Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Velvetic

Atmospheric Extinction - a Boom mapset (Now on idgames!)

Really digging this so far! Favorite map right now is MAP06.

edpPqlR.png

Playing on the latest GZDoom, I noticed that some sprites tend to cut off because of some nodebuilder fuckery or something. This happens in multiple maps.

2FQUqqC.png

In MAP06, this cyberdemon managed to climb up the starting area. I'd suggest making this a point of no return to the player. (have the player drop down to this area so they can't get back up)

3 hours ago, Velvetic said:

The visuals are mainly carried by OTEX in this

Bullshit. OTEX can make some very poor looking maps if you don't know what you're doing. You clearly have an eye for detailing, and these levels look dang impressive.

33 minutes ago, Breezeep said:

Really digging this so far! Favorite map right now is MAP06.

I'm glad you're liking it!

Playing on the latest GZDoom, I noticed that some sprites tend to cut off because of some nodebuilder fuckery or something. This happens in multiple maps.

Couldn't replicate it on my end, so I don't know what's causing it.

In MAP06, this cyberdemon managed to climb up the starting area. I'd suggest making this a point of no return to the player. (have the player drop down to this area so they can't get back up)

Oops, I overlooked that area when blocking paths, great find!

31 minutes ago, whybmonotacrab said:

Bullshit. OTEX can make some very poor looking maps if you don't know what you're doing. You clearly have an eye for detailing, and these levels look dang impressive.

Thank you!

Edit: I downloaded the new GZDoom version, and yeah, I really don't know what's causing this:

Screenshot_Doom_20210926_211052.png.b155b37dc94553c06c5045065cb84d94.png

Edited by Velvetic : managed to replicate the bug

I don't play that many WADs, but this one has caught my eye and I might give it a shot. Great work!

@Breezeep Yeah, the sprite cut off is happening even in Eviternity

Screenshot_Doom_20210926_233129.png.bfe379469d725b028c3bb087502f7dce.png

Something's going on with the software rendering in the newer builds, when I was testing with the 4.5 build this wasn't hapenning.

10 hours ago, Velvetic said:

@Breezeep Yeah, the sprite cut off is happening even in Eviternity

Screenshot_Doom_20210926_233129.png.bfe379469d725b028c3bb087502f7dce.png

Something's going on with the software rendering in the newer builds, when I was testing with the 4.5 build this wasn't hapenning.

Pinging @Graf Zahl

13 hours ago, Velvetic said:

Edit: I downloaded the new GZDoom version, and yeah
Screenshot_Doom_20210926_211052.png.b155b37dc94553c06c5045065cb84d94.png

This is the policy of the developers. It looks something like: let's mock of compatibility and make as many as possible old wads or mods stop working in the new version of the GZDoom. I wouldn't be surprised if one day the new version of GZDoom stops supporting DOOM.WAD. ))

Are you guys all using the latest version? I'm using GZ v4.6.1 and I cannot replicate the cropping effect happening on the larger tree sprites in your screenshots. They look just fine on my end.  

xqi2ZpY.png

21 hours ago, Velvetic said:

@Biodegradable 4.5 didn't have it as well, but 4.7 (latest official release) and dev build 4.8pre-8-g8f54de99e have this problem.

Ah right, I didn't know 4.7 was out yet, so I guess that explains it. I'm sure you'll get it sorted. If you tap Graf on the shoulder, I'm sure he'll help troubleshoot the issue. Anyways, this is a terrific mapset, Velvetic. It has a great mixture of classic and modern Doom mapping sensibilities with an excellent use of OTEX, no two map designs are the same, challenge was well-balanced for the most part (perhaps a little overzealous with pick-ups for continuous play) with stellar atmosphere and fun, straightforward progression. I feel very privileged that you asked me to playtest this for you before you posted it publicly. Sorry for the extended wait hehe ^^; This is one of my favourite miniWADs to come out this year.

Edited by Biodegradable

4 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I feel very privileged that you asked me to playtest this for you before you posted it publicly. Sorry for the extended wait hehe ^^

Sorry, that is on me, I could've waited a bit more, but I was too excited to release it. Anyways, thanks for playing it! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

This looks nice!

As someone else has said, it's possible to make bad looking maps with Otex, even if it's a great texture set. And this isn't bad looking at all!

I'm still working on this WAD but maaan these are some nice looking maps. I love the theme for MAP03 - the palette swap just gives it such a unique and lush aesthetic. Map 04 has such an immense scale to it, it has the perfect skybox. It feels every bit as vertical as it strives to look.

Really looking forward to seeing the rest of these so far.

EDIT: Just also wanted to add that the soundtrack is pretty stellar. 

Alright, just ended up going and finishing my run-through on Hurt-Me-Plenty! You saw the first couple episodes on-stream and can confirm the third one went equally smoothly.

Now, I am no Doom expert or authority on map design or anything like that so I will just try to organize my thoughts from a casual's point of view.

