Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hervoheebo

The Long Trek Back Home [Doom2 vanilla megawad] 1.1 released

How i miss a release from the author of ''The Journey'', one of my all time favourite mapsets ever?

Going to try this right now!!!

I played through this and had quite a bit of fun overall!  It's certainly a throwback to the classic and rather abstract style of level design, which I feel may be difficult to appreciate for some, but I know Doom 2 quite well and this wad felt very nostalgic despite playing it for the first time.  I hope more folks check out this megawad, and I'll have to check out The Journey as well.  Thanks for making this!  Below are some vods of the playthrough:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1211663419

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1212027220

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1212431077

Edited by Vile

Been playing this, and man!
Wow, the abstract nature of this maps seriously screwed my mind.
I'm loving it! :D

Even when the maps are the ones we know, they are really different thanks to all the debris and destruction.
I love the concept, great work @hervoheebo
;)

I'm surprised nobody even mentioned this one on other threads.
It almost went unnoticed, so i will help a bit tagging some friends.

@Doomkid here is another great mapset for the Big Vanilla WAD Pack.
@Scypek2 you may find interesting the abstract nature on this mapset.
@Maximum Matt come enjoy this old schooliness!!!
@Endless this one need to be covered on the wadazine. Probably a new hidden gem!!!

4 hours ago, P41R47 said:

@Scypek2 you may find interesting the abstract nature on this mapset.

I was confused when you said that, since when do I even like abstraction? But I played through the first few maps, and now I get it. This megawad doesn't employ the popular kind of "abstraction" that's just a result of prioritizing gameplay. It's a more amplified feeling of abstraction created by combining Doom's usual lack of realism with the impression that I'm not meant to be in those spaces I'm visiting, and if any of them were meant to be traversed, they no longer are. Very interesting for sure, I'll have to check out more of it.

Wait just a moment, has this also been tested and works w/ Crispy Doom? If not, I won't experience any problems if I have this set up in Woof instead w/ -complevel 2, right?

9 hours ago, VoanHead said:

Wait just a moment, has this also been tested and works w/ Crispy Doom? If not, I won't experience any problems if I have this set up in Woof instead w/ -complevel 2, right?

No it hasn't, but it's been tested with Chocolate Doom so it should work with any vanilla compatible port. There are also some instances of port-friendly constructs, like a pit with a monster in it which you can't drop into in vanilla because of infinitely tall monsters, but which you can escape in true-height conditions because of a normally hidden switch that raises the pit.

Started playing this today, really enjoying it. But I got stuck in MAP04; the northernmost teleporter sent me to a little room (hidden from the automap) that is empty except for a teleporter that just sends me back to the same position in which I entered that room:

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20211126_190651.png.ab63f81f9c7afd1501793ec0336c1bd0.png

10 hours ago, Salt-Man Z said:

Started playing this today, really enjoying it. But I got stuck in MAP04; the northernmost teleporter sent me to a little room (hidden from the automap) that is empty except for a teleporter that just sends me back to the same position in which I entered that room:

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20211126_190651.png.ab63f81f9c7afd1501793ec0336c1bd0.png

Spoiler

There are 3 single-use fake teleport lines and 1 reusable real one, you have to keep going until you get the real one. Sometimes you may skip a fake one with the line-ignoring bug when going fast enough.

19 hours ago, Master O said:

@hervoheebo Are the level names going to remain the same or will you give them new names to reflect how it's supposed to be a long trek back home?

If you mean the names as they are supposed to be (map01 is "Icon of Sin", map02 is "The Living End"...), then that's how they are intended, they never have had different names meant for them. Seeing as they are directly based on the corresponding level from Doom2 although with some crossover (Map10: "Nirvana" and Map11: "Gotcha!"). Some of them have the opportunity for a double meaning, like with "Entryway" since the original meaning is no longer appropriate or has not been repeated exactly, like with "Gotcha!" where the eponymous situation happens right before the end now.

If you mean the automap names being the same as in the respective slots in Doom2, that is because the .deh file hasn't been loaded, those are changed to the above. Although space restrictions meant that the "Level ##:" part had to be dropped.

