• Classical
    • Techno
    • R & B
    • Jazz
    • Soft Rock
    • Hip Hop

Imp said:

What music is the best?

are you looking for a flame war or just retarded?

2 problems with this poll:
1. You've got so few genres listed it's not even funny.
2. There's no such thing as the "best music".

If your question was something like, "Which is best for playing Doom", then maybe this could have been an interesting discussion. But you fail it.

Hmmm, this depends on the year(decade) for music. Personally I prefer Top 40 rock from the 70's and 80's. Uh, most american. I think for now I only know of one canadian band.

Anything heavy. It could have electronics attached to it, there could be women singing, just as long as it blasts my ears and its not mellow.

Jazz, classical, rock, metal. This poll really would have made more sense if you could make multiple choices.

Rock most of the time, though I'm not averse to metal every now and then.

A wide range of metal (ie NIN, Pantera, M.Manson, Type O Negative, Slipknot and KMFDM to name but a few).

Classical. I mean, come on, those composer folk worked 10 times as hard at what they did than all of those other genres averaged out. Their work is unmistakably brilliant, and is really the only kind of music that makes you sit there and think "How the heck did they do that??"

Ahem, of course, I don't really listen to music.

Classical is the most technically brilliant, but I'm afraid I much prefer rock/indie and metal :)

Well, techno is there, but drum&bass, garage and practically all other forms of dance are absent.

Maybe more general options like 'rock', 'indie', 'dance', 'hip hop/r&b', 'pop', 'metal', 'classical', 'jazz', 'country' and so on would have been better.

Yeah, I noticed it has Hip Hop, Rap AND R&B. I take it that this is the kind of music Imp is inclined towards :)

PUNK RAWK.

And modern songwriters like Brett Guerwitz and David King pour their hearts and souls into the songs they write.

AndrewB said:

Classical. I mean, come on, those composer folk worked 10 times as hard at what they did than all of those other genres averaged out. Their work is unmistakably brilliant, and is really the only kind of music that makes you sit there and think "How the heck did they do that??"

ill agree with you in that its amazing, though they had a lot more free time and no one was really in music for the money back then, so you had to love it. however, steve vai (instrumental rock guitarist) nearly killed himself before recording "for the love of god." he didnt eat or sleep or play guitar for many days beforehand. when he picked it up to record his fingers were bleeding and he looked like he was near death. the result was one of the most emotional compositions ive heard on guitar. dont tell me that there is no hard work that goes into modern music as it just reaffirms your statement that you have not exposed yourself to enough of it.

I prefer rock but also metal is awesome. lol, it will be funny to play doom while listeninng jazz.

That is one story. Not to say that amazing feats of human determination don't still happen, but music-wise, it seems a lot more common in the classical music age. How did Beethoven write all of those symphonies and sonatas after he went deaf? How did all of them write perfectly-balanced melodic and harmonic symphonies without being able to actually hear how it sounds as they wrote it?

Not eating or drinking for days and bleeding through the fingers to write a song is impressive. Korn, System of a Down, Eminem, Britney, and all of the other ultra-popular figures? There's no fair comparison.

every genre has it's shit and it's gold. and many many good bands cannot be categorized as being one basic 'genre'. i refuse to pick a favorite.

Spike said:

A wide range of metal (ie NIN, Pantera, M.Manson, Type O Negative, Slipknot and KMFDM to name but a few).

neither NIN nor KMFDM is metal.

AndrewB said:

apparently not, because many many bands and musicians recording today put the best effort they can spare into their sound, and some go far beyond that, as jon's example. look a little further than mtv before you make assumptions about the entire modern musical world please.

Mmm, I've never watched MTV, but it is fair to judge what is popular by what is talked about the most. The aforementioned figures are a few of what are talked about the most. None of them come close to delivering the sense of "How the heck do they do that??" as compared to the great classical composers.

So yes, my opinion is that the classical music era was a lot more impressive and skillful than the modern area. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

AndrewB said:

Mmm, I've never watched MTV,

The one channel on cable that has nothing to do with music.

I think this says something about my musical taste (part of it):

Ralf Hütter of the legendary group Kraftwerk once said in an interview...
Silence is important because humans are permanently threatened by waste of music. That is why we demand days of silence. Sometimes we [Kraftwerk] walk around with pincers to cut the loudspeaker cables. If we stop the permanent molesting of music, we get the chance to listen to genuine sounds. How do tools sound, doors, clocks, cars, bikes...

To tell you the truth, I couldn't really give a damn. But since I'm already replying to this thread, I'd say none of them. It depends on the person's taste and/or beliefs.

I have to agree with Assmaster. There is no 'best' type of music, it all comes down to personal opinion.

So I vote Metal as my favourite type of music, though not necissarily the 'best' music ;)