Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nights

Brutal Doom: Black Edition

I was thinking back on on all of the Doom mods I've played, and one that always comes to mind for me no matter what is Brutal Doom Black Edition. I never had a good set up enough to actually run the mod, I only just a got a competent pc for my b day just a few weeks ago, so I played the mod on the computers we had at school.

But I was wondering: Is the mod even worth revisiting? Or should I play something like Project Brutality?

22 minutes ago, Kanzen said:

But I was wondering: Is the mod even worth revisiting? Or should I play something like Project Brutality?

Why do you need someone else to tell you how you should do this thing you do for recreational purposes that won't mean any harm to anybody else, ever, no matter how you do it..?

Play what you think you think is fun, and decide for yourself if it's worth revisiting...

Project brutality turned my last computer into a small star that is dense enough to have a gravitational pull and therefor have a mini solar system because of how hard the mod is to run.  If you have the ability to run black edition you should if you think you will enjoy it.

As trying the mods for yourself is unlikely to result in serious injury or death to yourself, pets, and family members then I am a bit confused as to why you simply do not just do that? Worst case scenario it doesn't work. Neither will result in SCE (Spontaneous Computer Explosion).

1 hour ago, Nine Inch Heels said:

Why do you need someone else to tell you how you should do this thing you do for recreational purposes that won't mean any harm to anybody else, ever, no matter how you do it..?

Play what you think you think is fun, and decide for yourself if it's worth revisiting...

I don't "need" someone to tell me what to play. I'm just asking if the mod is worth playing again. I remember enjoying it when I first played it, but I don't remember much of it since it was at least 2 years ago

25 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

What specs are we talking about here?

Just some entry level stuff

Intel Core i5 7th gen

AMD Radeon 550

16 gigs of ram

3 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

As trying the mods for yourself is unlikely to result in serious injury or death to yourself, pets, and family members then I am a bit confused as to why you simply do not just do that? Worst case scenario it doesn't work. Neither will result in SCE (Spontaneous Computer Explosion).

I mean, I'm still gonna try it. I was just asking for some opinions

FYI, forum etiquette dictates that you should include all quote-replies in one post if possible rather than posting several times in a row.

2 hours ago, Kanzen said:

I never had a good set up enough to actually run the mod, I only just a got a competent pc for my b day just a few weeks ago

That's really all the incentive you need to just run it and see what happens and decide from there.

17 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

FYI, forum etiquette dictates that you should include all quote-replies in one post if possible rather than posting several times in a row.

oops, my bad

2 hours ago, Kanzen said:

I don't "need" someone to tell me what to play. I'm just asking if the mod is worth playing again.

Well then, in that case, then no! Thanks for introducing this loophole. You can now go and play it anyway!

5 hours ago, Kanzen said:

Dude, why are you even asking? If you love it, ofc it's worth revisiting it. It's your choice, no one tells you what to do. It's your game. Go have fun

4 hours ago, Kanzen said:

I don't "need" someone to tell me what to play. I'm just asking if the mod is worth playing again. I remember enjoying it when I first played it, but I don't remember much of it since it was at least 2 years ago

Why dont you just... try it?

I get the gist of what you try to say (Basically: What are people's impressions of this?) but you should try it yourself first and see what the impression is.

Also, Project Brutality is notorious for breaking, so in the mean time, try some other mods?

Speaking in general i find that most new members coming to Classic Doom pretty much always ask questions/have problems for two mods:

• Brutal Doom (and its unofficial variants)
  • Project Brutality

Doom mods are more than just these two.

4 hours ago, Kanzen said:

I mean, I'm still gonna try it. I was just asking for some opinions

Try it first and then see if your impression is similar to others online.

4 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

That's really all the incentive you need to just run it and see what happens and decide from there.

Pretty much. Like i understand you want to hear impressions after you played the thing yourself but if you are going to play it anyway... why ask for impressions beforehand? Just play it.

Else what answer should there be given? ''Its great, play it''? You were going to play it anyway, so... or ''Its not great, refrain''? Then the follow up would be ''But why?'' which would defeat the purpose of your intent, which was that you were going to play it anyway.

Writing this out is rather much. I feel the decisionmaking shouldn't be the same way. Just play it, @Kanzen. No worries there!

As a small aside, my dual core w/hyperthreading with an e1200 graphics card( dont feel bad or good if you heard of it, its basically a AMD Radeon that had 528mb in graphics on a 2014 laptop) can handle Project Brutality 3.0 . The secret is to turn off dynamic lights, kill ambient occlusion, set shadowmap to none or low, set decals low on the scale and turn off fog. After that Go turn your Resolution to Lowest Possible and slide that slider all the way left to 0.25. Why? Because you Resize Models toggled to ON by default so that graphic quality don't mean squat and you are literally losing nothing because IT IS DOOM. Then go turn on Precache Graphics.  Now you can play Project Brutality 3 on a Dual Core potato and smoothly. 

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Doom mods are more than just these two.

I recommend Complex Doom (without the insane addons) and Doom Hack :D

On 11/16/2022 at 8:59 PM, Summer Deep said:

Playing Episode 2 of the original Doom, using Brutal Doom Black Edition (v3.36). This mod is impressive in some ways, but enjoyment is being severely curtailed by the unbalanced and overpowered melee attacks. The monsters can move ridiculously quickly and it's often impossible to recover from a mauling. Just try entering the crusher room in Halls Of The Damned for instance.

I'd say that the difficulty level I'm playing on (only the third of eleven) is probably at least three times harder than Ultra Violence in the regular game. How on earth is one supposed to survive at level 11 (or even level 7), I wonder?

In v3.37 update I added new special game mode "Unbreakable" (Fatum options). This game mode increases player's defense against enemy attacks and environments in game. Depending on the selected value (Weak, Medium, Strong) the game will become easier. Will be useful for players who stuck in some hardcore level or certain crazy place. This game mode can be used at any time of the current game. Even if cheats are not activated in console (sv_cheats 0).

In v3.37 update most difficulties has been reworked to make them more diverse and brings new challenges.Not only "more damage". 

I finished The Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 on hardest difficulty "Imminent Doom". :) I stopped on TNT Evilution in last year.