Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[UPDATED 10/1/21] Doom 64 Restoration Patch (KEX 2020 Remaster)

Given that currently the most vanilla-accurate port of Doom 64 as of writing is the 2020 Remaster from Nightdive, I thought I'd do what I can to make a few changes (to the best of my ability) to restore/emulate some of the original N64 graphics and behavior.

DOWNLOAD HERE

Changes

• Replaced License/Seizure Warning screens with the original copyright/license screen found in the WAD file
  • Replaced the High-res Doom 64 title graphic with the original low-res graphic also found in the WAD file
  • Removed Bethesda logo spinner so it doesn't appear every damn time you quick save
  • Included Sui's Hack, which allows achievements when using the -file parameter and fixes the Baron of Hell's melee damage to be more vanilla-accurate (both enabled by default here)
  • Included a WAD containing:
    • the uncensored red cross health pack textures
    • the chaingun sprites re-aligned to not be cut off at the bottom

Installation

1. Extract the ZIP's contents to your Doom 64 folder
  2. Add the parameters seen below to the Launch Options box in Steam (or from the command line, I think that works too)
  3. Run the game and enjoy!

Required Parameters:

-file fix.wad -skipmovies

Edited by OpenRift

2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

wait baron of hell melee damage is changed on the remastered version?

damn that sucks

Not on purpose, this was a mistake made on Kaiser's part I believe. Thankfully this patch should provide the fix.

Out of curiosity, what was supposed to be the regular damage Barons do and what value did they have in the KEX version?

Anyhow that's a nice fix, it's always nice to see interest toward Doom 64.

4 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

Out of curiosity, what was supposed to be the regular damage Barons do and what value did they have in the KEX version?

Anyhow that's a nice fix, it's always nice to see interest toward Doom 64.

Kaiser explains it here.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I know the remaster has a chaingun offset where sometimes you can see an empty row of pixels. I dont know if that was in the original Doom 64 or not. But perhaps that can be a future fix. This steam guide talks about it a bit: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2117925012

Fuck, you're right. I'll make a new version with fixed chaingun offsets. Hopefully I can just include the sprites with fixed offsets in the extra WAD.

EDIT: Okay all fixed now!

Edited by OpenRift