Also the intermission names will probably be altered visually since during the last hours before releasing I happened to look at the rejects and saw the reason "unmodified Id Software assets", which is what the level name graphics were. Cue another "you moron!!!" moment since the exact same thing happened with SWake where I had to quickly make a new rock texture since the fake-contrast system I used necessitated using the unmodified original graphic for another entry. So you can see the level name graphics in LongTrek are crudely darkened a bit to get around that rule which probably crushed the colors somewhat. They'll be edited better since I have the time now, I really wanted to hit sept 30 because that's kind of Doom2's birthday ;)

You should update the title/intermission/ending artwork to be widescreen compatible so this can be played properly on the Unity port.

17 hours ago, hervoheebo said:

So you can see the level name graphics in LongTrek are crudely darkened a bit to get around that rule which probably crushed the colors somewhat.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can use Dehacked to modify which lump is called by the exe, I remember seeing a DEH file where the music tracks were shuffled without adding any actual music lumps, simply by using Dehacked to replace calls to eg D_RUNNIN with D_READ_M. If it really does work like this then you could use the DEH to replace CWILV00 with CWILV29, and so on.

the intermission screen and hud are both amazing, any chance there's widescreen versions?

5 hours ago, JackBoi said:

the intermission screen and hud are both amazing, any chance there's widescreen versions?

The interpic was tiled horizontally so that it could also be used for the episode 1 sky, here is a centered extension:

lGbtiga.png

For the status bar I extended the base and then shrunk it down and affixed it underneath the original and added the details, the new space is filled by 2 empty "panels":

yV6tc8v.png

The widths are 133% of the original. Note also that the graphics are expected to be stretched 20% vertically as usual with Doom graphics.

I don't know how to make them work in-game though, with (G)Zdoom or something.

17 hours ago, brick said:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can use Dehacked to modify which lump is called by the exe, I remember seeing a DEH file where the music tracks were shuffled without adding any actual music lumps, simply by using Dehacked to replace calls to eg D_RUNNIN with D_READ_M. If it really does work like this then you could use the DEH to replace CWILV00 with CWILV29, and so on.

That sounds interesting, although, the secret levels will still need new ones since the names are changed. I've not found how to do this yet however. Makes me miss Raven's way of constructing the level names from strings, now!

2 hours ago, hervoheebo said:

That sounds interesting, although, the secret levels will still need new ones since the names are changed. I've not found how to do this yet however.

Those won't be a problem for idgames though, because they'd be made from scratch and therefore not match any IWAD resources.

(also, I find the whole IWAD duplication rule incredibly weird and inconsistent, there are multiple wads on the archives that use IWAD resources, including many Cacoward-winning ones)

If you want to generate the CWILV lumps for the secret levels from scratch, there are utilities that can do this from a text string that you can then save as a graphic. I've used one in the past but can't remember the name, I'll look it up and let you know if I find it. Then you'd just use Dehacked to reassign levels 1-30, and add new CWILV30 and CWILV31 lumps with the newly-generated titles. (also, MAPINFO-supporting ports can generate those graphics on the fly in the same way that Heretic does)

12 hours ago, hervoheebo said:

The interpic was tiled horizontally so that it could also be used for the episode 1 sky, here is a centered extension:

lGbtiga.png

For the status bar I extended the base and then shrunk it down and affixed it underneath the original and added the details, the new space is filled by 2 empty "panels":

yV6tc8v.png

The widths are 133% of the original. Note also that the graphics are expected to be stretched 20% vertically as usual with Doom graphics.

thanks!

I don't know how to make them work in-game though, with (G)Zdoom or something.

oh dont worry thats easy to do, heres a link to a wad that will do it. i've already done this and linked it, however if you ever need to do this again simply create a new wad file with the widescreen assets (preferably with them converted from .png) and ports like woof, dsda-doom, gzdoom and crispy doom (im sure theres more i am forgetting) will be able to use it. you'll probably want to name the second .wad file something obvious like "widescreen.wad" (thats what i've named the version in that link). as far as i know there isnt anything fancy you need to do to the textures, and they should just work if you load them after the first wad so they override the 4x3 versions. heres how they look in-game using dsda-doom:
status bar:
https://imgur.com/3j8mjLq
intermission screen:
https://imgur.com/X81zZg4

(i have no idea how to embed images)

On 12/2/2021 at 4:00 AM, brick said:

Those won't be a problem for idgames though, because they'd be made from scratch and therefore not match any IWAD resources.

