leave it to the pros.

I'm sorry that you have to leave us, maybe you'll have other opportunities to shine ;)

1 minute ago, Briøche said:

It's better I suppose, indeed I was unsure about all of this, but I though he might do it.

I'm sorry that you have to leave us, maybe you'll have other opportunities to shine ;)

If there custom music I might have your back there ;)

1 minute ago, xdude_gamer said:

If there custom music I might have your back there ;)

I saw you had interest in music yeah, I might call you for future projects :p

Just now, Briøche said:

I saw you had interest in music yeah, I might call you for future projects :p

That'd be cool. I'll play-test a lot of these maps and support all the people still, just won't make any maps, if that's fine with you.

On 9/23/2021 at 4:44 PM, Briøche said:

image.png.f69f4e3de5518c1c1072de577c9f288e.png

image.png.d0a42291d26d2c14b57611425d809923.png

How will this work for the final level Icon of Sin, since there is no exit for it?

6 hours ago, Master O said:

How will this work for the final level Icon of Sin, since there is no exit for it?

At this stage we are far from completing the 32 maps. But I already project to have specific rules for Icon of Sin

Finished MAP04. I implemented difficulty settings and also Co-op starts. However I didn't add any co-op monsters nor did I add Deathmatch starts because I my experience with Co-op and Deathmatch is very limited. So... if all the other maps have co-op monsters and Deathmatch stuff, you might want to edit my map to have those as well.

My own thoughts about the map (no screenshots. Possible minor spoilers):

Spoiler

Here's the map. Again took a bunch of creative liberties but I feel like it does do the job of MAP04 but in reverse well and also adds a somewhat fresher experience for players as I'm assuming they don't JUST want map 04 with the start and exit rooms switched. I tried to keep the difficulty of the map at Vanilla Doom 2 level though I think my map is slightly more difficult than standard MAP04.

<Removed. See next post>

Small warning: I tested this in Zandronum and even though I checked everything thoroughly and mapped in vanilla Doom 2 format, I'm somewhat worried that I'd overlook something that breaks the map and that I didn't catch during testing because Zandronum fixes that problem or something. I'm 95% sure I didn't make any mistakes like that but I'm still kinda worried.

Edited by Zulk RS : Possible Spoilers.

1 hour ago, Zulk RS said:

Finished MAP04. I implemented difficulty settings and also Co-op starts. However I didn't add any co-op monsters nor did I add Deathmatch starts because I my experience with Co-op and Deathmatch is very limited. So... if all the other maps have co-op monsters and Deathmatch stuff, you might want to edit my map to have those as well.

My own thoughts about the map (no screenshots. Possible minor spoilers):

Reveal hidden contents

Here's the map. Again took a bunch of creative liberties but I feel like it does do the job of MAP04 but in reverse well and also adds a somewhat fresher experience for players as I'm assuming they don't JUST want map 04 with the start and exit rooms switched. I tried to keep the difficulty of the map at Vanilla Doom 2 level though I think my map is slightly more difficult than standard MAP04.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/21hz8rgqhpo82gb/sucoF_ehT.wad/file

Small warning: I tested this in Zandronum and even though I checked everything thoroughly and mapped in vanilla Doom 2 format, I'm somewhat worried that I'd overlook something that breaks the map and that I didn't catch during testing because Zandronum fixes that problem or something. I'm 95% sure I didn't make any mistakes like that but I'm still kinda worried.

I tested your map, and this is absolutely the kind of map I had in mind when I was thinking about this project ! Well done man :)

Though the BFG secret was a bit too much, not saying it's a bad thing, but I think a plasma gun would have been a more reasonable choice

The name of your WAD is well done btw haha

Edited by Briøche

I maybe remembering wrong but wasn't a BFG a weapon in a secret you could have got in the standard MAP04? I mean behind the crates? or is my mind playing tricks on me again.

HA! I KNEW I MESSED UP A TAG SOMEWHERE. Also I noticed that some of the co-op only stuff made me confused. I'm doing a quick fix on the map.

Fixed up the map a bit. Also changed around some lighting to make it look closer to the original. First door should no longer be stuck... I hope. Map is much harder now because I removed a bunch of stuff like the Soulsphere, the Mega Armor and BFG. Added a bit more ammo though.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zks23cpaap4z48h/sucoF_ehT.wad/file

EDIT: Link updated

Edited by Zulk RS

I maybe remembering wrong but wasn't a BFG a weapon in a secret you could have got in the standard MAP04? I mean behind the crates? or is my mind playing tricks on me again.

Only for multiplayer, but the basic solo playing don't have any BFG

30 minutes ago, Zulk RS said:

Fixed up the map a bit. Also changed around some lighting to make it look closer to the original. First door should no longer be stuck... I hope. Map is much harder now because I removed a bunch of stuff like the Soulsphere, the Mega Armor and BFG. Added a bit more ammo though.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nvzzz9guuu1hhy7/sucoF_ehT.wad/file

It's even better :)

HA! I KNEW I MESSED UP A TAG SOMEWHERE. Also I noticed that some of the co-op only stuff made me confused. I'm doing a quick fix on the map.

