Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[Ultimate Doom Community Project] Solar Struggle - Making maps where names are pre-selected (Development thread) [Looking for artists] [WE HAVE ALL THE MAPS]

5 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

E2M5: Abandoned Tunnels

First finished version.

Might come to add details later. Will definitely come to add difficulty, didn't have time for it today, so it's UV only.

cool map... but

did I select the wrong map format?

your map is in boom format according to ultimate doom builder?

3 hours ago, CBM said:

cool map... but

did I select the wrong map format?

your map is in boom format according to ultimate doom builder?

Your Doom Builder doesn't know what format my map is in (Configuration is stored separately), you need to set it manually to "Doom: Doom (Doom format)".

7 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Your Doom Builder doesn't know what format my map is in (Configuration is stored separately), you need to set it manually to "Doom: Doom (Doom format)".

ok, thank god... I am using "Doom: Doom (Doom format)" in my map.

6 minutes ago, Theperson said:

Question
How long should maps be?

Not very long. If it takes more than 10 minutes to complete, you probably overdid it somewhat.
(That assumes you don't get stuck on a specific combat piece of course, and just grind instead and the level just won't end)

The recommended size also should keep your map from getting too long.

20 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

E2M5: Abandoned Tunnels

First finished version.

Might come to add details later. Will definitely come to add difficulty, didn't have time for it today, so it's UV only.

Cool map, there is a definite downward bound feel to it. One problem: I wasn't able to 100% it. Secrets, yes, but not the kills. There were four imps that wouldn't teleport in. I tried it in PrBoom and CrispyDoom, both had the same outcome. I don't know why; with IDDT I could clearly see the imps moving back and forth in their closet, but that's all.

image.png.8ae6d03b80434d5481b425f2d6c4cfe1.png

13 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Cool map, there is a definite downward bound feel to it. One problem: I wasn't able to 100% it. Secrets, yes, but not the kills. There were four imps that wouldn't teleport in. I tried it in PrBoom and CrispyDoom, both had the same outcome. I don't know why; with IDDT I could clearly see the imps moving back and forth in their closet, but that's all.

image.png.8ae6d03b80434d5481b425f2d6c4cfe1.png

They can't cross the linedef far enough to teleport. Odd that the impassable wall is angled like that, because if it wasn't they would be able to teleport. Almost looks as if @ViolentBeetle was trying to prevent then teleporting while testing their level and forgot to straighten it out again.

On 10/6/2021 at 3:19 AM, myolden said:

E1M1: Detention Facility

Mapper: myolden

Music: Nightfall by stewboy

Difficulty settings: Yes

Coop support: Yes, with monsters

Deathmatch support: No

Screenshots:

Reveal hidden contents

e1m1-01.png.90805cb9d12df386f774eaa6ecb1dd19.pnge1m1-02.png.442fe679e98f5516ebe7ec24fe24d411.pnge1m1-03.png.b8f07e23114a1ef36df2631130dc5d62.pnge1m1-04.png.a5846eddf10b419b5b9eae8263abe410.png

E1M1 - Detention Facility.zip

Excellent level! But I wasn't able to complete it? I feel like the red door should open normally as any other, but it sort twitches, makes the door sound but ultimately stays shut when I try to open it. At first I thought it was a deliberate trap, and the door would have to opened thru other means, but I couldn't figure out any. Looking in the DoomBuilder, it looks like a normal door (except for some trap shenanigans involved :^) ).

I test played again in PrBoom (CompLevel 3) and CrispyDoom, and both behave the same.

P.S. I'm already humbled by the efforts of others :-D

33 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Excellent level! But I wasn't able to complete it? I feel like the red door should open normally as any other, but it sort twitches, makes the door sound but ultimately stays shut when I try to open it. At first I thought it was a deliberate trap, and the door would have to opened thru other means, but I couldn't figure out any. Looking in the DoomBuilder, it looks like a normal door (except for some trap shenanigans involved :^) ).

I test played again in PrBoom (CompLevel 3) and CrispyDoom, and both behave the same.

The line inside the door screws with its idea of what destination it has. Mapper already uploaded a fix (I didn't have a chance to test it) on Discord channel.

