Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

Neapolitan Doom v0.02

2 minutes ago, BBQgiraffe said:

made it so that zip resources can override iwad entries, tested this by replacing the intro music with a midi from Nitemare 3D

Nice

15 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Should have called it RickDoom :)

I'd love that ;)

Spoiler

That's my name.

@BBQgiraffe If you plan on adding LUA scripting, as a matter of conincidence i stumbled upon some Doom Legacy forks that do exactly this. They are forks of the Sonic Robo Blast 2 game, which, as i am wading through it, has more source modfiications known to man than anything ever.

15 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

@BBQgiraffe If you plan on adding LUA scripting, as a matter of conincidence i stumbled upon some Doom Legacy forks that do exactly this. They are forks of the Sonic Robo Blast 2 game, which, as i am wading through it, has more source modfiications known to man than anything ever.

Funny, I thought that title would be taken by this weird, obscure game nobody's ever heard of called "Doom."

5 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Funny, I thought that title would be taken by this weird, obscure game nobody's ever heard of called "Doom."

Source modifications, not Source ports ;)

Its kind of mesmerizing. As of writing, i am approaching no less than 30 modifications. Those are all standalone executables. And what they change is pretty intense, too. LUA Scripting? Client/Server? A new OpenGL renderer? There is a mod out there that does just that.

A lot of stuff in there might be useful for Doom too.

Its actually kind of the opposite way you would want to have with mods, because interchangeability is non-existent here, whereas in the usual Doom port, things are compatible with eachother. Not so much with these ones.

24 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Source modifications, not Source ports ;)

Well let's see... that'd still be... almost all of them. :P

The only "real" source port, in my eyes, is Chocolate Doom. Anything else had all sorts of code rewritten - sometimes extensively. Even Boom, for example, despite also running on DOS, has heavy modifications to the code. At that point, the source has been modified, and by extension, anything derived from it, or based upon it, is likewise modified from the original Doom source.

Some would even argue that Chocolate Doom is, in and of itself, a source modification, since even though it strives to be as close as possible, some stuff simply had to be rewritten for modern operating systems. To me though that's about simple necessity of operating systems and PCs evolving since Doom's time; striving to make the engine as accurate as you can to the original is pretty much the definition of a port. If the backplate code is different but the user experience is the same or very close to it, mission accomplished.

We could have a philosophical debate over what constitutes a port versus a modification, of course. Make sure to bring the fancy caviar if so.

4 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

The only "real" source port, in my eyes, is Chocolate Doom. Anything else had all sorts of code rewritten - sometimes extensively. Even Boom, for example, despite also running on DOS, has heavy modifications to the code. At that point, the source has been modified, and by extension, anything derived from it, or based upon it, is likewise modified from the original Doom source.

Some would even argue that Chocolate Doom is, in and of itself, a source modification, since even though it strives to be as close as possible, some stuff simply had to be rewritten for modern operating systems. To me though that's about simple necessity of operating systems and PCs evolving since Doom's time; striving to make the engine as accurate as you can to the original is pretty much the definition of a port. If the backplate code is different but the user experience is the same or very close to it, mission accomplished.

We could have a philosophical debate over what constitutes a port versus a modification, of course. Make sure to bring the fancy caviar if so.

Reading this, a question came over me. Is DOSBox a source port, or is it just a DOS emulator running old Doom?

21 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

Reading this, a question came over me. Is DOSBox a source port, or is it just a DOS emulator running old Doom?

DOSBox is trying to emulate a DOS-era PC, so it is the latter. The Doom that runs on it is the original, unmodified DOS Doom (or other DOS-era executables).

25 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Alright.

Go further back and find NeXTDoom and Linux Doom. The former is quite literally the original.

We could, or you could open a Talk thread at the Wiki. If not, then it is defined as is.

21 minutes ago, xdude_gamer said:

DOSBox is a generic DOS emulator that can run most DOS games, so also Doom.

It would be fun to see a tailor made DOS Box build tho.

44 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Go further back and find NeXTDoom and Linux Doom. The former is quite literally the original.

Well yeah, if you want to be really technical, DOS is a port of NeXTDoom, and Linux is a port of the DOS code.

10 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Well yeah, if you want to be really technical, DOS is a port of NeXTDoom, and Linux is a port of the DOS code.

No, not desirably.

19 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Well, DOSDoom would be the first source port probably.  Whilst Choco was from Linux Doom, it's codebase barely resembles it.  It has been refactored, modified and even contains functionality that isn't vanilla.  It's a nice source port, but it isn't 'the' source port.

Edited by Gibbon

On 11/3/2021 at 5:31 AM, xdude_gamer said:

Hey, progress check! It's November, how's the thingy going?

I had to take a break for a while because I get burnt out easily, will probably resume progress in a week

2 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

I had to take a break for a while because I get burnt out easily, will probably resume progress in a week

Ok, great!

3 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

Thats why I have 5 source ports :) it's nice to switch it up regularly and rotate.  Stops the burnout.

On 9/29/2021 at 10:13 AM, Dark Pulse said:

Tafkald - The App Formerly Known As Linux Doom.

or maybe neodoom or something

Hello There! I'm very sorry for the dormancy, I was focusing on boring real life things and didn't have much time for my personal projects, I spent today fixing the atrocious keyboard input system and am currently working on rewriting midi playback to be real-time instead of converting the entire soundtrack to pcm audio at the start of a level, probably going to release 0.03 sometime this week, with a complete rewrite of sfx playback as it was hastily thrown together 7 months ago

actually I use this funky little skeleton I drew for most of my online stuff now but I'll probably keep the cat pfp for Doomworld since it's the first site I started using this name on lol

image.png

finally got around to rewriting the music system, now it renders in real time instead of all at once, this removes that incredibly annoying freeze during music transitions and also cuts back quite a bit on memory usage

hi there! I had to delete and remake the GitHub repo because Git doesn't have a "unbranch" feature and I kept accidentally making pull requests to /id-Software/DOOM by mistake, so yeah go restar and rewatch the repo and whatnot so you can see updates as they happen

6 hours ago, BBQgiraffe said:

hi there! I had to delete and remake the GitHub repo because Git doesn't have a "unbranch" feature and I kept accidentally making pull requests to /id-Software/DOOM by mistake, so yeah go restar and rewatch the repo and whatnot so you can see updates as they happen

ha!  I do that sometimes by mistake because github is f*****g stupid and keeps having the base branch be chocolate doom (for sprinkled).  Freaking numbskulls..