(also, I find the whole IWAD duplication rule incredibly weird and inconsistent, there are multiple wads on the archives that use IWAD resources, including many Cacoward-winning ones)

If you want to generate the CWILV lumps for the secret levels from scratch, there are utilities that can do this from a text string that you can then save as a graphic. I've used one in the past but can't remember the name, I'll look it up and let you know if I find it. Then you'd just use Dehacked to reassign levels 1-30, and add new CWILV30 and CWILV31 lumps with the newly-generated titles. (also, MAPINFO-supporting ports can generate those graphics on the fly in the same way that Heretic does)

The program I have used is called DoomWord: Letters on Earth, however it should be noted that the input yields a slightly different output compared to the same map name in the original: adjacent letters are separated instead of being merged with a 1 pixel strip of the outlines being shared. So anyway I ended up modifying the big text font's letters , ' and !, then constructing the level names again from them. The modified font has the following changes:
-The shade of grey is 1 step darker
-Outline is 1 shade lighter at the top and 1 shade darker at the bottom
-Anti-aliasing changes near the inner outlines
-Specks of light tan high lights

The results are rather subtle but the same level name in this font is faithful to the original look while still being different, enough to deal with the rule in good faith:

https://i.imgur.com/FLZ07Mx.gif

The font itself, which the reader is free to use: IVF57Sp.png

On 12/2/2021 at 2:35 PM, JackBoi said:

thanks!

oh dont worry thats easy to do, heres a link to a wad that will do it. i've already done this and linked it, however if you ever need to do this again simply create a new wad file with the widescreen assets (preferably with them converted from .png) and ports like woof, dsda-doom, gzdoom and crispy doom (im sure theres more i am forgetting) will be able to use it. you'll probably want to name the second .wad file something obvious like "widescreen.wad" (thats what i've named the version in that link). as far as i know there isnt anything fancy you need to do to the textures, and they should just work if you load them after the first wad so they override the 4x3 versions. heres how they look in-game using dsda-doom:
status bar:
intermission screen:

(i have no idea how to embed images)

Thanks. For the images, it automatically embeds them when I add a direct image link-- note, direct, these image uploading sites always try to get you to use their silly pages and make it hard to get the link for just the image.

On 12/2/2021 at 2:44 PM, Master O said:

@hervoheebo

I see! Thanks for the feed back.

Now another thing I've been anxious to hear about is that one sequence in MAP08: Barrels o' Fun.

Spoiler

In the final part of the barrel factory there's an empty hall and within a slightly elaborate corridor there is a 'self-destruct' switch. Hitting it will start a sequence where a doll is moved slightly by a crushed barrel, unfortunately also damaging the player 1%, which triggers a bunch of things that cause explosions to be heard around the player and the facility being 'caved in'. If the player doesn't run out quickly, he will be killed by a barrel chain killing a doll. 
Now this is a rather brazen thing to do because it is not necessarily clear at all that the switch will cause things like that, and then the player has to know exactly where to go in a short time or die. It doesn't help that this is one of the levels where saving the game always crashes the game in vanilla, which would otherwise be a very sensible thing to do before hitting an extremely suspicious switch. 
So I've not heard anything on this, in testing or after release, which might be a good thing, but feedback would be welcome for possible changes in the new version.

22 hours ago, hervoheebo said:

Now another thing I've been anxious to hear about is that one sequence in MAP08: Barrels o' Fun.

That section did give me some trouble--but nothing serious, as I saved before hitting the switch and use GZDoom (so no vanilla crashes.) I think I only died once or twice before realizing what was going on. (The fact that the ceiling comes down as a crusher made it initially less than obvious that it was a voodoo doll deal.) Once I had that figured, it still took a few tires to find the proper path out, though I'm not sure how I overlooked it on my way in in the first place. Probably half a dozen attempts in total.

