Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MFG38

[FINAL] Literalism (Release Thread)

Crippling Vestiphobia by @muumi  is by far my favourite.

Lunar Chasm by @Danlex is close second, but it misses a climax like number one + the tight plattform section, where you become a clay pidgeon for 3E^10 demons is just not fun

and here is my playthrough of rest of the wad

map18

map19

btw that doomcute toaster was best thing I have seen in doom for a while!

map20

map21

map22

map23

map24

map25

I did not understand the exit, does it work as intended?

map26

Edited by muumi

47 minutes ago, muumi said:

map19

btw that doomcute toaster was best thing I have seen in doom for a while!

*Mapper makes a giant map with 200+ shootable walls, an Archvile breaking through a wall, and an entire house collapsing around the player*

Player: This toaster sure is cute!

But seriously, thanks for playing man. I see you found some bugs, including an inescaple pit. I fixed like 10 of those but I guess I missed one. This map was way too big and ambitious to make. I really should have scaled it down. 

Btw, that secret platform you were trying to reach just has a few health potions. Nothing worthwhile. But people kept trying to reach it so I made it a secret.

The way to get to it is by jumping, walking over shootable walls (without shooting them), using a rocket jump, or some very, very difficult platforming. 

Hello!
I've been meaning to do speedrun demos of this wad and post them on DSDA, although in this case that isn't possible because the same rules apply, proprietary id Software stuff cannot be illegally hosted there either (just like /idgames). Would it be possible to fix this by simply replacing the Doom 1 patches, flats and textures from the maps that contain them? I've also gotten word that there are certain tools to automate this to make it easier. This would both ensure an /idgames release and also a possibilty for me to do my speedruns and have them kept in the books.

Whether it's a yes or no, I'd appreciate a reply and perhaps some more info on this.
I've also talked about this wad in particular in the speedrunning Discord and the DSDA site hosts could strip the Doom 1 resources from the wad and upload something that would work there, although of course more info on everything Doom 1 would be needed to be provided, and of course it would only mean a DSDA site upload.

Played Map06. Not a fan that the Red Key Switch seems to lead you to the start to create confusion. It's a pretty great map, although I would appreciate more if you're forced to the fight the Cyber on the thin ledges without giving you the option to telefrag him.

16 hours ago, Krull said:

Why not just make some trivial modifications to the offending textures so they qualify as new material? E.g. swapping some colours for slightly different shades. 

Hey yeah, that's an idea. I'll see what I can come up with.

38 minutes ago, Caleb13 said:

I know it's too late, but there is a large HOM in MAP23. It becomes visible when you use lift sector 161.

I thought I pushed out an update to fix that. Or are you playing an older version, perhaps?

Feels good a project my humble contribution is in has been mentioned in this year's Cacowards.

4 minutes ago, SilverMiner said:

Map10 lacks "DOPEFISH" and Map25 lacks "N5META56" textures. I have no idea where to get these

Neither do I. Neither texture ever appeared in any .wad file that was sent to me back during development.

@MFG38 mummi found that the random monster generator broke and if it is okay i am going to see if i can fix or just remove it. it was a spur of the momment thing.

-e1 or this is uploaded to id archives already or is there an overzelous editor on the wiki?

-e2. i think i know what happened. I forgot to link two sectors with sound, it is a simple fix but ill wait on your okay.

Edited by NeedHealth

On 12/17/2021 at 1:28 PM, MFG38 said:

Neither do I. Neither texture ever appeared in any .wad file that was sent to me back during development.

I found a dopefish patch in one of my folders, but I don't know where I ripped it from.

The N5METAxx is from the @NiGHTMARE texture wad nb5texd2, but the numbers only go up to 54. There is no N5META56, unless he added patches to it for some other project since 2002.

DOPEFISH.png

Edit: I forgot to look in the Texture1. N5META56 is a combo of two patches. And I forgot to post the link for the wad. Holiday brain-fry.

https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/downloads/texture-stock/199-5th-episode-texture-pack

Edited by EffinghamHuffnagel

On 12/10/2021 at 4:31 PM, Pistoolkip said:

we got a mention in the "21 more for '21"

holy shit i feel so special, even if my map did kinda suck. i actually contributed to something for once ;-;

Edited by roadworx

15 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

mummi found that the random monster generator broke and if it is okay i am going to see if i can fix or just remove it.

Yeah, go ahead.

11 hours ago, EffinghamHuffnagel said:

I found a dopefish patch in one of my folders

[...]

N5META56 is a combo of two patches.

Thanks! I'm amazed how it never occurred to me to double-check TEXTURE1 of the source texture pack either.

Any update on fixing the WAD's problem with containing ID Software resources so that we can see an idgames release, and respectively have the ability to do speedrun demos of the WAD? I remember coming in and mentioning an easy solution to the problem using SLADE, I'd like to know whether that's in the works or if an idgames release doesn't matter?

23 hours ago, Daniel, the NCR Veteran said:

Any update on fixing the WAD's problem with containing ID Software resources so that we can see an idgames release, and respectively have the ability to do speedrun demos of the WAD?

Oh right, I was gonna do that.

I'll get around to it next weekend.

Hi, I'm trying to play the final idgames release of the megawad and I keep getting the same 'R_InitTextures: 32 errors' error message on both PrBoom+ and DSDA-Doom. Is there a way I can fix this so I can finally play the megawad?

4 hours ago, El Franko said:

Hi, I'm trying to play the final idgames release of the megawad and I keep getting the same 'R_InitTextures: 32 errors' error message on both PrBoom+ and DSDA-Doom. Is there a way I can fix this so I can finally play the megawad?

Hi! This is a known issue with the version released on idgames at the moment. MFG38 sent over a new version to be verified by the idgames uploaders. This version's errors are entirely my fault due to removing too many duplicate IWAD textures, however MFG38 has fixed this and now it's just a waiting game. Currently, the wad is in the incoming directory but it should be checked soon by the uploaders.

10 hours ago, El Franko said:

Basically what Daniel said. Temporary solution is to use the version available on my website. That build actually works and is identical to the one I submitted to /idgames, so it shouldn't pose any problems versioning-wise.

On 5/24/2023 at 3:50 PM, MFG38 said:

Temporary solution is to use the version available on my website.

Well, I guess make that a permanent solution. Just checked the /idgames incoming directory and the updated file is neither on the archive nor in the reject list. I even explained the situation in an .msg file and the update just disappears without a trace. As if I hadn't had a shitty enough week.

So, PSA to whoever still wants to play this: DON'T download the /idgames version. Use the one on my website instead. If anyone wants to record speedruns of the thing, the wad has been stripped of the few duplicate resources from DOOM2.WAD, so it should at least qualify for DSDA.