Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexagon

Is there a single wad that contains the entirety of the Top 100 Most Memorable Maps?

I'm not sure if this would even be possible in a single WAD or if it would have to be multiple. I'd love to be able to play through all the maps but I don't want to go through every WAD the maps are from.

Is there a solution to my conundrum?

11 minutes ago, Alexagon said:

I'm not sure if this would even be possible in a single WAD or if it would have to be multiple. I'd love to be able to play through all the maps but I don't want to go through every WAD the maps are from.

Is there a solution to my conundrum?

most maps are already inside other community projects... so from the get go, the answer is no.

But nothing is stoping you from doing it yourself ;) (though, i don't recommend it)
But you will have to deal with lots of texture management and code a good UMAPINFO/MAPINFO to make them work as intended.

Now that you know how hard to make it would be, the heavy workload you will have to do for it to be playable, you can also realise that could already be playing them separatelly and spending the time enjoying them than suffering with an almost nonsensical task.

another thing that makes the whole idea practically impossible are the custom monster and weapon replacements that would inevitably conflict unless you remade every single one as a separate actor/weapon. you'd end up playing something like btsx with valiant monsters, adventures of square weapons and random decorations replaced by enemies because they were used as dehacked fodder.

2 minutes ago, Jacek Bourne said:

As far as I know the most maps that can possibly be in a wad is 99 using zdoom so your one short unless what I’m saying is false.

Heh, there's this abomination ;)

Yeah , I would like to see a wad where you can play wow.wad just after misri halek.

Also the list was not conceived to have people play 100 -> 1 like that. While some maps might be well suited to that, and some people will be Iron(wo)men who can pull that off anyway, it can blunt the affect of maps that reach their heights partly because of surrounding context, and it can lead to burnout and fatigue with the stretches of long maps. I like to think of it as a way of broadening horizons; "oh I haven't played or even heard of this or that wad featured, I might do that." 

You can usually see such patchwork PWADs on ZDaemon. Whether they actually are compilations of the "100 most memorable" maps and/or won't contain questionable "enhancements", is another story.

Sounds like the Memorial wad (all Doom 2 maps glued together into one huge map) times 9000, which it's asking for the impossible....

.........unless that someone want to take just an area of each map and paste it to add a bit of modification but....yea, a big NOPE.

Hmm. shouldn't we simply merge all stuff from /idgames into one huge gigawad  (of course with weekly updated versions)?
So we would have all maps put nicely together in one place and nobody would have to look for pwads or fuss around with this stupid -file xyz command line thingie.

17 hours ago, DoomGater said:

shouldn't we simply merge all stuff from /idgames into one huge gigawad

can't wait to see a community project doing this

16 hours ago, DoomGater said:

Hmm. shouldn't we simply merge all stuff from /idgames into one huge gigawad  (of course with weekly updated versions)?

No because that would be lunacy. I hope you are kidding.