Map08 changes:

Spoiler

The autodestruction sequence has the following changes so far:

-The barrel chain leading to instant death is longer. Crushers adjusted, total time to find the exit is longer
-The corridor's ceiling is higher which gives more time to leave it before being crushed
-Voodoo doll is better protected by the closing door, so player should no longer take damage upon successful exit
-Stimpak added in front of the autodestruction switch to compensate for the initial doll damage
-Lift to the earlier area and its switch are also covered by the crushers
-Central pillar reshaped and moved slightly so that it blocks less of the view when exiting the corridor
-Backyard wall near blood pool adjusted: another inaccessible ledge with sky view added so that the sky can be seen when escaping from the factory.

In the general interests of: giving the player a chance of running out of the corridor, then seeing the goal, and not being distracted by the lift, which is no way out. (The BFG is intentionally there as a potentially deadly distraction if it wasn't grabbed before.) Instant death ought to be synced more closely with crushers coming down; as an assurance method if the player is trapped in an area without crushers. 

Played through again and these are the level changes so far:

Spoiler

MAP02
-Line 59: better alignment
-Geometry altered south of sector 89 (one of the stair switches). It was possible to jump down here
and become stuck.

-Staircase area to the end is brightness 144 instead of 112
-Stair switches now use the SKIN switch (eye on tan flesh) unused elsewhere in the level. Switch's
sector outside of the green brick building (sector 238) raised 8 units
-Outside green brick building: platform with stair switch has a tall green torch to match the other
stair switch. The nearby platform has a short blue torch now.

MAP08

-(the changes in previous post)
-Sector 437 (teleport out of exit area) now has effect 8 (Light Glows 1+ sec)
-Line 742: better alignment
-Autodestruction hall: texture changes

MAP09
-Sector 492 missing texture added

MAP10
-Portal to original start room: floor lowered 16 units (sectors 195, 198)

MAP12
-Line 1566: better alignment
-Line 485 etc.: better autoalignment
-Line 1182: better alignment

MAP13
-New secret area immediately north of sector 37 (teleporter in blue room). It was possible to jump
north into the corner from the teleporter and become stuck.
-Line 664: better alignment

MAP14
-Metal walls of lines 1670, 1669 near starting area: better alignment
-Multiplayer only: 2 new radiation suits

MAP16
-Wooden warehouse building: better alignment

MAP17
-Door track texture of switch closet to re-raise stairs out of revenant/archvile place: changed to
blue lights (lines 1671, 1673)

MAP18
-Sector 4 (interior gray marble building): 2x mancubus: changed to pain elemental and pig
-Some auto-alignment

MAP19
-Stairs added inside the beginning building (sectors 456 & 457) that allow you to return to the earlier
area from the lobby

-Line 1559: better alignment
-Necropolis: Spider, Zombie and Construct quarters have had their teleport closets activate by
lowering floor instead of door (mostly under-the-hood) and teleport in additional monsters after a
secondary closet's 768-height floor has finished lowering.

MAP25
-Texture alignment on symbol wall (line 694 - 755)

MAP27
-Fixed misaligned textures on viny marble walls (lines 246, 264, 263)

MAP28
-Line 1740 (border of lava and exit area) is now monster-blocking again, so the barons don't leave the
room into the lava.

MAP29
-Line 2455: no longer lower unpegged. Room auto-aligned

MAP30
-Lines 4786, 4412, 4413, 4331, 4328, 4405: better alignment

Remarks on some specifics:

MAP18 Downtown

-Sector 4 (interior gray marble building): 2x mancubus: changed to pain elemental and pig

This is a dead end or 'bad place' which is never supposed to be a particular destination, so the
monsters are supposed to be kind of a trap. They were mancubi like in the original, but this was
really annoying given the new entries where you jump in from above to the main floor. They would usually block
you invisibly with infinite height and then do huge damage at close range. For that reason they have
been changed to different monsters that are less immediately dangerous.

Pic: https://i.imgur.com/td1T1r4.png

MAP19 The Factory
-Necropolis: Spider, Zombie and Construct quarters have had their teleport closets activate by
lowering floor instead of door (mostly under-the-hood) and teleport in additional monsters after a
secondary closet's 768-height floor has finished lowering.

