Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The BMFG

Opinions On Mario Movie Cast?

The casting decision is the best meme of 2021 that has brought much ironic joy to us cynical adults and the movie itself will likely please the kids when it comes out. Everyone wins! I do find it pretty funny that Mario's actual voice actor got stuck with only a pissy little cameo in his own movie rather than playing the character himself. I'd say it's pretty obvious the casting was largely based on marketing more than anything else. Just a simplistic way to try and convince people outside of the hardcore Nintendo fanbase to see it, I suppose.

No doubt it'll do well and sell enough tickets from both camps: those who are genuinely excited to see it and those who are so irony-poisoned at this stage, they can only enjoy something by pleasuring their hate-boners.

I'll judge after the Movie.

I can't imagine the normal Voice for a whole Movie with Dialoges, so having another Voice than in the Games could be a good Thing.

But i also can't really imagine a Movie of a Game like Mario, they have to be creative with that to not mess it up.

How many Movies where succsessfull with Mickey Mouse where he talked much?

Ezq8CiRWUAAEI-J.jpg.fe3312b52366526548c8e26f5f87be01.jpg

Mario, before you go, make sure you hook up with my guy, one of them Toad people, he said he just got some new gear, those mushrooms can turn you into a raccoon. Crazy shit.

The casting comes across as quite unimaginative, they already have the perfect guy to voice Mario, yet they just grab some random bigshot.

26 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

The casting comes across as quite unimaginative, they already have the perfect guy to voice Mario, yet they just grab some random bigshot.

Celebrity voice acting at it's finest. But then again, it is a video-game movie, and I wouldn't expect it to be vocally faithful.

Spoiler

Also, seth rogan as DK? What the fuck kind of reality is this lmao.

17 minutes ago, The BMFG said:

imma be honest i forgot i even made this thread

This pretty much sums up my feeling about the cast, the film and any film that is based off a video-game in the first place. IMO the whole point of games is interactivity and thus, the ability to make personal decisions and have a personal "style" of playing a game (with a few notable exceptions, such as Frozen Synapse, where there's really only one possible style and solution to any level). Films, meanwhile, are rigid and can only ever be seen in a single way: The way the director's vision works.

This in turn will disenfranchise the core fanbase of the game IP to varying degrees. Either because the movie doesn't understand the above interactivity at all and presents only one facet of the game which can be a hit with some of the fans but a complete miss with the other parts of the playerbase which play the game differently and wanted to see their favorite approach (Example of this being the first Doom movie and it using the shotgun a grand total of once), or because the film DOES understand the above problem and decides to veer away from what makes the IP a game in the first place (again, example of this being the first Doom movie spending the vast majority of it's time doing a weird doom 3 like "thriller" with a token FPS scene inserted in it to appease the fans).

On topic TL;DR: ... Meh. Why watch Mario when I can play Mario?

I don’t have a problem with the casting, but I don’t like how everyone is hating on Pratt as Mario. Everyone is acting like Charles was Mario’s ONLY voice actor. Mario has had more than one voice actor. Also if people weren’t upset by Ben Schwartz and Jim Carrey playing Sonic and Eggman in the Sonic movies then they shouldn’t be upset with Pratt as Mario. Don’t give me the excuse that “well Schwartz actually sounded like Sonic.” No he sounded like Schwartz. He still did a good job though. I’m sure Pratt will be fine as well.

Hollywood has this asinine insistence on favoring hot celebrities over seasoned voice actors. It seems this transition occurred during the 90s, as reflected by the trailers for animated films, which couldn't wait to tell you which household names you would be hearing. Think back to The Little Mermaid. Then think about Toy Story. 

Granted, the latter has some great casting; but that's because people like Jim Varney (rest in peace), Tim Allen and Tom Hanks have distinct voices that work without their physical presence. With the Mario movie, this is much the same for the cast...except Chris Pratt. Just sounds like some nobody. Generic to the point of sounding artificial. The man sounds like he just woke up from a nap and can't wait to leave. It's like everyone is putting in 100% and the director didn't give a shit that Pratt lacks the dynamism to pull off a good performance. 

10 minutes ago, LightyM said:

I finally watched this movie. Well, the cast is really weird. As much as I like Chris Pratt and Seth Rogen, I don’t feel like they were good choices. Jack Black as Bowser is gold casting though, I’m really excited to see him. Also, Anya-Taylor Joy as Peach is good casting.

I’m assuming you meant the trailer and not the actual movie?

11 minutes ago, LightyM said:

I finally watched this movie. Well, the cast is really weird. As much as I like Chris Pratt and Seth Rogen, I don’t feel like they were good choices. Jack Black as Bowser is gold casting though, I’m really excited to see him. Also, Anya-Taylor Joy as Peach is good casting.

movie aint even out yet

I reserve judgement, I never thought I'd enjoy Lego movies and after watching them with my kids I think their brilliant, clever and funny. Looks from the trailer their taking a similar approach with this. As regards casting we'll see but I'd rather not have Mario portrayed as a Italian stereotype with a put on comedy voice. Thats OK for a few lines in a video game but would grate to no end in a full length movie. Trailer looked pretty good for a film to watch with the kids.

Too bad this movie wasn't made ten years ago - James Gandolfini would have made an excellent Mario.

LUIGI: Remember when we saved the princess?

MARIO: "Remember when" is the lowest form of conversation. Why don't you fuck off and die?

I’m going to see the film, so I’ll probably just wait to truly decide how I feel until I’ve seen it. From the trailers and short clip that’s been released, I think it just doesn’t feel natural because I’m so accustomed to the game voices. It sounds far better than I had anticipated though from the announcements. The main one that throws me off is Mario, though I think some are being too critical about Chris Pratt just because they like to be critical of actors who are known to basically play the same role in every film or because they want to make it about racism because they have nothing else to complain about for the day. With that said, someone like Danny Devito would’ve been better received for the role of Mario and likely would’ve fit perfectly. 

55 minutes ago, 7Mahonin said:

The main one that throws me off is Mario, though I think some are being too critical about Chris Pratt just because they like to be critical of actors who are known to basically play the same role in every film or because they want to make it about racism because they have nothing else to complain about for the day. With that said, someone like Danny Devito would’ve been better received for the role of Mario and likely would’ve fit perfectly

Danny Devito would of been great choice I agree, age doesn't matter to voice acting and his voice and energy would of been perfect.

I also agree about people knocking Chris Pratt because he basically plays versions of himself in every movie, hear the the same thing of Ryan Reynolds. Actors have doing this forever, Arnie's Arnie in all his films, but if that character suits the movie fine. Not everyone can be Johnny Depp or Robert Deniro.