On 10/7/2021 at 2:33 PM, RHhe82 said:

Here's a fixed version, I forgot to update the link in my original post.

E1M1 - Detention Facility v5.zip

Edited by myolden

The was some confusion regarding map format, so I'd like to stress out that we are doing Doom and not Boom mapping. Best port to test everything is Crispy Doom.

Muumi_E3M8_v2.zip

E3M8: Space Elevator

Mapper: Muumi

Music: Escaping the Mechanism by Jimmy

Difficulty settings: yes

Coop support: yes, also coop monsters

Deathmatch support: no

Got my map to a state where I feel like it is finished

E1M7: Traffic Control

By: LoreCaco37

Music: Atomic By Jimmy

Coop support: yes, but very jankily

Traffic Control v1_0_2.zip

E1M7A.png

On 10/2/2021 at 8:17 AM, ViolentBeetle said:

I want this wad to look like a homage to original Doom, so while making it look good is desirable, try not to overdetail it.

As far as what I'm seeing almost every map so far breaks this. If this rule is left in the maps that do stick to a Doom 1 style are gonna look like crap in comparison

1 minute ago, 7Soul said:

As far as what I'm seeing almost every map so far breaks this. If this rule is left in the maps that do stick to a Doom 1 style are gonna look like crap in comparison

Most of the mapping so far fits my idea of "not overdetailing". I suppose it's not reasonable to expect something as simple as Doom originally was.

MAP: E1M6
Name: Visitor center
Music: Goldrush by Stewboy
(Coop friendly with no additional monsters, no DM support.)
E1M6VCenter v1.1.rar

Spoiler

VCenter.jpg.6eedf1434efc0a19e74aafe145113f20.jpg

Just a nice, cozy lobby where nothing bad will happen... trust me.

On 10/9/2021 at 12:47 AM, LoreCaco37 said:

Got my map to a state where I feel like it is finished

E1M7: Traffic Control

By: LoreCaco37

Music: Atomic By Jimmy

Coop support: yes, but very jankily

Traffic Control v1_0_2.zip

E1M7A.png

Sorry for being silent, wasn't able to check out your map right away. Pretty good stuff. Interesting style.

There's a few things that bother me. First of all, green building. It does this:

doom17.pngdoom18.png

You should raise the sky around it to match the rest of the map. Also there's a door that disappears into the sky, for good measure.

I also think you should make secret door not unpegged, and just align it normally. And I don't entirely like solid doors made out of key markers, but that's not as important.

Also the monsters coming out of the floor look a bit weird, sometimes they get drawn through it. Perhaps you could make an actual lowered platform that raises on trigger or hide them behind walls or doors instead?

6 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Also the monsters coming out of the floor look a bit weird, sometimes they get drawn through it. Perhaps you could make an actual lowered platform that raises on trigger or hide them behind walls or doors instead?

I was aiming to re-create an effect from Speed of Doom sometimes referred to (at least by Mt. Pain27) as "Pop-up Monster Closets" I have re-tooled the map a bit in order to keep the pop-up monster closet but mitigate the demons showing up through the ground.

2 minutes ago, LoreCaco37 said:

I was aiming to re-create an effect from Speed of Doom sometimes referred to (at least by Mt. Pain27) as "Pop-up Monster Closets" I have re-tooled the map a bit in order to keep the pop-up monster closet but mitigate the demons showing up through the ground.

I figured that. Just looks a bit weird up-close, though it's not critical.

Putting the boundaries of the box closer to the monsters and adding spacers to reset the fake floor effect fixes the issue so it wasn't a very big issue

I have went through the opening post and marked everything that's been submitted and doesn't have major issues as (Done). Please check that you are not forgotten or that I didn't jump the gun and marked you by mistake.

@LoreCaco37 There's one thing that came up in our Discord, the secret with blue armor and soul sphere can trap the player. It's probably best if it doesn't go back up again - or if you want it to get up, lower the ceiling so player couldn't fit on it and send it down again.

Opps, I didn't notice that. I didn't know there was a discord to go to and I can fix this rather quickly.

As of 9:34 EDT. this has been fixed

Traffic Contol v_1_1_2.zip

Edited by LoreCaco37 : zip file contained outdated changelog