The 4 wings use the 'close door and open after 30 sec' line type, which is a bit inflexible since the
duration is fixed. The armor and health items were scattered around the rooms to give you something to
do if you killed the monsters early and hit the switch but there would still often be awkward empty
time where you just have to wait. For some reason it didn't cross my mind to have a delayed trigger to
teleport in a second wave. The mechanism for freeing the monsters is changed to a floor type since if
you have a tall door that is sunk into the floor to make it open slower, like the exit doors in MAP23
Tricks and Traps, the monsters can't cross it since the height difference is too big even if it isn't
possible to fall in. No additional ammo is given since it feels like there's enough already, plus this
is the final new area in the level, so all the previous ammo in the level was available for picking
already which in total should make for a decent extra amount.

MAP28 The Gantlet
-Line 1740 (border of lava and exit area) is now monster-blocking again, so the barons don't leave the
room into the lava.

This was considered a bug. The border has been changed to the rotating skull thingy (cosmetic change), but
the monster-blocking flag was lost in the process.

Pic: https://i.imgur.com/aOhila9.png (step with red lines blocks monsters)

Spoiler

GENERAL
-The DeHackEd patch file has been included in the WAD file as a lump. The same file is still also included loose for use with executables that don't have integrated DEH support (for example, doom2.exe: must be patched separately with DeHackEd)
-The map names for the intermission screen have been redone, with some anti-aliasing and other touching up in addition to contrast being slightly higher than the original equivalent names.
-DEMO3 re-recorded due to changes desyncing
-TITLEPIC updated with version number

MAP01
-Line 346: better alignment

MAP02
-Line 59: better alignment
-Line 757: texture shifted down 8 to prevent tutti-frutti
-Line 1383: shifted slightly to counter the 'elastic collisions' bug which seemed to happen rather often here
-Geometry altered south of sector 89 (one of the stair switches). It was possible to jump down here and become stuck.
-Staircase area to the end is brightness 144 instead of 112
-Stair switches now use the SKIN switch (eye on tan flesh) unused elsewhere in the level. Switch's sector outside of the green brick building (sector 238) raised 8 units
-Outside green brick building: platform with stair switch has a tall green torch to match the other stair switch. The nearby platform has a short blue torch now.

MAP03
-Lines 56, 41: shifted textures to prevent tutti-frutti
-Line 263: upper texture changed to prevent tutti-frutti

MAP04
-Line 660, etc.: better alignment

MAP05
-The megasphere area accessed by a door opening automatically after 5 minutes (sector 60) is no longer counted as a secret area. Instead, the fifth secret is now the pain elemental closet opening in the corpse room (sector 376).

MAP06
-Rock wall near berserker lift in start area (line 496): now lower unpegged so it doesn't move with the door
-Ceiling section near the exit (sector 71): flat changed to match the rest of the room

MAP08
-Sector 437 (teleport out of exit area) now has effect 8 (Light Glows 1+ sec)
-Line 742: better alignment
-Autodestruction hall: 
 -Texture changes
 -The barrel chain leading to instant death is longer. Crushers adjusted, total time to find the exit is longer
 -The corridor's ceiling is higher which gives more time to leave it before being crushed
 -Voodoo doll is better protected by the closing door, so player should no longer take damage upon successful exit
 -Stimpak added in front of the autodestruction switch to compensate for the initial doll damage
 -Lift to the earlier area and its switch are also covered by the crushers
 -Central pillar reshaped and moved slightly so that it blocks less of the view when exiting the corridor
 -Backyard wall near blood pool adjusted: another inaccessible ledge with sky view added so that the sky can be seen when escaping from the factory.

