Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Percy T is right. On top of that, finding common interests helps. Stuff like guitar classes, chess clubs, who knows, possibilities are endless.

If you're talking about making friends here, it's as simple as messaging someone. Nobody will think you're weird. If you see someone who makes posts that are about things you're interested in, or you just like them in general, shoot them a message. If they can't handle someone asking to be friends, they probably aren't worth talking to anyway.

It is entirely possible to make actual friends here, not just acquaintances to talk to about DOOM. Have some faith buddy. Be yourself and everything will naturally fall into place. 

Are you struggling to make friends on DW or in real life? You should probably specify.

There's honestly no definitive answer to that question, though this is my advice to making friends.

You need to find people who share similar interests or passions to you. You can't immediately just find and make friendships. You need to forge friendships over time, and maintain them. Building and maintaining strong friendships takes time and effort from both sides. You need to open up to them and share your thoughts and feelings with them clearly, and you must support them in difficult times, and they must do the same for you.

Oh, and you need to try talk to people. A lot. 

Edited by Silent Wolf

Work, work, work. As others have pointed out I have no definitive answer but will still try to be helpful. (or more precisely I'm just sharing my experience) Actually I just want to reiterate Silen Wolf's point. Friendship is not something you can work on until it finishes and you are done. Be around people, be social, help others and don't be afraid to ask for help, at some point you will feel connections forming with others and sometimes those do not work out. But you have to maintain the ones that work. Be active, I'm really proud of myself when I message an old friend to meet up and then it turns out they wanted to do the same just "did not feel like it". Work, work, work. You can never expect more that what you put in but sometimes you get pleasantly surprised. Friend is not a noun, it's a verb.

Try out different stuff. Get into a sport, voulonteering also works. Trekking, or a church if you are religious I guess.

If you find it difficult to make some new friends, you can always try stealing someone else's.

one simple word "Respect"

But keep in mind that "Respect is earned not given" and That goes both ways. 

Remember all people are different. Not everyone will always agree with you, like the things you like, see things as you do but that's OK.

Be yourself, Never try to be like someone else. Always love yourself (There is only one of you and YES you are special)

I think your off to a great start now! 

In just a few short minutes look how many responses you've gotten.

Be nice, don't backbite, try to stay positive, even though it's completely okay to talk about serious things with your friends from time to time.
That might seem obvious, but it was quite the revelation for 14-year-old me.

Oh, and remember that everything is gonna be okay! # ' w'#

Edited by C3ntralPr0cessing

Put on a skirt, head down to the docks, and do a little "hustling."

Does that sound risky? You bet it does!

I guess the first and extremely important is to exist around people, specifically those you share some interest with. And then you just talk to them and be around them in a pleasant way. What does that actually mean, I dunno I ain't good at making friends.

I tend to do the opposite of everything that pops in my mind. I found it resonates with people.

Just be yourself and immerse yourself in the community. The more you join in on the activities and conversations that happen on the forum, the more likely you'll strike up a good repore among your fellow DW members and find yourself developing and enjoying some chemistry among certain people. Once you've reached that point, reach out to those people and basically say, "Hey you wanna get to know each other better?"

That's how I've made a lot of my friends here. :^)

Edited by Biodegradable

I don't know how to make friends, but i know how to lose them ;)

Be a jerk, tell bad and inapropiate jokes.

Ignore them and don't mind whatever they tell you or what they talked with you.

If you have to choose between a common gain or your on wealth, choose for your own wealth and care.
Utilize the information you recollect about the people around you against them.

Backstab them whenever is possible. Bonus points for stealing their girlfriend/wife/sexual partner.

Follow this point and you could probably become a good politician with a lot of followers on instagram or tweeter.
Those are friends, too, right?
So yeah, double gain.
:D

A lot of people are saying common interests, and that's probably the route you wanna take to make 'legitimate' friends.

However, if your goal is to be generally likeable and/or popular amongst others while making social connections, I'd highly suggest becoming useful to others in some way.  Having some sort of skill goes a very long way with people, which can be as simple as being funny, being a talented musician, or an actual physical utility like carpentry.

Even in this community you can observe this phenomena, where the most popular users here are (generally) the ones who have also contributed a lot to the community.  Whether that's MIDI's, maps, moderation, sprites, you name it.  Doomworld is no isolated incident in this regard either, all communities from online to IRL are very much like this and always have been.

Edited by Robo_Cola

On 9/24/2021 at 5:24 PM, Womneare said:

How?

Don't try to besomeone that you aren't.

I was a more introversed Person, feeling at Home the mos saved, loving Video Games and History.

My best Friend for a long Time was a Extroverted Person.

Being more a "cool" Person.

The common Thing that clicked was the Love for Video Games and Stuff as Dragon Ball.

Talking about stupid Thing was just fluent.

I wasn't triyng to be or find a Friend, it just clicked.

So hear to your feeling, if it feels as you have to come up with Stuff the other Person could like, you are not at the same Channel.

By Time you'll adopt Behaviours of your Friends, being able to connect fluently to other People, even if they will not be 100% Friends.

Plenty of good advice here. Making friends in an offline or online world is quite different. I feel like making friends online is easier (not that I ever try to do it, my friendless self). Of course online/offline friends can traverse into the opposite.

As to online friends, it has been mentioned already. Message anybody you are interested in, or feel a connection to. Who knows where it can go. I have a friend who was just someone who messaged me mostly at random one time long ago.

A terrible option, but also how I made a good friend was on a dating site. I think they are all trash and not worth bothering with, but maybe you can make a friend off one if you go in with the intention of just being friends. I have no idea how dating sites are these days, but I assume they are not any better than the garbage they were years ago.

I don't care honestly. Never had friends and don't want any. The way I see it, my interests are my interests. They are also my interests. By the first one, I emphasize that they belong to me, and if I had to share them with anybody else, they wouldn't be as special, and I wouldn't feel as unique. My interests are part of what defines who I am, and I want my identity to be my own. By the second one, I emphasize that interests are things I care about. When I talk to people about things I care about, I hate myself for doing so. Because usually the thing I care about is important to me, not worthy of being whored around in casual conversation like it's not a big deal. So I'd rather talk to people about the utterly mundane, because that's the kind of thing that doesn't interest me. Casual conversation is more about connecting with the other person. The actual content of what you talk about is irrelevant.

TL;DR Live your own way and ditch everybody else. 

https://open.spotify.com/album/0CxPbTRARqKUYighiEY9Sz?highlight=spotify:track:0rFWuqFgHAfuzE8uSB9TWR

https://open.spotify.com/album/6QdCohkHKNTVoaSx1ZzitH?highlight=spotify:track:49rcSzMayJhIwGf0CJCaxJ

On 9/24/2021 at 11:24 AM, Womneare said:

How?

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentation of the women!" - Conan the Barbarian

(Disclaimer: I am joking)