Overall as many have said, this map set is a LOOKER, and that does not stop outside of what the screenshots provide, either. The looks also never get in the way of gameplay almost ever minus a couple of deliberately obscured like, imps in crevices or the like that is pretty harmless. The maps themselves flow quite nicely, too, with little bits of interconnectivity here and there, like how MAP04 is essentially one massive open area when it boils down to it, but the walls of the ruins help break it down into tackle-able chunks. Also never once really felt lost or wandering aimlessly as the maps were all a very comfortable size with progression that tended to drop you off right near where you needed to back-track to. In other words, I liked the level design itself a lot.

Combat was a bit shakier, but a lot of that comes from tropes I personally do not care for. The big one being "my goodness that sure is a lot of sniper enemies on far off cliffs just on the edge of auto-aim range". This starts from MAP03, spikes in MAP04, and straight-up graduates to Chaingunners and Ravenants in Episode 3, the former of which is particularly frustrating because with said auto-aim there is often a lot of bulk in the way of the chaingunners, meaning you take a bunch of incidental damage just trying to be rid of the pests. There is plenty of health around so on HMP it was at least never deadly, just frustrating.

Other than the snipers, the rest is perfectly fine. I appreciated the occasional bit of fangs and curve balls the maps would throw at you, with MAP03 and MAP07 having quick little bouts I found quite fun. Most combat ends up being just enemies you meet along the way. Only a few enemies felt ultimate very pointless, like the Spectres guarding the Backpack in a liquid pit of MAP08... they cannot get out of the pit and are very visible so they are just kinda hangin'.

Ammo and health balance is always fairly subjective and I suspect it is fairly different on Ultra-Violence, but I felt like I had a LOT of spare ammo in this. Like not just a few scattered shells, like my ammo is full up and there are plenty of boxes left laying around type spare ammo. You can feel free to go a little wild with strong weapons whenever they are handed over as ammo for everything short of the Rocket Launcher seems quite plentiful. Health there was still plenty spare, but far less so than ammo. Maybe it was just cause I liked to mess with a bit of in-fighting for larger encounters, but still, it is something of note.

Last couple of things, there were a couple spots when playing purely by vanilla rules where infinitely tall objects would be a big annoyance, like MAP07 when wrapping around to pick up the Red Skull Key at the end, the monsters that re-populated the area below can easily block you and cause you to fall down and have to run all the way back around again after dealing with them. Then there is the ending... nothing major here, just figure it could be neat to use a Romero Head to get a nice, satisfying kaboom on the last rocket instead of the level just kinda ending.

tldr; Fun map set, very visually pretty, has a couple annoying enemy tropes but nothing fun-breaking, trends on easy but there is nothing wrong with that, try it out!

27 minutes ago, PinkKittyRose said:

Combat was a bit shakier, but a lot of that comes from tropes I personally do not care for. The big one being "my goodness that sure is a lot of sniper enemies on far off cliffs just on the edge of auto-aim range". This starts from MAP03, spikes in MAP04, and straight-up graduates to Chaingunners and Ravenants in Episode 3, the former of which is particularly frustrating because with said auto-aim there is often a lot of bulk in the way of the chaingunners, meaning you take a bunch of incidental damage just trying to be rid of the pests. There is plenty of health around so on HMP it was at least never deadly, just frustrating.

Yeah, that was intentional, I wanted them to be just out the auto-aim range so you'd never feel comfortable around those areas. Although I understand and see why that would be annoying as well.

33 minutes ago, PinkKittyRose said:

Other than the snipers, the rest is perfectly fine. I appreciated the occasional bit of fangs and curve balls the maps would throw at you, with MAP03 and MAP07 having quick little bouts I found quite fun. Most combat ends up being just enemies you meet along the way. Only a few enemies felt ultimate very pointless, like the Spectres guarding the Backpack in a liquid pit of MAP08... they cannot get out of the pit and are very visible so they are just kinda hangin'.

I have to agree with the spectres, just something goofy that I did as a joke (waste ammo to get a backpack).

38 minutes ago, PinkKittyRose said:

Ammo and health balance is always fairly subjective and I suspect it is fairly different on Ultra-Violence, but I felt like I had a LOT of spare ammo in this. Like not just a few scattered shells, like my ammo is full up and there are plenty of boxes left laying around type spare ammo. You can feel free to go a little wild with strong weapons whenever they are handed over as ammo for everything short of the Rocket Launcher seems quite plentiful. Health there was still plenty spare, but far less so than ammo. Maybe it was just cause I liked to mess with a bit of in-fighting for larger encounters, but still, it is something of note.

I overshot the ammo because I mainly did playtesting with pistol starting for every map, so that is something that I'm going to address on the next revision.

40 minutes ago, PinkKittyRose said:

Last couple of things, there were a couple spots when playing purely by vanilla rules where infinitely tall objects would be a big annoyance, like MAP07 when wrapping around to pick up the Red Skull Key at the end, the monsters that re-populated the area below can easily block you and cause you to fall down and have to run all the way back around again after dealing with them. Then there is the ending... nothing major here, just figure it could be neat to use a Romero Head to get a nice, satisfying kaboom on the last rocket instead of the level just kinda ending.

Took that into account already, that red key path actually has monster block lines on both sides of the blood pool beneath (hope nobody abuses this "safe zone").

The romero head is there, but it emits no sound when you kill it. I modified it so you don't hear it during death exits on MAP03 and MAP06.

And thanks! It was fun watching you playing the first 6 maps, and I'm glad you like it.