MAP09
-Line 492 missing texture added
-Sector 172: ceiling raised to 2048, brightness changed to 208 (mostly cosmetic) 

MAP10
-Portal to original start room: floor lowered 16 units (sectors 195, 198)
-Line 889: type changed to 38 to prevent crash in vanilla. Useless inherited tag removed from secret sector 270
-Line 202: texture changed to match opposite side

MAP12
-Line 1566: better alignment
-Line 485 etc.: better autoalignment
-Line 1182: better alignment
-Line 1178 etc.: textures changed to hide misalignment when door opens
-4 candles added to lost soul alcoves 43 & 44

MAP13
-New secret area immediately north of sector 37 (teleporter in blue room). It was possible to jump north into the corner from the teleporter and become stuck.
-Line 664: better alignment

MAP14
-Metal walls of lines 1670, 1669 near starting area: better alignment
-Multiplayer only: 2 new radiation suits

MAP16
-Wooden warehouse building exterior: better alignment

MAP17
-Door track texture of switch closet to re-raise stairs out of revenant/archvile place: changed to blue lights (lines 1671, 1673)
-Line 2241, etc.: better alignment

MAP18
-Some auto-alignment
-Line 788, 1083, etc.: better alignment
-Line triggers that lower door to final lift building: type changed to 38

MAP19
-Stairs added inside the beginning building (sectors 456 & 457) that allow you to return to the earlier area from the lobby
-Line 1559: better alignment
-Necropolis: Spider, Zombie and Construct quarters have had their teleport closets activate by lowering floor instead of door (mostly under-the-hood) and teleport in additional monsters after a secondary closet's 768-height floor has finished lowering.

MAP20
-'Collapsing bridge' sections, sectors 116, 117: can also be activated by using them from the sides.
-Secret in sector 477: second plasma gun added
-New construct added in front of grated window out of dark green area as a counter-visplane measure. The platform has a mancubus. 4 shells added. The existing nearby mancubus has been changed into a cacodemon.

MAP22
-Sectors 123 and 124: embiggened to fix the sky leaking in vanilla

MAP25
-Texture alignment on symbol wall (line 694 - 755)
-Soulsphere 426: changed to invulnerability

MAP26
-Music track (D_MESSG2) modified

MAP27
-Fixed misaligned textures on viny marble walls (lines 246, 264, 263)
-Steps in the starting area: textures changed to prevent tutti-frutti, and for consistency's sake

MAP28
-Line 1740 (border of lava and exit area) is now monster-blocking again, so the barons don't leave the room into the lava.

MAP29
-Line 2455: no longer lower unpegged. Room auto-aligned

MAP30
-Lines 4786, 4412, 4413, 4331, 4328, 4405: better alignment
-Box of Ammo added to sector 359 northwest (moat around effigy)
-Line 3714: lift's texture changed

MAP31
-Fixed an inoperative door (sector 157)

MAP32
-Line 550: back lower texture changed to prevent tutti-frutti

Some tutti-frutti errors were found and corrected after playing through it again on Chocolate Doom, those and texture alignment stuff comprise the bulk of the changes. 

Ho Ho Ho. The updated version was completed and submitted on the 22nd and it is now available on the archive. The change log is above.

Some tutti-frutti errors were found and corrected after playing through it again on Chocolate Doom, those and texture alignment stuff comprise the bulk of the changes. 

The most drastic change was done late: I was re-recording the DEMO3 (Circle of Death) due to desyncing... and it bombed out with a visplane overflow! It's nothing I found earlier, by Visplane Explorer or manually, but looking out from this window (0) at a certain position caused an overflow; the structure with the mancubus (1) was added to block the view.
https://i.imgur.com/uscARCr.png
On the other hand, the platforms were pretty far away from here, and from the inside, there were little opportunities to fight enemies other than fliers. This new mancubus is much closer than the other one that was already here (2), which makes him a better threat, and the one below the ledge in the dark area was changed to a cacodemon (3) because his shots kept impotently hitting the ledge which made him kind of a joke.

That's that, then, hopefully. I'm reticent about doing updated versions not because of the additional work but because of the strategic danger. If you get into the kind of thinking that you can always "just patch it later", you'll get less serious about making the initial version the one that sticks, one that doesn't need any updates. And for the player it can be disrespectful, as repeatedly getting suckered in to play half-finished releases will instill disenchantment.

Still, if there is some new grim discovery like another stuck spot or reasonable visplane overflow, yet another patch might have to be done... hopefully not...

