Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Luzifer

The first release

So it doesn't contain the first version but updated version 1.9!? If you remember the first version was changed because it contains the nazicross in one of the last maps. In fact in Germany this version is banned if I'm not wrong.

I don't know which version of Doom the 3DO is made of but the nazi crosses are there even in the 1.9 release. Those are the secret Wolfenstein levels (lv 31-32).

He means Doom 1. That Nazi swastika in map E1M4 was altered for the 1.666 version (maybe earlier). The two secret Wolfenstein maps were in Doom 2.

Ichor said:

He means Doom 1. That Nazi swastika in map E1M4 was altered for the 1.666 version (maybe earlier). The two secret Wolfenstein maps were in Doom 2.

You're right! I've burned on CD the first version 1.1 and it contains the swastika. Well, nobody knows which version contains the 3DO edition? Is it the first ever appeared? How much is the collection value of the first release if it has one?

Luzifer said:

You're right! I've burned on CD the first version 1.1 and it contains the swastika. Well, nobody knows which version contains the 3DO edition? Is it the first ever appeared? How much is the collection value of the first release if it has one?

PC Doom was still release before the 3DO version. I've red a couple of article comparing the SNES, GBA, pc, 3do, 32x version and the 3DO is considered the worst console to play Doom. Some levels are not there, it's extremely choppy because the CD has to load continuously, you can't play at full screen, no cyby or spider mastermind, can't save in game, etc. Frankly, I don't think it's even worth 20 $.

Speaking of console ports, I got me a copy of PSX Doom in a local store at the weekend for £4.98. Playing through it right now. Much better than I expected it to be. Some of the levels look a bit plainer than the originals, and it's odd to see doom2 textures in doom1 levels, but yeah, good fun. I dunno if it's the screen aspect or something, but a lot of the open spaces and rooms seem a bit wider than they did on the PC. They didn't hold back on the coloured lighting did they?

I had a helluva job playing it to start with on my PS2, simply because I don't play doom with a joystick/keypad. I kept getting killed in the simplest of situations. So I grabbed an emulator and BIOS off a couple of sites I found with a google search, configured it to use the same keys as the original PC Doom, and It's much better now. :-)

Enjay said:

So I grabbed an emulator and BIOS off a couple of sites I found with a google search, configured it to use the same keys as the original PC Doom, and It's much better now. :-)

Any links for the emulator & BIOS Enjay? I'll look myself now anyways.
Yes a lot of spaces do seem bigger and they really went to town with the coloured lighting, really nice though. It's worth picking up PSX Final Doom too. A fiver seems an average price for each nowadays...bargain.
Got 'em, I see there's an issue with the BIOS so one has to search.

magikal said:

Any links for the emulator & BIOS Enjay?

I wasn't sensible enough to make a note of them. I got 2 emulators I think one was PSXEmuPro, but that didn't work for me. ePSXe however seems very sweet and has managed to play every single PSX game I own (quite a few). It's really odd to see them on my monitor rather than a TV. The download is pretty small, but you need to get plugins for it as well (it doesn't come with them). Once you've done that, it's a case of fiddling with the plug ins, selecting the ones that work best for you and configuring them (eg, the best looking graphics ran the games at about 10x the correct speeed until I found the FPS limiter in the video plug in config). Although I didn't get it there, I've since found that ePSXe has a site at http://www.epsxe.com/ (not too surprisingly).

To get the BIOS I just followed the advice on a site I visited to do a google for a file called SCPH1000.zip or SCPH1000.bin. Found it in a matter of seconds. The opinion I have seen on these sites is that getting a copy of this file is legal as long as you own a PSX, but frankly I don't know. Apparently it is also possible to make your own BIOS dump if you have a game shark or some other such attachment for your PSX and another tool or two as well.

Thanks Enjay, I just got exactly what you listed, BIOS too, thanks for the extra info also.:)

Ichor said:

There was a special German version of Doom II released without the secret maps.