Yeah, indeed :)

@Zulk RS

I was wondering... As you did a great job with MAP04 and no one has replied to retake MAP02 at this time I can confide you this second slot, but only if you want, just tell me if it interest you

7 hours ago, Briøche said:

I was wondering... As you did a great job with MAP04 and no one has replied to retake MAP02 at this time I can confide you this second slot, but only if you want, just tell me if it interest you

I could give it a try. However I think @M4rsh would like MAP02.

11 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/nvzzz9guuu1hhy7/sucoF_ehT.wad/file

I still can’t open the first door.

17 minutes ago, ducon said:

I still can’t open the first door.

Okay I went back to see what the problem was. Turns out Vanilla Doom has a bug that if you have two line actions too close to each other, they mess with how each one works. I knew about this bug but since I usually only map for ZDoom, I didn't have any idea as to how close is too close. Well apparently, 16 units is too close. A line activating a crusher was messing with the door. I moved that line back now and it should work. I updated both the previous post with the more recent link and I'm also including the link here. The map SHOULD work now on something like Crispy Doom and thus should also work on PrBoom... I think. Let me know if the door or something else in the map doesn't work.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/zks23cpaap4z48h/sucoF_ehT.wad/file

Ok, I did some minor fixes such as texture alignment, entity displacement, and gameplay adjustment.

The major tweak is that I changed the way the rocket launcher secret is opened,

No more W1 exit level, you now can step down outdoor and have to exit via the door.

Difficulty settings are now implemented !

https://www.mediafire.com/file/lqchjaa7mvetkwk/yawyrtnE.wad/file

9 minutes ago, Briøche said:

Ok, I did some minor fixes such as texture alignment, entity displacement, and gameplay adjustment.

The major tweak is that I changed the way the rocket launcher secret is opened,

No more W1 exit level, you now can step down outdoor and have to exit via the door.

Difficulty settings are now implemented !

Just now played your map. I actually have no idea how the Rocket Launcher secret was opened. I just stumbled my way to opening it. I probably pressed a wall or something. I was definitely not expecting the Door Exit though. Is that like a theme in this map set? It also made me think of maybe some kind of continuous experience more akin to a wad that has a continuous adventure like Ancient Aliens or Going Down. Difficulty seemed easier than normal MAP01 but I think that's because I got the shotgun secret as early as I could manage and in normal MAP01, you're basically forced to pistol half the map to death. It was enjoyable shotgunning things though. Anyway, good map overall. The only real criticism I would have is that maybe make some areas a bit darker to create more of a contrast in lighting.

2 hours ago, Zulk RS said:

Just now played your map. I actually have no idea how the Rocket Launcher secret was opened. I just stumbled my way to opening it. I probably pressed a wall or something. I was definitely not expecting the Door Exit though. Is that like a theme in this map set? It also made me think of maybe some kind of continuous experience more akin to a wad that has a continuous adventure like Ancient Aliens or Going Down. Difficulty seemed easier than normal MAP01 but I think that's because I got the shotgun secret as early as I could manage and in normal MAP01, you're basically forced to pistol half the map to death. It was enjoyable shotgunning things though. Anyway, good map overall. The only real criticism I would have is that maybe make some areas a bit darker to create more of a contrast in lighting.

I've remade the rocket launcher secret for better interstanding of when you have opened it.

There is no map theme at all, the door exit is just a thing I impemented to connect the fact that you are going "outdoor" and then this door go down to the underhalls, I just took liberty to add a little realistic side just to give a fun counterpart of being able to get out of the barriers of this area which is originally just an outdoor sector of the start of the map

I think yes, the shotgun is given a bit too early, I first gave the player no additionnal shotgun ammo compared to the original, I had the idea to just swap the shotgun and the armor but I think I'll just leave it like that.

Some rooms are now a bit darker because it's true that I'm too afraid of making them too dark sometimes

(re-edit : changed the end to better understand the end door is an exit as now there is an "EXITSTONE" wall above and a glow effect)

Edited by Briøche

Reminds me of the first two maps of Duke Nukem 3D: Nuclear Winter. Basically it starts you at the end of map 2 and you have to go back to the start of map 1 (including using a jet pack to climb back up the ventilation shaft you drop down from in the original game). Could be fun if likewise the map order was also reversed. Doom II part 2: the trek back home.

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

Reminds me of the first two maps of Duke Nukem 3D: Nuclear Winter. Basically it starts you at the end of map 2 and you have to go back to the start of map 1 (including using a jet pack to climb back up the ventilation shaft you drop down from in the original game). Could be fun if likewise the map order was also reversed. Doom II part 2: the trek back home.

It's a true idea. Though I think the difficulty curve would be lesser this way (or maybe interchange the difficulty curve)

52 minutes ago, Briøche said:

I've remade the rocket launcher secret for better interstanding of when you have opened it.

There is no map theme at all, the door exit is just a thing I impemented to connect the fact that you are going "outdoor" and then this door go down to the underhalls, I just took liberty to add a little realistic side just to give a fun counterpart of being able to get out of the barriers of this area which is originally just an outdoor sector of the start of the map

I think yes, the shotgun is given a bit too early, I first gave the player no additionnal shotgun ammo compared to the original, I had the idea to just swap the shotgun and the armor but I think I'll just leave it like that.

Some rooms are now a bit darker because it's true that I'm too afraid of making them too dark sometimes

(re-edit : changed the end to better understand the end door is an exit as now there is an "EXITSTONE" wall above and a glow effect)

Just played this new version of the map. Definite improvement over the previous version. Liked it.