It seems that the bugginess of games is proportional to the patching capabilities of the systems they're on. I always found that interesting. Even Doom went through quite a few patches ;)

By the way, if some change makes a level look different than its screen shot in the help or credits image, that's not considered a bug... less work, sure, but I think that the story of the shot's difference from the real thing is a quality all its own. Kind of like those early Doom 2 screen shots that are used everywhere... Industrial Zone with Phobos sky.

Hmmm, come to think of it, I might start using your remixed tracks as a partial music replacement for Doom II: I have already created one using Doom 1's music to replace the repeated tracks, but your remixes are in a way more faithful to Id Software's original design decisions.

8 hours ago, NaliSeed said:

I'm stuck in the freaking  Chasm.😬

1. Go to the metal building, up the stairs, then hit the switch behind the fence.
2. Go back and cross the lowered platform with the spectres. Use the elevator and get the red key. Then go up the stairs in the cavern, open the red door and drop down.
3. Get to the main chasm. The teleport nearby takes you up.
4. Go behind you to the dark cave. Go through it until you get to another chasm with a blue floor (it hurts.)
5. Walk across the ledges to the top. Hit the switch and take note how the blue floor has risen behind you.
6. Go through the base area back to the start and go back to the main chasm.
7. Take the teleport again, and go back to the blue floor area. It has risen now and you can walk across to a new area with the yellow key (take a radiation suit from the main chasm if you don't want to get hurt.)
8. Back to the main chasm again, up with the teleport, and walk across the ledge to the yellow door. Open it and continue through the other yellow door on the other side.
9. Drop down on the other side of the tall ledge, the side you can't access from the floor. 
10. There is a blue key here, take it before leaving through a cave opening.
11. Passing by the sergeants, there is a new chasm with water and tall columns. Go up the stairs and through the caves until you get to the columns again.
12. Jump from column to column and get to the cave opening with the blue torch. 
13. Open the blue door and return to the corridor between the yellow doors.
14. Open the second blue door and go into the base. Kill the mancubi. You can use the computer to activate the lifts.
15. Kill the arachnotrons.
16. Climb the stair and drop down.
17. Take cover from the spiderdemon and cyberdemon in the small opening with a teleporter. There are 3 such openings in this chamber and you can quickly teleport between them in a cycle by going back through the teleporter you came from. 
18. Try to get the bosses to fight each other. The invisibility scatters the spider's bullets enough that he sometimes hits the cyberdemon. Otherwise, you might have to run around in the chamber proper to get the bosses to hit each other.
19. Once they are dead, hit a skull switch, which lowers a platform. Go there and hit the newly revealed switch. Repeat this until you get to the exit. The passage on the right takes you back to the blue room, otherwise, go straight forward to exit.

18 hours ago, Rudolph said:

Hmmm, come to think of it, I might start using your remixed tracks as a partial music replacement for Doom II: I have already created one using Doom 1's music to replace the repeated tracks, but your remixes are in a way more faithful to Id Software's original design decisions.

I see, sure, most of them have some more obvious changes, I will list the ones with the least changes so it's easier to see what's different:

D_countd - Map03 The Spirit World (Getting Too Tense): orchestra drum kit instead of standard

D_betwee - Map04 Monster Condo (Waiting for Romero to Play): no changes

D_doom - Map05 The Abandoned Mines (Message for the Archvile): no changes

D_ddtbl3 - Map22 The Pit (Into Sandy's City): main melody track cloned, transposed higher, changed instrument to consistent choir aahs, power drum kit instead of standard

D_read_m - Story (Read Me): orchestra drum kit instead of standard

Up to MAP07 and really enjoying this one, these are clever reinterpretations of the original maps seen from a new perspective that feel familiar but also unsettling and strange. It's something I'm surprised hasn't been done before, because the idea clearly has potential and this mapset really shows that!

31 minutes ago, VisionThing said:

Up to MAP07 and really enjoying this one, these are clever reinterpretations of the original maps seen from a new perspective that feel familiar but also unsettling and strange. It's something I'm surprised hasn't been done before, because the idea clearly has potential and this mapset really shows that!

Look up Switcheroom I and II: it does something fairly similar.