Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
OpenRift

[UPDATED 5/20/23] Doom 64 Restoration Patch (2020 Remaster)

2 hours ago, omalefico32x said:

wait baron of hell melee damage is changed on the remastered version?

damn that sucks

Not on purpose, this was a mistake made on Kaiser's part I believe. Thankfully this patch should provide the fix.

Out of curiosity, what was supposed to be the regular damage Barons do and what value did they have in the KEX version?

Anyhow that's a nice fix, it's always nice to see interest toward Doom 64.

4 minutes ago, PsychEyeball said:

Out of curiosity, what was supposed to be the regular damage Barons do and what value did they have in the KEX version?

Anyhow that's a nice fix, it's always nice to see interest toward Doom 64.

Kaiser explains it here.

3 hours ago, Immorpher said:

I know the remaster has a chaingun offset where sometimes you can see an empty row of pixels. I dont know if that was in the original Doom 64 or not. But perhaps that can be a future fix. This steam guide talks about it a bit: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2117925012

Fuck, you're right. I'll make a new version with fixed chaingun offsets. Hopefully I can just include the sprites with fixed offsets in the extra WAD.

EDIT: Okay all fixed now!

Edited by OpenRift

1 hour ago, Immorpher said:

Plasma rifle animation and some gun flashes still appear offset though.

Yeah, sadly :(

I hope they'll fix that, and apparently the some users are complaining that the framerate is not truely uncapped though I'll take a stable 60 FPS than a choppy 91 FPS mess from the previous patch.

Update: @OpenRift I noticed your mod accidentally includes the borked DX11 shaders; I compared the mod's kpf files and the one from the latest clean version of Doom 64 and the former during the demo sequence.

The mod applied on the March 2022 build of Doom 64:

DOOM64_x64-2022_03_11_01-05-54.jpg.48a02f9e7e6dfaa1ed77e8cd661a61d8.jpg

March 2022 build of Doom 64 without the mod:

DOOM64_x64-2022_03_11_01-01-20.jpg.07179aa86e9c6c56a0980a4de89607bd.jpg

Edited by AmethystViper : Informing an error in the mod without double-posting.

On 3/9/2022 at 1:45 AM, AmethystViper said:

I hope they'll fix that, and apparently the some users are complaining that the framerate is not truely uncapped though I'll take a stable 60 FPS than a choppy 91 FPS mess from the previous patch.

Update: @OpenRift I noticed your mod accidentally includes the borked DX11 shaders; I compared the mod's kpf files and the one from the latest clean version of Doom 64 and the former during the demo sequence.

Reveal hidden contents

The mod applied on the March 2022 build of Doom 64:

DOOM64_x64-2022_03_11_01-05-54.jpg.48a02f9e7e6dfaa1ed77e8cd661a61d8.jpg

March 2022 build of Doom 64 without the mod:

DOOM64_x64-2022_03_11_01-01-20.jpg.07179aa86e9c6c56a0980a4de89607bd.jpg

Alright, updated it to the latest version.

I tried this out on the EGS release (since that's free this week), and the WAD patch works great, but the KPF patches fail because they have a different checksum from the version the patches were created from.

Perhaps a readme could state which images from the iWAD are used to replace which images from the KPFs, so that a user could manually edit the KPFs if necessary.

Batch script log:

Spoiler

image.png.3feaec49734c7463f4a4c5ce6e0c2b7c.png

3 hours ago, SirYodaJedi said:

I tried this out on the EGS release (since that's free this week), and the WAD patch works great, but the KPF patches fail because they have a different checksum from the version the patches were created from.

Perhaps a readme could state which images from the iWAD are used to replace which images from the KPFs, so that a user could manually edit the KPFs if necessary.

Batch script log:

Hide contents

image.png.3feaec49734c7463f4a4c5ce6e0c2b7c.png

Wait, they put the game on the Epic Games store??? I'll have to take a look at this at some point. I do wonder what they changed in that version of the KPFs...

1 hour ago, OpenRift said:

Wait, they put the game on the Epic Games store??? I'll have to take a look at this at some point. I do wonder what they changed in that version of the KPFs...

