Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

Help! [edit: getting people to sign up to community project]

So I made a community project called Gothic21 right, with a few people already signing up, right? 

But how do I get more people to find it and follow it? I don't want it to fade into oblivion, this could be important later!

Try to reduce the amount of slots. People tend to be more tempted when places are limited, it brings prestige and a sense of having to make a quick decision regarding the question of "do I want to be part of this project?"

And, yeah, you can just add slots later

Just now, Briøche said:

Try to reduce the amount of slots. People tend to be more tempted when places are limited, it brings prestige and a sense of having to make a quick decision regarding the question of "do I want to be part of this project?"

And, yeah, you can just add slots later

Hmm. I'll make it 12 levels instead of 18 then, how about it?

Just now, xdude_gamer said:

Hmm. I'll make it 12 levels instead of 18 then, how about it?

Try it, you lose nothing to :)

Plus, you can check that if it's not already done :

6 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

Make it good and you'll remembered.

Wow such great advice. How do I make it good! I'm working on a new Gothic map and I've only gotten about 7 people to actually wanna contribute :(

Just now, DoomGater said:

THAT's the spirit :-)

:D

Bit dumb of me to ask, but do you map in UDMF or make any MIDIs? You might make a great member!

There are no dumb questions....only dumb answers.

I did map, yes. But long ago, in the days, when doom run solely under DOS.
I am still producing music in several formats and midi files surely are not unknown to me.
But I don't know nothing about your Gothic 2, but I noticed there is an evil twin.

What's your portfolio, is there a website of any kind

to give an idea, what you have in mind?
Who's already on board, what's their story?

You have to give information to inspire people.

And: Don't be so desperate to hire complete strangers for a project you care about.

12 minutes ago, DoomGater said:

There are no dumb questions....only dumb answers.

I did map, yes. But long ago, in the days, when doom run solely under DOS.
I am still producing music in several formats and midi files surely are not unknown to me.
But I don't know nothing about your Gothic 2, but I noticed there is an evil twin.

What's your portfolio, is there a website of any kind

to give an idea, what you have in mind?
Who's already on board, what's their story?

You have to give information to inspire people.

And: Don't be so desperate to hire complete strangers for a project you care about.

Well, I don't have a website, but I have a set of rules on the post, and a few screenshots. I've been pretty desperate to get a CP running that would work, so I decided that a set of GothicDM-esque deathmatch maps would be neat. I have Doomkid saying he might make a map, and I have a few others I worked with on the Ultimate Twango team with, including The_SloVinator and Dusty_Rhodes.

First step will be to show people something new, some kind of twist to a project, or make something interesting, not only that, but presenting a good project to people means that you also need to show some pictures, and make one or two maps before to show some examples, if you can. Images and examples make more people pay attention to it, and feel a little bit more "guided" on what should they do while mapping.
Give people information, good resource packs if they need for the project, CLEAR EXPLANATION OF WHICH PORT YOU'LL NEED TO USE, this is pretty important, it gives rejection feelings when someone says "yeah, a project for modern sourceports", Ok, which one then? What establishes your definition for modern sourceport in the first place?

Having some previous reputation managing projects or doing something in the community before, like maps, music or other assets, is also important, as it goes well with the "this is a reliable project to work on" thing.

And the most important aspect of all: Don't be pretentious.
That's all.

22 hours ago, xdude_gamer said:

I'm working on a new Gothic map and I've only gotten about 7 people to actually wanna contribute

Gothic99 consisted of maps made by a team of 7 mappers.

To say that only having 7 people contribute maps to your project is not necessarily a bad thing. It depends on what is your goal? Do you want good maps from a small team, possibly with some mappers making more than one maps? Or is your project incomplete until you have 32 mappers, each making 1 map? There is an unfortunate belief that a Doom 2 project is not done until you have somewhere between 30 and 34 maps, and anything less somehow diminishes the quality and potential impact of your mapset. This couldn't be further from the truth. There are any number of fantastic mapsets will map counts in the single digits or teens that are absolutely phenomenal. The number of people on your team, and the total number of maps that you have in your mapset, does not dictate the quality of that mapset. Neither does a small team mean that you should not be content until you can recruit more people.

As DJVCardMaster said, having an established reputation for getting your project done will help you a lot. Focus on getting the project done and released. If you can do that, you will find that the next time you decide to lead a project, you will probably have more people interested in working with you.

To sum up, worry less about having a smaller number of people contributing to your project and concentrate on putting together a good mapset and getting it finished.