Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Reinhard

GZDOOM, LZDOOM or ZDOOM?

I'd Mostly prefer zandronum and skulltag but when it comes to zdoom gzdoom I have a soft spot for aeodlite because it was the first zdoom exclusive mod I played I started with v1.2 not v1.3 which was for gzdoom then played aeons of death v6 for my first gzdoom build I have ever downloaded you could say I was a zdoom player until I got obsessed over skulltag mods.

Been ZDoom, swapped over to GZDoom after ZDoom was parked.

All settings are set to vanilla behavior, except for the annoying things. So I play with no infinite height, infinite Lost Souls and fixed blockmap bug.

My cousin uses LZDoom on a Windows XP PC due to performance.

For playing, I prefer GZDoom because I feel features like dynamic lights, shadowmaps, ambient occlusion and true 3D rendering help make maps look more solid and immersive. However, if a map is significantly older or is intended for vanilla play, I'll likely switch to ZDoom or Crispy Doom.

For mapping, much as I love the simplicity of vanilla, I'm finding myself more and more attracted to what UDMF can accomplish, so that obviously makes GZDoom the go-to for testing. 

GZDoom user here. I got a new PC lately and performance is not an issue.

With that said, I feel something went wrong with it lately when using Doom (strict) compatibility settings because the punch and chainsaw hitboxes have gotten super wonky with it. I had to switch to Doom compatibility because of this.

ZDOOM 2.3.1 

Sound Effects Level: 10

Music Level: 10

Linear

Default Sample Rate

21 Sound Channels

The monsters seem to sound better in this one, i dont know but i tried LOADS and LOADS of different ports and versions and this port and particular version made the DOOM game sound like a real DOOM game for once. 

I've heard the the cries/moans/all the sounds they make trillions of times so i know what im talking about.

The SG & SSG also sound more beefy in this version.  

Edited by vanilla_d00m

9 hours ago, idbeholdME said:

My cousin uses LZDoom on a Windows XP PC due to performance.

I like that cousin

On 9/29/2021 at 5:20 PM, Briøche said:

LZDoom because my computer is a f**king toaster

try the latest GZDoom release on OpenGL ES.
man, i totally give up on being able to play GZDoom latest release thanks to my old toaster, and now i am enjoying Golden Souls 2 like nuDoom fan boy :D

Thanks, @Graf Zahl for making this possible and for having old systems still on your developing range ;)

9 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

With that said, I feel something went wrong with it lately when using Doom (strict) compatibility settings because the punch and chainsaw hitboxes have gotten super wonky with it. I had to switch to Doom compatibility because of this.

Strict enables "Use Doom code for hitscan checks", which mimics Doom's original hitscan behavior(enabling the blockmap bug where hitscan attacks can miss targets) and how the game checked collision with your melee weapons, where it attempted to hit the monter's cross section, i.e its center point, rather than its bounding box. In turn, this made it really hard to use melee attacks on wider foes.

Played on Zandronum at first as on the most heavy/busy mods it had way better performance than GZDoom .

But it was painfull for my eyes because unlike the other Zdoom-based ports there's no option in Zandronum to disable the "flash" when you pick up an item, and getting old it's a pain.

So i finally settled on LZDoom that seems to have the same performance as Zandronum with heavy/busy mods but fortunately allows me to disable that damned eye murdering "flash".

Will have to check the new GZDoom render to see how it goes.

On 10/1/2021 at 10:03 AM, SteelPH said:

Strict enables "Use Doom code for hitscan checks", which mimics Doom's original hitscan behavior(enabling the blockmap bug where hitscan attacks can miss targets) and how the game checked collision with your melee weapons, where it attempted to hit the monter's cross section, i.e its center point, rather than its bounding box. In turn, this made it really hard to use melee attacks on wider foes.

Yup. The vast majority of things have an option in GZDoom. I also use strict Doom as a base, just with a couple of things changed.

I always recommend everybody new to GZDoom: go through all the options (in the advanced menu) one by one, just so you know what's available to you. Chances are that what you want is in there somewhere.

From big things like hitscan behavior or infinitely tall actors to things like enemy bahavior when you have partial invisibility or whether drops from enemies do that annoying hop or spawn on the ground like they're supposed to, it's all there.

GZDoom for main play and testing. LZDoom mainly for personal custom mods I make because I like mine to be compatible with both.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:07 AM, PsychEyeball said:

There is a bug introduced in GZDoom 4.7.0 that had code refactoring (to support MBF21) which resulted in accidentally having punching range reduced from 64 to 44. This bug has since been fixed on github, but you will either need to grab a DRDTeam build or wait for 4.7.1 (or whatever the next version will be called)

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

There is a bug introduced in GZDoom 4.7.0 that had code refactoring (to support MBF21) which resulted in accidentally having punching range reduced from 64 to 44. This bug has since been fixed on github, but you will either need to grab a DRDTeam build or wait for 4.7.1 (or whatever the next version will be called)

So something indeed went wrong! Good to know it's already been fixed then.

On vendredi 1 octobre 2021 at 1:00 AM, P41R47 said:

Thanks, @Graf Zahl for making this possible and for having old systems still on your developing range ;)

In this case it's mostly thanks to @beloko (for making the GLES renderer in the first place) and Rachael (for pushing it into mainline GZDoom).

I mostly play on Zandronum though I haven't updated since 3.0. I should go and get a more updated version of it. Since Zandronum is basically an older version GZDoom but with multiplayer, I tend to swap over to the latest version of GZDoom whenever a mod doesn't run on Zandronum.

ZDoom ceased development quite a long time ago, and its software renderer is still alive and something resembling well within its hardware-centric progeny, so it's outright confined to the history books nowadays. I'm... not entirely sure why it's being bought up here, to be honest.

14 minutes ago, Kinsie said:

I'm... not entirely sure why it's being bought up here, to be honest.

A lot of people still use it, don't they?

4 minutes ago, MattFright said:

A lot of people still use it, don't they?

I would be incredibly surprised, especially with popular mods such as Brutal Doom basically requiring GL features.

Well there's the demo runner's argument that it being dead means it's finally stable.