Hurry up, it experies at 25 August, the free offer

Not a 100% thorough comparison but I compared the Steam version KPF files to the ones in the Epic version and it appears there are some differences with the localization and gfx files between both KPFs.

Left: Steam version - Right: Epic Games Store version

BNet.kpf
7zFM-2022_08_19_21-49-25.png.7b5895a8b657dd51936a396287325d88.png

Doom64.kpf
7zFM-2022_08_19_21-48-30.png.e618aa140e15211d83c2963410a30613.png

18 hours ago, irukanjji said:

Hurry up, it experies at 25 August, the free offer

Alright well the patch is updated now lol

I tested it out across Steam, GOG, and Epic Games Store versions and it works like a charm. Thank you. I took a bit of liberty and editing the legals.png and PhotoSensitiveWarning.png files and tweaked the original copyrights text to make them aligned more towards the center of the screen and so far works with the edits I've made. If you want, I can send the modified text screens over.

Screenshot of the readjusted copyrights text in windowed mode in 1440p:

explorer-2022_08_20_19-43-48.jpg.8d4f154b8bb9cd1433ceff92c967b35a.jpg

34 minutes ago, AmethystViper said:

I tested it out across Steam, GOG, and Epic Games Store versions and it works like a charm. Thank you. I took a bit of liberty and editing the legals.png and PhotoSensitiveWarning.png files and tweaked the original copyrights text to make them aligned more towards the center of the screen and so far works with the edits I've made. If you want, I can send the modified text screens over.

Screenshot of the readjusted copyrights text in windowed mode in 1440p:

Hide contents

explorer-2022_08_20_19-43-48.jpg.8d4f154b8bb9cd1433ceff92c967b35a.jpg

Sure, send it my way and I'll think about putting it in the next update, whenever that may be.

Thank you for including the re-centered copyrights screen I sent your way! Also if you're wondering about repairing patched versions of the game's files, while I don't have Doom 64 in my Xbox library, I do have some other games on the Xbox App and installed games have a Verify and Repair function by clicking the vertical dots button next to the desired game and selecting ManageFiles.

There was a BFG bug in the original game which also happens in the remastered version. Basically BFGGC0 is based on BFGGA0 sprite, but all firing frames render during BFGGB0 sprite being present on the screen. So BFGGC0 is both misplaced during the animation and doesn't match the weapon sprite.

Here is a fixed version of the sprite:

BFGGC0.png.46528cd99be06905d80c7bd3f4d110b2.png

Correct offsets are -98 -116

23 minutes ago, PKr said:

There was a BFG bug in the original game which also happens in the remastered version. Basically BFGGC0 is based on BFGGA0 sprite, but all firing frames render during BFGGB0 sprite being present on the screen. So BFGGC0 is both misplaced during the animation and doesn't match the weapon sprite.

Here is a fixed version of the sprite:

BFGGC0.png.46528cd99be06905d80c7bd3f4d110b2.png

Correct offsets are -98 -116

If it was in the original N64 version, then I'm not really interested in putting it in my pack. Cool info though.

11 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

If it was in the original N64 version, then I'm not really interested in putting it in my pack. Cool info though.

I see. The chaingun was also misaligned in the N64 version.

34 minutes ago, PKr said:

I see. The chaingun was also misaligned in the N64 version.

How so? From my testing I don't see the difference between the N64 and Remaster's chaingun animation.

30 minutes ago, OpenRift said:

How so? From my testing I don't see the difference between the N64 and Remaster's chaingun animation.

Maybe your tv hides bottom scanlines or something?

It can be seen on a monitor though (~1:50):

P.S. Just to be clear, did you mean that both versions do or don't have misaligned chaingun sprite?

Edited by PKr

1 hour ago, PKr said:

Maybe your tv hides bottom scanlines or something?

It can be seen on a monitor though (~1:50):

P.S. Just to be clear, did you mean that both versions do or don't have misaligned chaingun sprite?

I just tested it in a graphically accurate N64 emulator (simple64) and it doesn't have a misaligned chaingun sprite. I've also checked several other gameplay videos on the N64 and it doesn't do that. I don't know why it does that in that video, but judging by the weird outline on the weapon sprites I think it might be that the "N64 footage" here was actually recorded in an emulator with a really inaccurate graphics plugin.