Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Deviant Force

Most Hated Map

Map 21 "Nirvarna".

It's just so plain fucking ugly! A major letdown after having completed map 20 and looking forward to see Doom2's rendition of hell.

The only redeeming feature of this one is the possibility of knocking closely packed imps off pillars with rockets. That's always fun.

I hate the crusher since I just have a hard time getting through it for some reason it took me like 18 minutes to get through it the first time not including all the time's i died.

I like all of them. Faves are probably 09, 13, 14, 19 and 23, but my preferences vary.

downtown is a pretty cool map imo. Maybe not as city-ish as it could've been, but still nice.

meh, bloodfalls is one of the absolutely best ep3 maps. Icon of sin = Icon of shit though.

Oh, I never liked Suburbs (map16) either. Primarily because I felt that it failed to give any impression of a cityscape. Just some random incredibly bland structures.

The only thing of any real interest is the starting building (or maybe the teleporting horde).

In terms of crappiness, here is my top 5:

1: Map21 - Boring gameplay. Stupid use of textures. Severely underdetailed.
2: Map32 - That stupid Keen easter egg inadvertedly kept me from dooming in several years.
3: Map16 - Butt-ugly building and no sense of place.
4: Map22 - Nothing wrong, but this level is devoid of "sexiness". Also it is over once you have just "warmed up". Should have been bigger.
5: Map30 - Doom2's boss fight ain't that interesting when you come to think of it.

I enjoy doom2, even the not so impressive map21. Downtown is a fine level with great gameplay. To my knowledge no one had bothered to try and make a 'city' with the Doom engine until then so cut it some slack. Besides you know what kind of timetable the id level designers were on? I'm sure if they had the kind of time 3drealms has (ahem Duke Forever) then the levels would reflect this.

My most unloved Doom map is House of Pain, not for the design or gameplay which is good, but the texturing is hideous.

I can't believe Cyraptor hates the chasm! that levels is great!

Use3D said:

My most unloved Doom map is House of Pain, not for the design or gameplay which is good, but the texturing is hideous.

Note to self: Make hideous, but good maps to annoy Use3D. :P

Seriously, isn't Hell supposed to be disorienting? Personally I like E3M4.

"And that's the end of that chapter" :P

IMO, the worst map in Doom2 would probably be map09, The Pit. Why? Fucking ugly texture/flat usage, the map just plain makes no sense, and I always manage to get hung up near that damn blue key. All in all, a repulsive map, and one that never should of made it into the Doom2 IWAD. Ugh.

I don't like the chasm almost solely because of the retarded inch-wide ledge walking, plus the texturing was pretty shitty and the level was fairly under-detailed.

though now that others mention it, i think i might change mine to nirvana. that was just crap. in fact now that i think of it almost all the doom 2 levels are. maps 02, 04, 11, 14, 22, and 29 are the only *really* good ones.

I think the crusher is interesting, the whole 'crusher' area was a bit big and dodgy though. I loved the dark area at the beginning with the revenant running around, and the first outside part, with the hellknight.
The pit used to be my favourite map, its not 'realistic' as such but has a very unique design.
I love Nirvana, because its small and really surreal. I love the part with the nukage and all those key doors. I also love the start, with imps in front of you.
Bloodfalls has some great stuff in it too, a great deathmatch level as well.
The chasm IS pretty average, and weird. Icon of Sin is good Coop, I think that level 31 is fucked. Suburbs isnt on my favourites list either...

I don't really hate any of them. Some are more run than others. The Suburbs on the PSX was great for deathmatch. It featured a megasphere that was fairly hard to get to. Often times I would let the other player shoot me in the back while I went for it. Then as soon as I grabbed it, the other guy would realize he was in trouble and start running. Mwa ha ha hah!

Catacombs or Monster Condo.

Catacombs because I find it generally uninteresting, and Monster Condo because it's dark and scary and hard and I haven't played it much. Oh yeah maybe the Courtyard too.

nobbjob said:

The pit used to be my favourite map, its not 'realistic' as such but has a very unique design.

Yes, I really like map09 too, exactly as you say not realistic but it plays like a dream imo.

Mt. Erebus...or whatever. sure it's not doom 2, but it's rediculusly ugly...seriously

hmm, map12, too ugly, imo...

My fav maps in doom2 are map09 and some more...
I just love map09... :)

magikal said:

Yes, I really like map09 too, exactly as you say not realistic but it plays like a dream imo.

IMO, it plays like a dream. A bad dream, that is.

The Chasm (fucking balance act) and Monster Condo (Boring music and constant dark rooms - both ruining the fun of bagging the monsters).