Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
thiccyosh

[Released!] Existence.wad

After about 11 months of hard work and painful bug fixing alongside of crammed IRL stuff and almost getting burnt out of Doom, Existence.wad is done. And I too am done with it, I'm getting sick of just thinking about this map again. You probably are too.

Instead of copy-pasting my rambling from the wadhosting link, I'll give you the most important details.

Map: Map01

What port should I use?: One that supports UmapInfo like Dsda-doom. But also runs fine on every other source port (but not on DosBox lol).

What Complevel?: 2

What game?: Doom 2

What difficulty should I play on?: If you like a nice cruel challenge, you might like UV. Or just play with NoMo if you're just here to admire the visuals.

How much time do I need to plan in order to beat this map?: for the first timer? One full hour if you're trying to get all of the secrets.

Is jumping, crouching and freelook allowed?: I'd recommend playing vanilla for this map, so no. I mean you could also play brootal dewm with this map. I can't stop you.

Here's the link to the wad.

https://wadhosting.com/Wad/68E3CBC2ACB0C10A6C24822EA41D1F7C1DE4BE84

(Or click here if you're a lazy sack: Existence.zip )

Enjoy the map, it looks nice!

Have a nice day.

And some smol screenshots for the curious:

doom22.png.7e7387be792d3d5c3b92c2ba9e783493.pngdoom20.png.66256664a6d1e6fe6146b07ad2385ff5.pngdoom17.png.0bfa4507c6a513e5eaab7cdb0fb37071.png

Edited by thiccyosh : It's done.

It's a pretty neat map that provides a unique challenge and utilises some tried and true techniques like the Casali Hidden Archie Trick for perpetual enemies. I did find the progression slightly obscure, but that was mainly due to a very specific part that I've highlighted in my footage for you. Pretty cruel, but intriguing map.

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

I did find the progression slightly obscure

That one is on me. I thought the player would know to lower the blood pillar becasue there are two at the start of the level that you can lower too, and also put a health bonus on the pillar itself. I should mention that by 'playtesting it myself' I meant if it was even possible to beat the level, given the health and ammo I provide. You may have noticed you sometimes get double ammo, like the shells in the starting area with double rockets. The way you wanted to go at first (the broken bridge with the Spooder behind bars) is a secret, while yes you can Archie-jump to this section, I blocked it off with fireblu bars to keep those tricksters out.

2 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

Pretty cruel, but intriguing map.

It is curel for a reason (it's blood themed after all), but also added some lower-tier enemies in lower difficulties, however for this demo I kept it on mostly UV. Now that I saw this in the playthorugh, perhaps I should make the marble chunk at the blood pillar a bit wider, or else the Cyberdemon gets stuck on the other side.

Fun fact: You can actually kill the immortal Revenants if you get the turret-Plasmaspooder to infight with them, as the Revenant corpses then get out of reach for the Viles.

I liked the part where you ran into the Cyberdemon that appears 5 minutes into this level,  gave me a good laugh!

Thank you for the feedback Bio, very cool!

19 hours ago, thiccyosh said:

In the 'show me your wads' thread I wrote about how I'm currently building this map under a certain mood, and showed screenshots of it. Well, I made a demo of it. And by demo I mean a level demo and not an .lmp file, that's why I wrote shareware in the title to not confuse the moderators ;)

Oh, i see. At first i thought it was a map for Episode 1 of Doom that can be playable on shareware version of it somehow

2 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

Oh, i see. At first i thought it was a map for Episode 1 of Doom that can be playable on shareware version of it somehow

I had the choice of either confusing the mods or confusing the users. Both are bad so I went with the latter.

(Plus it catches the attention of DW users!)